El Buckfastico 2017 V1

44 minutes ago, waysider said:

I don't think it's fair to say the players weren't trying. They've been taught to play a certain way which can be very frustrating for the fans when things go wrong. We just aren't very good!

Nonsense. They've been taught to play ball to feet, yet today we lumped long ball after long ball and won pretty much none of the headers.

I don't know if it was a lack of effort or lack of quality, but like I said before, our squad is paper thin. We missed Leitch and obviously we'd nothing to replace him. Ian Russell on the wing was worse than a man down. Louden did more in 5 minutes than Russell did the entire game. Let's not even discuss that horror show at the back. Rovers fans ironic cheers every time Boateng did something right, tells the story.

Bizarre selection from Wilson today. I really hope that was just to showcase how light we are in order to get some more signings in.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Took this in today as local and on holiday. Both teams exceptionally poor, airdrie were far better when I saw them at start of season in league cup section. Rovers played to their strengths on the counter attack and the number 7 who scored both goals worked hard all game. That said he found it easy against a hopeless airdrie backline. No tempo to airdrie's many attacks and too often all the attackers were making the same run leading to congestion and the move petering out. One true moment of class was the airdrie goal, terrific hit.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head for me.

So effing slow. Didn't look up for it. Rovers played well, took their chances and played a solid second half. They didn't need to go out looking for more goals and the counter attack worked.

Two absolutely shocking goals to lose.

In fairness I thought that the suggestion that the players weren't trying was because we spend a lot of time passing the ball backwards which gets up everybody's goat when we're losing. I agree that we eventually started lumping the ball up the park.

As far as team selection goes, we must have had injuries or illness. Neither Leitch nor Stewart was on the bench. I don't know if Cairns is a midfield player but there were worse than him today.

I still say that he players were trying but they were mostly rubbish.

Typical Airdrie - gubbed in front of a big crowd and missed an opportunity to close the gap on Livingston. 

No creativity or cohesion in the midfield and a lack of urgency throughout the whole team and we ran out of ideas big time in the 2nd half. We missed Leitch badly and Hutton and Stewart were also big absentees as the 2nd half seemed to pass our midfield by. Cairns had a few okay touches and kept it simple but wasn't contributing anything going forward and TBF he doesn't strike me as that sort of player.

The goals we conceded were laughably bad once again. I hope the next player we bring in is a defender as Boateng is woeful and completely out of depth. Cannot trust him at all with his decision making, the ball at his feet or even the basic tenants of defending. A complete liability. Gorman was made a mug out of for their first goal too. I think there's a good player in Gorman but he has a mistake in him and he needs someone beside him to help him out which, he of course, isn't getting with Boateng. I'm sure even the best and most composed defenders in the world would make mistakes playing beside him. I feel sorry for McIntosh. He made a poor mistake today but up until then he was playing well and he is a fine player. 

McKay did nothing but too early and probably too poor a performance from the whole team to judge him. Ryan worked hard but wasn't going to get a break at all today and Russell was poor. 

And I've banged on about it before but our squad is so shallow. Another game crying out for a substitution or a change but once again there was nobody to bring off the bench who could change the game. Unlike last year's New Year's game at Cliftonhill. I'm hoping/assuming that we'll be adding to our squad over this coming month. 

Our set pieces are still terrible. 

Full credit to Rovers. Came with a game plan to let us pass the ball around aimlessly and then hit us on the break. Worked to a tee. Boyd game Boateng a torrid time the whole game.

Brown's goal was nice. 

Russell should have been hooked long before he was. And putting Schmidt on with a few minutes to go served absolutely no purpose. The squad is far too thin - there isn't anybody on the bench who can come on and make a real impact. As such, you would expect us to have a solid starting XI but we don't. As has been alluded to, we have been handicapped by poor squad building at the start of the season but Mark Wilson's inexperience is now starting to show. I wonder if Gordon Dalziel was at the game today.  

29 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

Russell should have been hooked long before he was. And putting Schmidt on with a few minutes to go served absolutely no purpose. The squad is far too thin - there isn't anybody on the bench who can come on and make a real impact. As such, you would expect us to have a solid starting XI but we don't. As has been alluded to, we have been handicapped by poor squad building at the start of the season but Mark Wilson's inexperience is now starting to show. I wonder if Gordon Dalziel was at the game today.  

I can't understand why we switch to 4-4-2 just to accommodate a loan player and then proceed to be ponderous and backward/square passing for much of the time. Looks like manager has no confidence in our other midfield players( McLaughlin) or young right back( Higgins) Russell was poor but when did he last play right midfield in that formation? Looked like the young guy had never met Ryan till today. Shocking day all round but top four is all I would have expected this season. Roll on Hampden

Our defending is laughable at times. We managed to concede two goals from maybe 3 chances Rovers had today. Simply not good enough. Boetang was all know is a nightmare but Gorman isn't much better to be honest. Doesn't attack the ball and players too easily drift off him.

We had absolutely no Plan B.  It was obvious by the 50th, 55th, 60th, 65th minute that NOTHING was working. That's where the manager should try to do SOMETHING to change things about.  For the last half hour of that game we just passed back and then lofted the ball forward straight to their defenders. No aim, no direction just floundering. Just sinking in shit!

