The big cycling attitudes survey 2016

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Looking forward to meeting you in the heart of #perthshire in January to fill out your questionnaire.

Sounds like you are going dogging.  You can't go dogging on a bike, that's for certain.

When I cycled to work it was on tracks and paths and I only used roads very early in the morning.  No fun cycling in Edinburgh during rush-hour, it's bad enough driving here.

I don't really understand the above two posts about winding people up.  What's the point?

1 hour ago, statts1976uk said:

My favourite part is when they tell you that  you have no rights as you don't pay road tax!

Heard that many times, always remind them that road tax is emissions based.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

When I cycled to work it was on tracks and paths and I only used roads very early in the morning.  No fun cycling in Edinburgh during rush-hour, it's bad enough driving here.

I don't really understand the above two posts about winding people up.  What's the point?

My retort is in response to some of the stupid questions in that "survey". Someone has gone to an awful lot of trouble just to say that they hate cyclists.

My retort is in response to some of the stupid questions in that "survey". Someone has gone to an awful lot of trouble just to say that they hate cyclists.

He's a long term permabanned Walter Mitty troll.

Good evening, and a very merry Christmas to all.

Many of you will remember the campaign we started in late 2014 to help bridge to gap between road cyclists and the rest of the human race.   During 2014 we held 3 street stalls and surveyed over 2,000 people.   Responses was generally positive with the vast majority of non-cyclists supporting our work; sadly one of our hard working team was physically assaulted ( and hospitalised )  after confronting a cyclist who'd positioned his bike 18 inches over the advanced stop line at a particularly busy crossroads.   This was the exception, not the rule, after wrapping up campaign 1 in Feb 2015 we agreed that it should only be run biannually, unless cycling standards regress, again.  
Key finding from our first campaign:
  •  36% of respondents had been attacked either verbally or physically by a cyclist in the last 12 months.  
  • 18% of cyclists own a car or motorbike.  
  • 92% of non-cyclists have seen a cyclist skipping traffic lights. 
  • 47% of cyclists admit to skipping red lights
  • 97% of respondents thoughts cyclists should not be allowed on motorways 
  • 60% are in favour of increasing the number of cycle tracks
  • 71% of respondents believe that bikes should not be allowed on pavements
  • 59% believe cyclists should be regulated via licences.   
  • 73% thought Chris Hoy was a poor or very poor role model for children

The plan is the hit the streets in the middle of January to gauge the feeling of the nation.   We're holding street stalls in Crieff, Perth and Callander in late Jan with our questionnaire.   After that we plan another round of videoing cyclists commuting into and from Stirling, Perth, Edinburgh and Dundee in the first quarter of 2017, and offering corrective advice.  

We are open to amending our questionnaire; so sensible suggestions welcomed!  

Q1.   Do you own a bicycle ?  
Q2.   Should it be a legal requirement to wear a helmet ?  
Q3.   Should cyclists be allowed on any of our roads ?  
Q4.   Should cyclists be allowed on dual carriageways ?  
Q5.   Should cyclists be allowed on motorways ?  
Q6.   Have you been attacked (either verbally or physically ) by a cyclist in the last 12 months ?  
Q7.   Should it be a legal requirement for a cyclist to be fully insured before riding on the road ?  
Q8.   Should cyclists be allowed to ride in bus lanes ?  
Q9.   Are you in favour of advanced stop lines for bikes ?  
Q10. Should cyclists face lower speed limits than cars in built up areas ?  
Q11.  Do you agree that cyclists should be allowed to vote ?  
Q12.  Do you agree that cyclists should be allowed to ride 4 or 5 astride, hampering overtaking for faster moving vehicles ?   
Q13.  Have you seen a cyclist skip the red lights in the last 12 months ?  
Q14.  Do you agree that bikes should be fitted with airbags as standard ?  
Q15.  Should bikes be allowed to use our pavements ?   

Thanks in advance and lets make 2017, the safest yet on our roads!  

Bicycles are cool.

Possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen was a guy on a bicycle smoking.

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Heard that many times, always remind them that road tax is emissions based.

Yes, cyclists do get even more angry than usual when you mention taxation.  You can understand it because cyclists are normally students or casual workers where money is tight.  

What we recommend is to engage them, but to do if with banter.  

Examples:  

(Cyclist)  "road tax is emissions based, and bikes emit nothing"     (Me)  "Mate, I'd rather emit carbon dioxide from my car than the anger emitting from your sweaty mouth".

(Cyclist) "We have zero emissions"  (Me) "Mate, the only thing you have which is zero is your bank account.   I'm a house owner" 

Strong answers, but answers designed to defuse the situation.   Because cyclists are real people who deserve a helping hand out of the financial situations they've created.    

I suggest a compromise where cyclists should be restricted to canal pathways (so long as pedestrians and horses pulling canal boats still have priority) and the hard shoulders of motorways. That way they could still crisscross most cities and get around the country a bit faster, more safely and without inconveniencing normal motorists. It would not be beyond the wit of people to establish links between the motorways and canals, they do a similar thing for hedgehogs.

Q1.   Do you own a bicycle ?  Yes
Q2.   Should it be a legal requirement to wear a helmet ?  No
Q3.   Should cyclists be allowed on any of our roads ?  Yes
Q4.   Should cyclists be allowed on dual carriageways ?  Only if there is no adjacent cycle lane
Q5.   Should cyclists be allowed on motorways ?  No
Q6.   Have you been attacked (either verbally or physically ) by a cyclist in the last 12 months ?  No
Q7.   Should it be a legal requirement for a cyclist to be fully insured before riding on the road ?  No 
Q8.   Should cyclists be allowed to ride in bus lanes ?  Yes
Q9.   Are you in favour of advanced stop lines for bikes ?  Yes
Q10. Should cyclists face lower speed limits than cars in built up areas ? No
Q11.  Do you agree that cyclists should be allowed to vote ?  Yes

Q12 Do  you agree that cyclists should be allowed to ride 4 or 5 astride, hampering overtaking for faster moving vehicles ?  No 
Q13.  Have you seen a cyclist skip the red lights in the last 12 months ?  No
Q14.  Do you agree that bikes should be fitted with airbags as standard ?  No
Q15.  Should bikes be allowed to use our pavements ?   They're not allowed on our pavements 

56 minutes ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

Yes, cyclists do get even more angry than usual when you mention taxation.  You can understand it because cyclists are normally students or casual workers where money is tight.  

Examples:  

(Cyclist)  "road tax is emissions based, and bikes emit nothing"     (Me)  "Mate, I'd rather emit carbon dioxide from my car than the anger emitting from your sweaty mouth".

(Cyclist) "We have zero emissions"  (Me) "Mate, the only thing you have which is zero is your bank account.   I'm a house owner" 

Strong answers, but answers designed to defuse the situation.   Because cyclists are real people who deserve a helping hand out of the financial situations they've created.    

Thank you for the helping hand, without your support I wouldn't be able to find my Bianchi Oltre XR4 with full Di2 most useful in leaving one's squat to head to the nearest soup kitchen!

I know you are a "Walter Mitty" troll but what I really want to know is what a cyclist did to upset you so? Did they steal your significant other or was you significant other a cyclist and left you?

1 hour ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

Examples:  

^ Always wanted a bike, never got one.

3 hours ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

For clarification PB, kicking off a previous thread by posting a photo of someone else's house and claiming it as your own doesn't count as being a "house owner". 

Soz, m9. 

Archived