Trevors v Maureens - The Day Before Christmas

1 minute ago, geo87 said:

Deserved a point from that at least. Our defence is fucking horrific

True, but we've been so unlucky with injuries there, and suspensions too (although admittedly they're not unlucky). There can't have been more than 2 games with the same centre half pairing. Again today McKenzie having to go off injured, so Baird coming in to play along side Webster - when was the last 90 mins they played together?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were really, really poor. Though St.Mirren played some good stuff going forward, in the first half in particular (McAllister was a stand out but faded in the second half). We just didn't get going at all and relied again on The Edge (especially after Durnan went off). Telfer poor, Spittal anonymous and Andreu, despite showing flashes, was quiet. 

Decent crowd for a Christmas Eve fixture, and a good turnout from the St.Mirren fans. If Ross can improve the defence there is not a chance they will be relegated.

We are so desperately crying out for a striker who actually enjoys the physical side of things and can hold the ball up.

Was in the Jerry Kerr close to the goal-line.

St.Mirren were unlucky to go in behind at half-time. Their right-side skinned Dixon on numerous occasions. Was also a terrible throw in from Dixon towards Donaldson who made an absolute hash of things giving Sutton an easy opportunity to score. Fraser' equaliser came within a minute, with Murray getting the eventual winner on the stroke of half time.

Despite being goalless the 2nd half was entertaining all the same, more due to United's inabilty to get a third which gave the Saints enough hope of getting an equaliser.

All in all an enjoyable game. Without knowing who each team were, you'd have been hard pushed to identify who was top and who was bottom of the league.
Not worth £22 though!cb3fdf3f6169b0a97878126c904ea7a1.jpgcd7c8b42552c79cbdc47b9576f629973.jpgc8089a859f789d3f8a497323eb205e3f.jpg

Another poor performance but another 3 points. That's about the last half dozen games where one of our centre backs would be man of the match (not Donaldson today just to clarify). Durnan and the Edge have been superb and key to our impressive run as we are winning games by being difficult to beat as opposed to playing teams off the park. Thought Telfer was poor today and looked a bit unfit, hopefully just a poor game on his part as he has deserved to keep his place in the team but with Murdoch fit again it's good to have options. Today again highlighted the need for a forward who can hold the ball up as when Murray went off we could barely keep possession at all. All and all top of the league for Christmas, happy days.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

First game I've been at in a while.

If the tactics are normally to launch the ball for Murray to hold up I've no idea how we keep winning. 

Donaldson coming on and gifting St Mirren that goal was the best thing that could have happened.

Immediately from kickoff some urgency and passing appeared from nowhere.

I said the same thing at the time.  Until St Mirren scored we looked lethargic.

The Edge was phenomenal again today, what a complete difference he has made to that team.  Having won I can laugh at Donaldson's contribution - what a way to end our run of clean sheets.

Taking off Telfer was a good call but Murdoch should have come on, VdV was hopeless.

Thought St Mirren played well and possibly deserved a point, certainly didn't look like a team rooted at the bottom of the league.

Donaldson's confidence is shot. Still young, felt a bit sorry for him, think he's a better player than he's currently showing. Probably needs a fresh start somewhere else. Would have been better moving Dillon to CB when Durnan went off. Dillon was good at RB though, much better than Toshney.

14 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Donaldson needs shot. Still young, felt a bit sorry for him, thinks he's a better player than he is. Needs a fresh start for some junior team. Would have been better moving a functioning person to CB when Durnan went off. Dillon was good at RB though, much better than Toshney.

FTFY

Playing poorly but still winning. What a difference to last season.  

You can only  build on firm foundations, so take a bow Cammy Bell and The Edge. Rock solid , which I think gives the team a great deal of confidence.  Thank god we scored so soon after the calamity goal. It was like the ghost of Christmas past and turned up to haunt us. 

Happy Christmas everybody! 

Dixon is rank rotten. The amount of times he got nutmegged and allowed crosses in from his side was criminal. Robson should be chapping the gaffers door looking for answers. Coll Donaldsons f**k up has made my xmas though. Thankfully it never cost us but i was howling when it happened. I genuinely dont think ive seen many worse mistakes from a professional footballer

Dixon was poor but he has been out for a little while. As I have said before though, be prepared for more of Dixon. McKinnon clearly favours solidity and experience and although we might see Dixon as a gamble I think he prefers having him over Robson. I might be wrong but Dixon getting straight back into the team today was a pretty strong indication. 

To be fair to Donaldson, after the disaster he did actually end up playing well enough to put in a couple of important blocks and clearances towards the end. Hoping Durnan just has a sore head and will be back next week.

From the BBC report

The Tangerines prevailed despite conceding their first goal in 612 minutes, leaving goalkeeper Bell an agonising four minutes short of beating club legend Hamish McAlpine's record of 615 set in September 1977.

Archived