Trevors v Maureens - The Day Before Christmas

Well I think all we can say is we'll take it.

I had a bad feeling going into today, and Donaldson's assist for St Mirren had me thinking "That's why". Fortunately, we went up a level and got the win, as we have done a few times in this run. We need to be better though.

Top at Christmas though - if you had offered me that in October, I'd have bitten your hand off.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

Dixon was poor but he has been out for a little while. As I have said before though, be prepared for more of Dixon. McKinnon clearly favours solidity and experience and although we might see Dixon as a gamble I think he prefers having him over Robson. I might be wrong but Dixon getting straight back into the team today was a pretty strong indication. 

To be fair to Donaldson, after the disaster he did actually end up playing well enough to put in a couple of important blocks and clearances towards the end. Hoping Durnan just has a sore head and will be back next week.

Since Forfar weren't playing today I thought I'd head along to Tannadice.  Jeez, United were poor today, St Mirren really should have taken all 3 points but for some poor finishing, the one that hit the post should have been buried.  No way should there be the entire league between these two sides.

Looking on as a neutral, Donaldson's gift was hilarious.  That said, I thought he had a great game after that, he never really put a foot wrong and grew in confidence as the game went on and had some really important clearances and blocks near the end.  Many would have went into their shell.

3 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Since Forfar weren't playing today I thought I'd head along to Tannadice.  Jeez, United were poor today, St Mirren really should have taken all 3 points but for some poor finishing, the one that hit the post should have been buried.  No way should there be the entire league between these two sides.

Looking on as a neutral, Donaldson's gift was hilarious.  That said, I thought he had a great game after that, he never really put a foot wrong and grew in confidence as the game went on and had some really important clearances and blocks near the end.  Many would have went into their shell.

That's a nice story but it's absolute nonsense.

Edit: Sorry, that's rather harsh. I've as much sympathy for the player as anyone, and wish him no ill, but watching him today took me back to the defence we had last season - everything last gasp, foot in the mouth, cross your fingers and hope for the best stuff. And that was down to Donaldson. The boy is simply all over the place.

Donaldson was steady after his costly error. Dixon made an elementary mistake, as I recall, by throwing a ball right across his own box in Donaldson's direction prior to the Buddies goal.

St Mirren look like a team which could get out of the situation they've landed in (due to Alex Rae's ineptitude?) and possibly deserved better. At the match I was complaining about the 'hard tackling' of the Saints' players, yet I'd be hoping my side would do the same if they were in a similar situation.

Finally, back to Donaldson: some supporters need to take a look at themselves, slagging a player as he comes on.... the same guys were at Fraser at the start of the game.

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

That's a nice story but it's absolute nonsense.

Edit: Sorry, that's rather harsh. I've as much sympathy for the player as anyone, and wish him no ill, but watching him today took me back to the defence we had last season - everything last gasp, foot in the mouth, cross your fingers and hope for the best stuff. And that was down to Donaldson. The boy is simply all over the place.

Completely harsh.  Never seen him play and after an absolute shocker of a near-first touch he had a very good game.  I've seen established professionals go on to have a nightmare after making a cock-up like that.

I suspect your preconceived feelings towards the young man filled you with dread every time the ball went near him, clouding your judgement on the day.  He really did have a good game today.

Been there with Forfar, only to hear the opposition fans say the equivalent "bomb scare" was our best player on the day.

Donaldson was fine after the goal.  His confidence is shot but he showed potential at times last season, think the fans need to get off his back.

Not at our best today but we've learnt to see these sorts of games out, and I think we have enough of a foundation now that if we just add a striker who can lead the line and make the ball stick, plus ideally a winger with some skill and pace, we'll win games far more comfortably.  All bodes pretty well so long as we have a decent transfer window; on a good run, top having managed to overcome a huge gap between ourselves and Hibs despite our rocky start, and ready to kick on.

Donaldson is an absolute bombscare, genuinely don't understand where people sayin he had a good game.

The amount of times the big black defender covered his arse was unbelievable. He's a cracking player btw, be struggling to keep hold of him if he plays like that every week. Also agree re: flood, far too good for this division!

15 hours ago, geo87 said:

/Donaldson is an absolute bombscare, genuinely don't understand where people sayin he had a good game.

The amount of times the big black defender covered his arse was unbelievable. He's a cracking player btw, be struggling to keep hold of him if he plays like that every week. Also agree re: flood, far too good for this division!

He did have a good game.  Can you imagine making an arse of it it with his first touch of the game and then not letting anything passed after that?  Yes, the other CH did cover him but he did the same too, that's why you have 2 at centre-half.  Couldn't have been easy for both CH's having Dixon and Dillon being dire on either side either.

Flood was rank rotten on Saturday, misplaced pass after misplaced pass.  Broke up a few attacks but offered nothing going forward on the day.

A hugely emotional day for me personally on Saturday, as I lost my old man the previous week, he'd been a season ticket holder at Tannadice for over 50 years. Tears at kickoff and full time, first time I've cried at the football. My last memory of him is going to Kirkcaldy together last weekend for the Raith game.

On to the game, despite being bottom of the league, thought St Mirren gave a very good account of themselves, and on the balance of play probably deserved a draw. Utter calamity from Donaldson at their goal. Thankfully the equaliser was instant. Good finish from Fraser, who then whipped in a great free kick for Murray's winner, took out the entire defence and keeper. Fraser tired really badly second half. Saints were dominant for the last ten minutes. Clarkson is a dirty b*****d, should've seen a second yellow. Paul Dixon likewise on another day would've seen red rather than yellow for his daft reaction.
Jamie Robson should be rightly pissed off at losing his starting position to Dixon. He wasn't great at Kirkcaldy, but nothing to merit getting dropped.

An obvious delight that Hibs only drew sending United clear at the top. Judge me at Christmas McKinnon said. OK top. A fitting end to a personally difficult week.

Donaldson was fine after the goal.  His confidence is shot but he showed potential at times last season, think the fans need to get off his back.
Not at our best today but we've learnt to see these sorts of games out, and I think we have enough of a foundation now that if we just add a striker who can lead the line and make the ball stick, plus ideally a winger with some skill and pace, we'll win games far more comfortably.  All bodes pretty well so long as we have a decent transfer window; on a good run, top having managed to overcome a huge gap between ourselves and Hibs despite our rocky start, and ready to kick on.

Believe it or not, St Mirren actually have that striker you seek. He's on his way to Starks in January going by the rumours though.

23 hours ago, Desert Nomad said:

A hugely emotional day for me personally on Saturday, as I lost my old man the previous week, he'd been a season ticket holder at Tannadice for over 50 years. Tears at kickoff and full time, first time I've cried at the football. My last memory of him is going to Kirkcaldy together last weekend for the Raith game.

On to the game, despite being bottom of the league, thought St Mirren gave a very good account of themselves, and on the balance of play probably deserved a draw. Utter calamity from Donaldson at their goal. Thankfully the equaliser was instant. Good finish from Fraser, who then whipped in a great free kick for Murray's winner, took out the entire defence and keeper. Fraser tired really badly second half. Saints were dominant for the last ten minutes. Clarkson is a dirty b*****d, should've seen a second yellow. Paul Dixon likewise on another day would've seen red rather than yellow for his daft reaction.
Jamie Robson should be rightly pissed off at losing his starting position to Dixon. He wasn't great at Kirkcaldy, but nothing to merit getting dropped.

An obvious delight that Hibs only drew sending United clear at the top. Judge me at Christmas McKinnon said. OK top. A fitting end to a personally difficult week.

Keep your chin up, mate.

Archived