Dundee FC vs St Johnstone.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No complaints today, despite Tommy Wright's claims that it was a good performance. We maybe moved the ball about alright in some areas of the park but nowhere it mattered and whatever stats say about possession or corners, I didn't feel Saints were hard done by in any respect. Nothing too self-inflicted about the goals either, which is maybe unusual in these heavy defeats we like to throw in.

Saints are usually good at stopping the short ball from the goalkeeper but the laziness there ahead of the opener permeated our performance. Hateley was able to slip but Dundee still managed to recover easily and it was a flowing move, ending with a good cross and finish. Looked a smashing finish for the second as well whilst O'Hara typified the difference in the midfields in the lead-up to the third. Can point that finger of blame at Paton there but O'Hara still did well and it was a good ball by Hateley.

After that Saints had plenty of ball and a good few more corners but Dundee, especially through McGowan's shot, were probably more likely to get a third than us a consolation. Maybe Hartley stumbled upon today's system with O'Dea and Gomis out but it worked and McGowan certainly didn't look the player who is supposed to be having a poor season. Not sure you'd pick out a failure for Dundee but the fact you could select a few for Saints in that category just further emphasises that it can't be described as the good performance that Tommy Wright suggests.

I know Biggie will already have the tl;dr GIF lined up but only other thing I'd say is that my first impressions of Paul Paton were that it wouldn't work for him at Saints. He improved slightly - although his MoM on Wednesday was a nonsense - but today emphasised everything that is wrong with him, even ignoring his startling lack of mobility when O'Hara robbed him for the final goal. Anderson and Shaughnessy certainly didn't need him on their toes and in the first half he was far too deep to contribute in breaking up the play. Fingers crossed that Chris Millar is starting to put his injury problems behind him and we'll see far less of Paton. He must be due a suspension anyway as he seems to get booked every week, after which, he's even more ineffective in matches.

9 minutes ago, Radford said:

No complaints today, despite Tommy Wright's claims that it was a good performance. We maybe moved the ball about alright in some areas of the park but nowhere it mattered and whatever stats say about possession or corners, I didn't feel Saints were hard done by in any respect. Nothing too self-inflicted about the goals either, which is maybe unusual in these heavy defeats we like to throw in.

Saints are usually good at stopping the short ball from the goalkeeper but the laziness there ahead of the opener permeated our performance. Hateley was able to slip but Dundee still managed to recover easily and it was a flowing move, ending with a good cross and finish. Looked a smashing finish for the second as well whilst O'Hara typified the difference in the midfields in the lead-up to the third. Can point that finger of blame at Paton there but O'Hara still did well and it was a good ball by Hateley.

After that Saints had plenty of ball and a good few more corners but Dundee, especially through McGowan's shot, were probably more likely to get a third than us a consolation. Maybe Hartley stumbled upon today's system with O'Dea and Gomis out but it worked and McGowan certainly didn't look the player who is supposed to be having a poor season. Not sure you'd pick out a failure for Dundee but the fact you could select a few for Saints in that category just further emphasises that it can't be described as the good performance that Tommy Wright suggests.

I know Biggie will already have the tl;dr GIF lined up but only other thing I'd say is that my first impressions of Paul Paton were that it wouldn't work for him at Saints. He improved slightly - although his MoM on Wednesday was a nonsense - but today emphasised everything that is wrong with him, even ignoring his startling lack of mobility when O'Hara robbed him for the final goal. Anderson and Shaughnessy certainly didn't need him on their toes and in the first half he was far too deep to contribute in breaking up the play. Fingers crossed that Chris Millar is starting to put his injury problems behind him and we'll see far less of Paton. He must be due a suspension anyway as he seems to get booked every week, after which, he's even more ineffective in matches.

Fair, with no temper tantrum. You've gone up in my estimation. Thank you.

