Old photos of your club

Finally for now - exciting Glasgow Charity Cup action between Queen's Park and Third Lanark at the Exhibition Ground, aka Kelvingrove, aka Gilmorehill, in 1901.

7987019006_2b6c9cca34_o.jpg&key=d507bb278660ed60ce4dc2272636b37f3e4e02fbe9d66f79d5ed2fa72d0f2dbe

TGSA00377.jpg&key=20adf3bbc3031179a575a28845e6df9617000484574debf8a3c1874fee2229e5

This impressive venue - holding 25,000 - staged a number of high profile games in 1901:

Glasgow Charity Cup (May)

SFs - Rangers 0-0 Celtic (replay: Rangers 0-1 Celtic), Third Lanark 1-0 Queen's Park

Final - Third Lanark 0-0 Celtic (replay: Third Lanark 3-0 Celtic)

Scottish Junior Cup (May)

Final - Burnbank Athletic 2-0 Maryhill

Glasgow Exhibition Cup (August-September)

QFs - Third Lanark 3-1 Morton, Rangers 8-1 St Mirren, Celtic 1-0 Hibs, Hearts 2-1 Queen's Park

SFs - Rangers 4-1 Third Lanark, Celtic 2-1 Hearts

Final - Rangers 3-1 Celtic

That's very interesting. I was at Kelvingrove earlier this year and there was an area mentioning the football parks at the Glasgow 1901 Exhibition but that's the first photo I've seen.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Finally for now - exciting Glasgow Charity Cup action between Queen's Park and Third Lanark at the Exhibition Ground, aka Kelvingrove, aka Gilmorehill, in 1901.

7987019006_2b6c9cca34_o.jpg

TGSA00377.jpg

This impressive venue - holding 25,000 - staged a number of high profile games in 1901:

SFs - Rangers 0-0 Celtic (replay: Rangers 0-1 Celtic), Third Lanark 1-0 Queen's Park

QFs - Third Lanark 3-1 Morton, Rangers 8-1 St Mirren, Celtic 1-0 Hibs, Hearts 2-1 Queen's Park

Fantastic post

7 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

No I totally get that. I was the same with the terracing behind the goal at Love St. Actually started off going to games in Carters Corner. Don't know if any away fans will know of or remember this bit of the ground. It was between the terracing/family stand and Main Stand. Great memories running along the bench as a youngster when the game was crap. Every home game there used to be a guy come in dressed in his work gear at about the 60 minute mark without fail. Amazing the tiny details you remember.

I remember sitting in the wee uncovered seating next to the Main Stand at Love Street when visiting with Dunfermline. Is that the same bit? I'm not sure why we were in there but I think we were there two or three times? My dad used to always go into the stand and I'd go in beside him unless I had mates in the terracing and I remember Love Street as one of the grounds he'd often be able to blag a complimentary for.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

7987019006_2b6c9cca34_o.jpg

TGSA00377.jpg

Genuine and possibly stupid question:

Why is the Queen's Park goalkeeper wearing an outfield top?  Was this normal then, or was it a QP thing?  His shorts are different from those of the outfield players.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Genuine and possibly stupid question:

Why is the Queen's Park goalkeeper wearing an outfield top?  Was this normal then, or was it a QP thing?  His shorts are different from those of the outfield players.

Distinctive goalies' tops were a relatively late addition to the rules. Along with only being able to handle the ball inside the 18 yard box. 

Edit. Also note the 6-yard "box" markings...

Edited by The Old Northerner

I'm sure around the turn of the 20th Century this was the norm in football. before goalkeeper jerseys were thought of.

I'm sure I've read about this on Historical Football Kits.

I could always email Dave Moor who runs the website to confirm if you want.

Just now, The Old Northerner said:

Distinctive goalies' tops were a relatively late addition to the rules. Along with only being able to handle the ball inside the 18 yard box. 

Was it not normal practice before the turn of the century, for the goalkeeper to wear different colours though?

Maybe not - I just don't remember seeing the 'keeper dressed the same as outfield players in early pictures, before.

13 minutes ago, The Old Northerner said:

Looks that way, meaning there would have been nothing unusual in the way the Queen's Park goalkeeper was dressed in that picture.

I'd assumed the idea of the goalkeeper wearing something different, went back further.

12 hours ago, Kilbowie's Finest said:

I think that Shotts Bon Accord's pitch Hannah Park is regarded as having the largest playing surface in Scottish football

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1482392083.773734.jpg

Kilbowie Park's pitch dimensions were 110 yards by 68 yards - not sure how that compares with those of other teams.

my father told me that shotts was the biggest playing surface in scotland, and he has played on it and is from shotts so there may be some truth in it !

Edited by whereismillar
can't type

8 hours ago, Jumbo Muir said:

Aye, and the other baldy defending another dangerous Dumbarton cross is Jim Fallon.

Re the Sweeney photo. Goal should obviously not have stood as Alistair MacLeod had perfectly sprung our well drilled offside trap as the pic clearly shows.

The two Jims drink in my local in Paisley.

If you visit the Brief History of Football Strips section on HFK you will find the answer. Note that different competitions introduced distinctive goalkeepers' tops at different points and there are some early team photos in which keepers are wearing different tops but not in the Football League. 

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Articles/History.htm