Sky Sports - GTF ?

Can't say I care enough about the analysis portion of games. I generally turn on the tv at kick off with the intention of missing the pre-amble and turn off at the final whistle. I'm surprised people appear to care as much as they do about it. The commentary in my opinion on BT though is exceptional. I'm slightly biased but I think Craigan is good and obviously cares, Sutton is a bit of a roaster but at least has an opinion and can have some reasonable discussion about the league and Derek Rae as a main commentator is superb, he's good at the Bundeliga too.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[emoji4] hope santa brings you a 10yr subscription to sky...

I do however agree, it is seen as basically a amateur league, but in reality you have to look at it on paper. Teams in third tier of English Football are generating more money than every other team outside of the OF. This year is now back to the same old shit we had 6 years ago Celtic top, Rangers second and the rest non entities. They will only care about Celtic versus Rangers from now on again unless one of you go bust again. then they might care a little of the rest of the teams. Pretty sure BT would be exactly the same if they got the same % of EPL games. sad but very true.

I just watch Alba, its good to see how diddy shite like utd are getting on. Hooray for the BBC.

Says the team that is near the bottom.Al give u big mouth u have some bottle writing shite like that.Diddy club my flecking God look in the mirror bellend.

12 minutes ago, arab1975 said:

Says the team that is near the bottom.Al give u big mouth u have some bottle writing shite like that.Diddy club my flecking God look in the mirror bellend.

98D056AA-593A-48CE-8D41-8BBA30A7265E-186-0000008197E605C4_tmp.png

5 hours ago, lonewolfie said:

Wondered whether they were 'caught out' insofar as they lost sound from the ground then had commentator-only sound - was Ian Crocker at the game or in a studio down south somewhere?

He was at the game, as always.

1 hour ago, Dindeleux said:

Worked well the last time.

Difference is there is a broadcaster able to take their place who

A. Give the game proper coverage

B. Have the financial muscle to pay a decent rights fee. Back in 2002 only the BBC were at the table with limited money available for a deal.

It truly is no surprise that the only posters arguing against BT Sport are those who support Rangers. BT have been critical of Rangers, and correctly so. The club was promoted in the summer and spent all summer drumming up their fans with a marketing campaign based on challenging Celtic for the title (#goingfor55), while their management, players and board in various soundbites made it clear that second was not good enough. £30 million was meant to be spent. When that didn't materialise, Sutton, Stewart and Craigan have rightly pointed out these deficiencies.

Let's be clear, BT Sport are so far ahead of Sky Sports in their coverage of Scottish football that it is embarrassing. The punditry is extensive, interesting and well researched on BT, while on Sky, it is non existent, outside of Neil McCann, who while a wee bit negative, is a good pundit. Derek Rae is a magnificent commentator - always well prepared, with interesting insights and statistics. Ian Crocker is rancid, does not appreciate the need to use silence to his advantage and generally has little flow to his commentaries. Has the odd great soundbite but that's all. Chris Sutton may be controversial and a bit of an arse at times, but he cares about the game, is well informed about every team and is opinionated - which every pundit should be. Andy Walker is bland by comparison and doesn't know much of the smaller teams in the league.

BT offer an hour long build up to games, with in-depth interviews, punditry and analysis, Sky barely have 15 minutes to scrape together a build up. The fact that BT came forward with offers for the playoffs and the League Cup shows how much they want to be involved with Scottish football. Their playoff coverage over the last two seasons has been outstanding, and has led to them gaining the rights to a number of the most dramatic games in Scottish football over that period. The Motherwell v Rangers playoff, Falkirk v Hibs and Killie v Falkirk games will live long in the memory.

Unlike the BBC, BT have the financial clout to back up their Sport operation, and it is time to say goodbye to Sky. They offer a third rate broadcast service to our game with poor coverage and frequent basic errors in reporting. The SPFL have already tied in with BT more extensively given the playoff and League Cup deals, and I suspect that this will continue with an exclusive deal for the League coverage in the next round of talks. If the Scottish FA had sense, they would also offer BT the chunk of rights Sky have for the Scottish Cup also.

On a small side note, I had the pleasure of bumping into Michael Stewart and Chris Sutton at Broxden services as me and my friends were on the way to Hamilton in October. The two of them took five minutes to chat to us about Scottish football and were warm, engaging and charming. Two really good guys.

Just now, Flybhoy said:

He has kind of hit the nail on the head though.

No really, they've just recycled last seasons Ronny D digs. 

Rather than rangers fans on here not liking bt, it appears to be just me. I only read his first paragraph tbf.

Archived