Note about our CH's today finally feel they're coming onto their own. O'Dea massively helped Gadz come onto a game whilst he learned English. Now Gadz was marshalling Julen about today and if Julen produced a trademark Neil Mcgregor moment, Gadz would have his back. Gadz won everything in the air and Julen broke up countless attacks which gave Bain an easy day.

Can't remember Bain being troubled at any point today other than when St Johnstone cracked the bar which is testament to the two CH's today.

I thought Julen's time at Dens was coming to an end but based on the past two home games him and Gadz can maybe have a stake at keeping O'Dea, McPake and Gomis out with performances like that.

24 minutes ago, Radford said:

Radford; dr

Note about our CH's today finally feel they're coming onto their own. O'Dea massively helped Gadz come onto a game whilst he learned English. Now Gadz was marshalling Julen about today and if Julen produced a trademark Neil Mcgregor moment, Gadz would have his back. Gadz won everything in the air and Julen broke up countless attacks which gave Bain an easy day.

Can't remember Bain being troubled at any point today other than when St Johnstone cracked the bar which is testament to the two CH's today.

I thought Julen's time at Dens was coming to an end but based on the past two home games him and Gadz can maybe have a stake at keeping O'Dea, McPake and Gomis out with performances like that.

I think Julen, Kosta and Odea are our 3 best center halfs evem when all 5 are fully fit and available especially when playing 3 at the back.

If in a back 4 then its Odea and Kosta for me, just preference.

Wright was surely expecting Dundee to play with three at the back, so I can't see why he would play just MacLean up. I think Swanson should have been playing off him but was instead moved wider when Wright saw Dundee were playing a back four and El Bakhtaoui wide right. Could be wrong but just MacLean against a back three doesn't make much sense to me.

I would say Swanson playing more centrally off MacLean might have occupied Extabeguren and Gadzhalov a bit more but then everyone saw his performance today. He looked like he'd been out since Wednesday night on a booze and Xmas dinner bender. I'd have hooked him at HT.

34 minutes ago, Radford said:

An older couple in front of me kept looking behind and giving me and my son sour looks during the first half. Had no idea why until Paton gave away the ball for the goal in the second half. I blamed him and said he should make way for Wotherspoon. The woman turned around and said, 'Can you shut up about Paton? You've criticised him all match'. I did the decent thing and kept my mouth shut until he was subbed. At that point she applauded him enthusiastically off the pitch and left with her husband a minute later.

Paton's parents found.

Lets do this one quickly. We were okay but couldnae score, we got beat fair n square. I am already over it. Nae rants. To all the team at St.Johnstone FC. Thanks again for another great year. Now away oot and get rubbered..

Gubbed = 10 points.

Shite = 8 points

Owned = 9 points

Tear stained cheeks  = 27 points.

Loosers = 7 points

Happy new year fuckers.  ;-)

Lets do this one quickly. We were okay but couldnae score, we got beat fair n square. I am already over it. Nae rants. To all the team at St.Johnstone FC. Thanks again for another great year. Now away oot and get rubbered..

Gubbed = 10 points.
Shite = 8 points
Owned = 9 points
Tear stained cheeks  = 27 points.
Loosers = 7 points
Happy new year fuckers.  ;-)

No, let's take it more slowly.

You cûnts were owned today, the only plus point being you now have a new arsehole to shîte out of.

Is Tommy Wright not considered a tactical genius on here? Hartley taught him a lesson today and if you'd ask Dee's they probably wouldn't put tactics down as his strong point.

Swanson clapping the Bobby Cox stand at the end was surreal after his hissy fit 10 minutes earlier. Not sure if it was supposed to be sarcastic or what as he was getting a pretty rough time of it.

Mentioned it already but I'll mention it again, Haber is the difference to our team. Pretty sure we tried to play a similar game against St Johnstone at Mcdiarmid earlier in the season but had Yordi up top instead. Night and day. Haber's a strange one as he never really looks like scoring but he manages to single handedly bring the whole of the midfield up the pitch and into the game time and time again.

Archived