Bladerunner 2049

Homer Thompson

Blade Runner is amongst my absolute favourite films.  I've got more versions of it on bluray/dvd/vhs than I can remember, but I'm just not feeling it for this one yet and the teaser really hasn't done anything to change that.

Yep not sure there was any real need for a sequel n thought trailer was pretty underwhelming

Really looking forward to this. The original is one of my favourite films and Denis Vellenueve is currently one of my favourite directors. Glad Ridley Scott isn't helming after the disaster that was Prometheus.

Really enjoyed all 4 Villeneuve films that I've seen so far - Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario and Arrival - and particularly enjoyed the atmospheric work of Icelandic composer Johann Johannsson on the soundtracks to three of those movies. Johannsson is involved in this too. Should be good.

• 9 months later...

Although being a massive fan of the original I've got to say the trailers for 2049 haven't really done much for me up to this point. Going by the initial reactions of the reviewer's it would seem that they've hit it out the park! I so fucking hope so.

On 20/12/2016 at 15:41, KnightswoodBear said:

Blade Runner is amongst my absolute favourite films.  I've got more versions of it on bluray/dvd/vhs than I can remember, but I'm just not feeling it for this one yet and the teaser really hasn't done anything to change that.

I still pretty much feel like this about it.  Although I did watch the short film Bladerunner 2036 that they released as a teaser and it made me a bit more interested.   I will go and see it though. 

I'm never really wary of shite trailers tbh. Means they've decided to have everything good in the movie. Save for a couple of supposed money shots in there.

I'm always more wary of trailers that fit every thing in they can, because the movie is so shite, they need to work really hard to make it look good.

I've had high hopes for this for a while. It was a shrewd move securing the services of Denis Villeneuve, a director whose star is on the rise. I happen to think his style (tense, claustrophobic, atmospheric) will suit the material. While I love Ridley Scott, as the disappointing Prometheus and Alien: Covenant showed, his star is definitely on the wane. 

Gave Blade Runner another watch a couple of days ago before going to see 2049 yesterday.

Still trying to take it all in but first impressions are that it is visually awesome, the big question from Blade Runner is further developed and the landscape is bleaker and more expansive. Gosling does a good job and some great supporting performances especially Ana De Armas.

The biggest criticism of Blade Runner was the slow pace and 2049 is maybe not quite so slow but is a good bit longer so it might feel just as slow to some.

The soundtrack is impressive but I probably preferred the Vangelis score in the original.

Denis Villeneuve has done a great job and is fast becoming one of the top Directors.

Saw it in 3D a couple of hours ago... visually mind blowing. Thoughtful, deep, but the cinematography is just astonishing.

Unfortunately Harrison Ford seems to be playing a character in a different film.

I got over that more or less. I view it as a supplement rather than a sequel to the original.

I’m going again next week. It’s magnificent.

I saw this on Sunday. Yes, visually stunning, good effects, understated performance from Ryan Gosling, but the problem is that it is an overlong bore of a film. I'm a big fan of the original film and was keenly looking forward to the sequel, only to be very disappointed. According to reports it is bombing at the US box office too.

Archived