The big cycling attitudes survey 2016

2 hours ago, statts1976uk said:

What I really want to know is what a cyclist did to upset you so? Did they steal your significant other or was you significant other a cyclist and left you?

Personally nothing my friend.   You'd be misrepresenting me if you think I *hate* all cyclists, and - at the end of the day - we all want to see a harmonious tarmac!  

A common criticism of road cyclists is they're selfish, self-centred and silly.  Hoy might be a great example but there's others like Graeme Obree.   Sure he won many races and set world records but people remember the finish line, not the starting blocks, where Graeme put mother Obree in tremendous strain by dismantling the family washing machine.   We've all seen the pictures of Obree with medals round his expressionless coupon.   I guarantee you can't find footage of mother Obree extending her overdraft to financially facilitate the daily trip to the laundrette so her p***k of a son can pedal about pretending to be a fusion between a bike and a washing machine. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

Personally nothing my friend.   You'd be misrepresenting me if you think I *hate* all cyclists, and - at the end of the day - we all want to see a harmonious tarmac!  

A common criticism of road cyclists is they're selfish, self-centred and silly.  Hoy might be a great example but there's others like Graeme Obree.   Sure he won many races and set world records but people remember the finish line, not the starting blocks, where Graeme put mother Obree in tremendous strain by dismantling the family washing machine.   We've all seen the pictures of Obree with medals round his expressionless coupon.   I guarantee you can't find footage of mother Obree extending her overdraft to financially facilitate the daily trip to the laundrette so her p***k of a son can pedal about pretending to be a fusion between a bike and a washing machine. 

That is an accusation that could be levelled at all sportsmen and women can it not? So why cycling in particular? Do you hate Formula One because Lewis Hamiltons father had to work multiple jobs to be able to fund his karting? 

I also think you should read Obree's story as it is one that explores his mental illnesses and how hard he has fought against them to be able to reach the upper echelons of his sport. The washing machine he took apart belonged to him and his wife BTW!

1 hour ago, statts1976uk said:

That is an accusation that could be levelled at all sportsmen and women can it not? So why cycling in particular? Do you hate Formula One because Lewis Hamiltons father had to work multiple jobs to be able to fund his karting? 

I also think you should read Obree's story as it is one that explores his mental illnesses and how hard he has fought against them to be able to reach the upper echelons of his sport. The washing machine he took apart belonged to him and his wife BTW!

Did he even ask his poor wife? Thought not. Having to bash the laundry in the bath with a wooden spoon probably lead to a weakening of the heart I shouldn't wonder.

• 3 months later...

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/cyclists-should-pay-road-tax-and-insurance-267308

An absolute no-brainer for me.   

Cyclists are a huge insurance risk.   
Cyclists pollute the air with their filthy attitude towards normal car drivers.    

Let's tax the chain off them.   If it takes them longer to save up for a car, so-be-it.   

#carsmatter  

Fermers moaning about slower road users causing delays lol

First of all I'd have no issue with road tax for bikes, it's emissions based afterall (stupid fermers) If they're part of a club then they'll be covered by insurance.

If i was taking it easy and traffic was stuck behind me then I'd pull in and let them past (unless they're acting twatty) 

2 hours ago, bennett said:

Fermers moaning about slower road users causing delays lol

First of all I'd have no issue with road tax for bikes, it's emissions based afterall (stupid fermers) If they're part of a club then they'll be covered by insurance.

If i was taking it easy and traffic was stuck behind me then I'd pull in and let them past (unless they're acting twatty) 

Do you cycle,  Bennett? 

4 hours ago, bennett said:

I try for a few times a week.

Appreciate the honest and swift nature of your reply,  bennett.   

I see from your profile you claim to be "In a strange land" you "try to cycle" and you're suffering from "negative waves".      Now I'm not currently working as a psychologist (because its a subject I know nothing about)  - but it was crystal clear to me all this biking around is getting you down.     

Let me paint a picture for you.   It's 2001  Lagos Portugal, I'm with my vastly overweight ex-wife Moria, who's lured me into hiring a tandem bike for a daily hire after a bout of attention seeking women's strop.     I use some of my Jetski money to hire this heavy bike for a full day.      It was 32 degrees, and we cycled this thing for a solid 40 mins.   It was the most depressing transportation motions of my life out with the Megabus brand.  

To this day I can remember peddling up a steep hill leaving Lagos to the west and thinking how much easier this would be in a Lexus F-Sport.   I was wasting my life.   

Thankfully the vendor agreed to an early termination for our hire and charged me only the 1/2 day rate.   I used the remaining funds to buy a huge cigar,  fridge magnet and some piri piri chicken.   

Me and Moira have since separated, but we're on speaking terms - since Christmas 2016.    

You seem to be in a dark place ( much like the Rangers ).   Perhaps it's time to sell the bike and put your wellbeing first ?   

I have a suspicion (no scientific proof) that cyclists slow down normal traffic enough to make a negative contribution to emissions.  1 cyclist slowing down 5 cars by 20 kph for 800 metres = 2 litres of petrol or 2 quid.  

b*****ds.  And they're not actually going anywhere - they're just out for a jolly.

2 minutes ago, The DA said:

I have a suspicion (no scientific proof) that cyclists slow down normal traffic enough to make a negative contribution to emissions.  1 cyclist slowing down 5 cars by 20 kph for 800 metres = 2 litres of petrol or 2 quid.  

b*****ds.  And they're not actually going anywhere - they're just out for a jolly.

For me, your third sentence hits the wheel on the spoke.   And I say that in all seriousness - although I disagree with the mathematic calculations of the previous two.  

Transportation is a beautiful thing.   The vision of moving from location to location to location - they should make a TV show about it -   yet these self-serving sweaty paupers are peddling about with the sole intention of extirpating the enjoyment of those who actively participate in necessary transportation.   

Archived