Old photos of your club

18 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Some good Caley photos there but I’ve always wondered who the f**k thought it was a smashing idea to have a main stand as open as that sitting sitting right beside the Moray Firth.

IIRC the two areas the club seemed to look at for a new ground were the current site and one down at the Bught on the south east side of the city (town really). The area where the ground is now was probably easier to develop I guess but I can't really recall exactly what sealed the deal.

Another potential site was actually on the site of where Matalan/Bannatynes/McDonald's is now. 

I remember it vividly as it is next to Drakies where I lived so was pretty excited about it. 

20 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Some good Caley photos there but I’ve always wondered who the f**k thought it was a smashing idea to have a main stand as open as that sitting sitting right beside the Moray Firth.

I don't think anybody thought it was a smashing idea, more a lack of choice and a bit of Nimbyism.  Mind you, at least it's got its back to the Firth. Although I suspect that has more to do with the adverts being visible from the A9 😉
If you're sitting in the stand you get all the weather from the west in your face. In winter you get the low sun in your eyes too. But I don't buy this stuff about certain stadiums being the "coldest in Scotland".  It's a small country. You can have the coldest experience of your life at any ground in Scotland if you pick your day.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Another potential site was actually on the site of where Matalan/Bannatynes/McDonald's is now. 

I remember it vividly as it is next to Drakies where I lived so was pretty excited about it. 

My memories are a bit hazy but I know it came down to East Longman or Stratton Farm. Had a look at Bannerman's book and originally there were up to 11 locations, whittled down to 4, which included Inshes and West Seafield,  then 2. Inshes was rejected on the grounds of cost of land, plus probable local objections. West Seafield was down to the police thinking there would be safety issues with pedestrian access and cost(?). A bit ironic that, since East Longman causes the major trunk road in the North of Scotland to snarl up on derby days and has fans crossing the road on foot. Stratton was just a terrible venue but was favoured by INE.

• 4 months later...