For me the blame lays with Wilson. The players were rank, but he should be the one to do something when things OBVIOUSLY aren't working! That's his effin' job!

♢♢♢

48 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I can't understand why we switch to 4-4-2 just to accommodate a loan player and then proceed to be ponderous and backward/square passing for much of the time. Looks like manager has no confidence in our other midfield players( McLaughlin) or young right back( Higgins) Russell was poor but when did he last play right midfield in that formation? Looked like the young guy had never met Ryan till today. Shocking day all round but top four is all I would have expected this season. Roll on Hampden

This!!

Does this not tell you that GD is picking the team. 

Win down at Stranraer then change to a 4-4-2 to accommodate a player that has never really done anything in the game!!

a cynic might say Airdrie look like heading down the route of playing the owners friends players, not sure if it is this way but change didn't suit players at all.

19 minutes ago, Yoda8 said:

A cynic might say Airdrie look like heading down the route of playing the owners friends players, not sure if it is this way but change didn't suit players at all.

Don't start with this shite. All through this season Russell has been a key player and has scored a significant number of our goals, regardless of whether they are from the spot or not. With Leitch and Stewart both out with illness and Hutton suspended the only option was to change the system and bring Russell and McKay in. 

I also completely disagree with the assertion "we were gubbed" - thats mock outrage at its finest and stinks of trying to stir things up. We weren't gubbed - yes we didn't play well - but on another day or a different 'keeper it could've been 3/4/5. 

The club continues to make big steps forward and every so often theres a result like this to remind us that we're Airdrie. Keep the faith. If two thirds of the 1600 who turned up today return then happy days. It was a tremendous support that won't be eclipsed this season in this league.

What a horrible game that was to watch. No pace, no creativity, no confidence, no clue.

Defence had a howler, none of them played well in my opinion. Gorman and Boateng were horrendous in the air and were bossed about by someone 5'7" with simple punts over the top.

Midfield were ok, Cairns did ok for his first start, loves a tackle but not a playmaker in anyway shape or form (yes I'm aware he is a defender to trade). Conroy was marked out of the game by the Albion players, always turning him to pass out towards MacDonald and Brown and really closing the field off to him. Russell wasn't great, yes playing out of position and tried his heart out in the first half, ran out of steam in the second half. Brown, cracking goal and played well and one of our best players today (not that it would have taken much) but generally either selfish or lazy imo.

Strikers wern't great today but got near enough no service the whole game. Long balls were being directed at Ryan for some odd reason when the new lad McKay seemed to be winning most of his aerial battles, really isn't Ryans game and was left trying to work miracles. New boy seems like he could be quite a catch if he gets the right service but looked like he had been wedged in just because he could be and didnt really work for him.

All in was a really poor game, not a great start to 2017.

I, like many others, walked away today raging at getting beat. Especially to the Rovers as we always like to get one over on them. However a few hours on and I see it a bit differently now. Yes, we were very poor but we were missing 3 players who would have started is they were available/fit. That's a big change for any team and definitely the biggest enforced change we've had to deal with in any game this season. We didn't get gubbed; we lost by one goal. Bar some good saves at the end cut could well have ended up a draw. 

I think we need to see the teams reaction next week now and hopefully we will have the missing theee players back.

i do believe we need another centre half though. That's a priority now. There's no competition in there to keep the players on their toes. So they can't get dropped if there's nobody to replace them.

It's easy to say Airdrie were missing players but Rovers were also missing their only two strikers and the two who have scored most of their goals.

why throw someone who has just signed in from the start and change a winning formation. 

Honest question , how many times do you think the manager(head coach)  has seen the boy McKay play?

why not play McLaughlin in MF , done ok earlier in season. 

Or at least change it when obviously not working

38 minutes ago, kerrdavidson95 said:

Don't start with this shite. All through this season Russell has been a key player and has scored a significant number of our goals, regardless of whether they are from the spot or not. With Leitch and Stewart both out with illness and Hutton suspended the only option was to change the system and bring Russell and McKay in. 

I also completely disagree with the assertion "we were gubbed" - thats mock outrage at its finest and stinks of trying to stir things up. We weren't gubbed - yes we didn't play well - but on another day or a different 'keeper it could've been 3/4/5. 

The club continues to make big steps forward and every so often theres a result like this to remind us that we're Airdrie. Keep the faith. If two thirds of the 1600 who turned up today return then happy days. It was a tremendous support that won't be eclipsed this season in this league.

Did anyone say 'gubbed'?

from what I read nobody complaining about Russell being brought back in, just that he's not a wide midfielder in a 442

My over-riding impression is that the team was cobbled together with Russell playing on the right wing to accommodate the 'wedged in' McKay. Wilson didn't know how to, or was reluctant to change it when it wasn't working. McKay shouldn't have started but when it became apparent that Russell couldn't play right wing, he should have been replaced early in the 2nd half or McKay subbed and Russell put up front. And as I said previously, what was Schmidt supposed to achieve coming on with a few minutes to go? Should have had a quarter of an hour at the very least. 

Archived