Rangers v Celtic. 31st Dec

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, when we debate the 90s, you're ignoring the first 7 years of that decade? [emoji23] Aye ok.

The Rangers team now is on a par with the Celtic team back then, ie able to beat the other 10 teams fairly regularly, but a gulf in quality between themselves and Celtic, as there was between Celtic and Rangers then.

Celtic didn't become a real force to be reckoned with until Martin O'neill arrived with serious dosh available to spend.

Well Considering I was born in 86 from the age of 4 1990 is a bit of a haze.

Pretty sure I said after 97

Haha you were talking about the 90s, you can't just disregard the vast majority of the 90s to suit your argument.

Even then we were signing players like Vidar Riseth and they were spending millions on the likes of Numan, Van Bronkhorst etc. 99/00 season we finished 21 points behind a treble winning Rangers.

Between 1989 and 2000 we were mainly shite with one title in 98 and a couple of cup wins. It wasn't until Martin O'Neill came in that we really started to be successful on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, Sx Drugz N Martin Jol said:

To achieve what tho?? I think Armstrong is a terrific player as is the young left back but if someone comes in for them you can bet your bottom dollar they are offski. At best celtic can offer them a smaller contract with maybe playing in the group stages of the champions league and then we find out how mediocre these players actually are. Yes true but Rangers and Celtic were of a similar standard back then so achieving a treble was a harder ask..... Celtic literally have no competition anymore.

Without serious investment bankrupting themselves From other clubs mainly rangers I have no doubt in my mind that 10 in a row will happen. Let's face it Rangers are still Celtics nearest rival and the gulf is staggering.

Difference between then and now is there were teams outside the OF that could have won the league.  Aberdeen went to the last day.  Hearts almost did it.  Even Motherwell could have won the league if they hadn't lost the last two matches to relegated teams (Dundee Utd and St. Johnstone).
If I remember correctly Motherwell beat Rangers 11 times over the 90s.
These days there really is no competition for Celtic.

That's a fair point but Aberdeen have given us a decent challenge over the past 2 seasons and had a realistic shout at winning the league.

In the 90s Rangers had one of the biggest budgets not only in Scotland but in the entire U.K while we couldn't spend a penny. They also had the benefit of being able to attract Englands best players due to the European ban in the early 90s. They were arguably the best team in the U.K. during the early 90s and able to buy pretty much any player they wanted in the world.

While we do have a vastly superior budget now we don't have the luxury of shopping in the big markets like Rangers had back then.

From 1997 you've won the league on 12 occasions??? Finishing 2nd on every other occasion seems like a huge gap right enough

So what?! Your original point was that when Rangers were winning trebles in the 90s we were of a similar standard which is bollocks.

We have won 3 trebles in our History and only one in my lifetime and I'm 32. To expect any team to win a treble is just mental. If it is achieved it's an incredible season.

14 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Haha you were talking about the 90s, you can't just disregard the vast majority of the 90s to suit your argument.

Even then we were signing players like Vidar Riseth and they were spending millions on the likes of Numan, Van Bronkhorst etc. 99/00 season we finished 21 points behind a treble winning Rangers.

Between 1989 and 2000 we were mainly shite with one title in 98 and a couple of cup wins. It wasn't until Martin O'Neill came in that we really started to be successful on a regular basis.

Only 3 trophies in 11 years? Diddums.

2 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

So what?! Your original point was that when Rangers were winning trebles in the 90s we were of a similar standard which is bollocks.

We have won 3 trebles in our History and only one in my lifetime and I'm 32. To expect any team to win a treble is just mental. If it is achieved it's an incredible season.

By the time my father was 32 he'd seen his team win 1 trophy, never mind a treble! :lol:

Personally think we've played a blinder, this victory and points gap going into the break is perfect for us and our late assault on the league title, Celtic will become overconfident and cocky thinking its over and not sign any big players or train as hard over the break and be unfit when the season resumes. Meanwhile we will sneakily sign top talent and make our late push for our crown come Feburary.

Only 3 trophies in 11 years? Diddums.

By the time my father was 32 he'd seen his team win 1 trophy, never mind a treble! :lol:

Don't really get your points to be honest. I'm not complaining or feeling hard done by, I'm simply pointing out facts.

20 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

To expect any team to win a treble is just mental. If it is achieved it's an incredible season.

Absolutely unadulterated horseshit.

Celtic's recent failures to win trebles have been tales of pathetic underachievement and I fully expect that to change this season.  It won't represent a remotely impressive feat when it does.

31 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Since 2012 there has been absolutely no excuses for us not winning at least one treble mate.

4 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Would genuinely be surprised if Bennett was coming out with that shite.

I know he can slaver some pish at times on here but I never saw him bring that garbage up like other Rangers fans do, I suppose he got binned for a reason mind you but didnt have him down as one who uses the child abuse stuff for mud slinging.

Agreed.

That doesn't really sound like Bennett's style at all.  I actually like him as a poster.  I also thought No8 was harshly treated on the same issue, back in the day.

Personally think we've played a blinder, this victory and points gap going into the break is perfect for us and our late assault on the league title, Celtic will become overconfident and cocky thinking its over and not sign any big players or train as hard over the break and be unfit when the season resumes. Meanwhile we will sneakily sign top talent and make our late push for our crown come Feburary.

Rangers could sign Messi and Ronaldo today and they'd still not win the league.

49 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Vidar Riseth was expensive.

Celtic splurged serious money before and during 1999/00 season.... a season that Rangers did NOT win the treble in (Vidar Riseth scored the winning goal vs Aberdeen in the CIS final).

not sure of the point you are making, sorry.

Since 2012 there has been absolutely no excuses for us not winning at least one treble mate.

I completely disagree, it takes a fantastic team to win a treble and we simply haven't had that.

It's exceptionally difficult to win a treble and that is highlighted by the fact we've only managed it 3 times in our history and I don't see why that is any different since 2012.

Agreed.
That doesn't really sound like Bennett's style at all.  I actually like him as a poster.  I also thought No8 was harshly treated on the same issue, back in the day.

No he wasn't.

He'd had plenty of warnings for the BJK pish and fully deserved emptying for pushing it.

28 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Agreed.

Bennett's not banned, he's only relaxing in his longboat for a wee while.

Archived