In the main, modern workplaces are far safer and less likely to cause injury, illness and death than they were back in the 1970s.

In 1974 there were 651 fatal injuries in work, a rate of 2.9 deaths per 100,000 workers.  In 2015/16 the figure was 100 fatal injuries in total, 0.56 per 100,000.  There were also lower work related illnesses, especially musculo-skeletal disorders.

There are also thousands of deaths a year from people who were exposed to asbestos or other workplace hazards in the past.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the main, modern workplaces are far safer and less likely to cause injury, illness and death than they were back in the 1970s.
In 1974 there were 651 fatal injuries in work, a rate of 2.9 deaths per 100,000 workers.  In 2015/16 the figure was 100 fatal injuries in total, 0.56 per 100,000.  There were also lower work related illnesses, especially musculo-skeletal disorders.
There are also thousands of deaths a year from people who were exposed to asbestos or other workplace hazards in the past.

Modern workplaces have moved on from physical injury to mental health issues.

Also, it's probably easier to keep the physical injury stats down when you kill off heavy manufacturing and mining.

6 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Modern workplaces have moved on from physical injury to mental health issues.

Also, it's probably easier to keep the physical injury stats down when you kill off heavy manufacturing and mining.

Well there's 2 fatalities for a start...

19 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

A beautiful and very old collie cross who thinks if I eat something that I will want to share it

I've a Cavalier King Charles with a similar mind set.

The reason workplaces are safer is because it costs a great deal of money in compensation to the company if some poor schlub dies. The companies couldn't care less about anyone dying on moral grounds. 

While I do agree it's far safer. It's not some sort of "let's look after our staff".

It's more let's look after ourselves and make sure we don't get a lawsuit.

1 minute ago, Father Ted said:

While I do agree it's far safer. It's not some sort of "let's look after our staff".

It's more let's look after ourselves and make sure we don't get a lawsuit.

See my above post. 

Modern health & safety ( or at least, a lot of it) was developed by chemical giant DuPont, interestingly, they used to suffer huge financial losses due to accidents / explosions at their plants and decided at one particular plant to house all the workers families just outside the boundaries of said plant / factory.
Their thinking was that the workers would be more careful if their immediate family were at risk of injury or death if they made a mistake- this made absolutely no difference to the accident rate whatsoever, as the workers were still driven to tight deadlines and severe disciplinary for not keeping up productivity.
Some smart guy then suggested moving the senior managements families to the same location- the result being, a drastic drop in workplace accidents, reduced costs in replacing destroyed plant & increased profitability- I've actually bored myself, typing this. Sorry

The reason workplaces are safer is because it costs a great deal of money in compensation to the company if some poor schlub dies. The companies couldn't care less about anyone dying on moral grounds. 

The Construction Design Management Regs have helped for the Construction sector.

I wasn't suggesting that companies are safer because they are all lovely people who want to look after their staff, just that workplaces are generally safer.  There's obviously a lot of reasons for that.

48 minutes ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Modern health & safety ( or at least, a lot of it) was developed by chemical giant DuPont, interestingly, they used to suffer huge financial losses due to accidents / explosions at their plants and decided at one particular plant to house all the workers families just outside the boundaries of said plant / factory.
Their thinking was that the workers would be more careful if their immediate family were at risk of injury or death if they made a mistake- this made absolutely no difference to the accident rate whatsoever, as the workers were still driven to tight deadlines and severe disciplinary for not keeping up productivity.
Some smart guy then suggested moving the senior managements families to the same location- the result being, a drastic drop in workplace accidents, reduced costs in replacing destroyed plant & increased profitability- I've actually bored myself, typing this. Sorry

Perhaps the earliest written laws that survive today at the Code of Hammuarbi, laws imposed by the ancient Babylonian King Hammurabi.

One of Hammurabi's laws covered building regulations

229 If a builder build a house for some one, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built fall in and kill its owner, then that builder shall be put to death.

230. If it kill the son of the owner the son of that builder shall be put to death.

231. If it kill a slave of the owner, then he shall pay slave for slave to the owner of the house.

232. If it ruin goods, he shall make compensation for all that has been ruined, and inasmuch as he did not construct properly this house which he built and it fell, he shall re-erect the house from his own means.

Seems fair and could be applied to industrial accidents.

I wasn't suggesting that companies are safer because they are all lovely people who want to look after their staff, just that workplaces are generally safer.  There's obviously a lot of reasons for that.
Seems fair and could be applied to industrial accidents.

Yeah I know what you were suggesting, and frankly, I've no idea why I posted that!

After it was exposed that workers were sleeping outside Amazon in freezing conditions in tents rather than commute the Scottish government spoke to them today. 

Amazon will 'seriously consider' paying £8 an hour!

What a commitment to the workers. 

Yes, Smithers we will "seriously hahahaha seriously teehee, consider it" 

"stop it sir, my sides are hurting"

"no time for that nonsense now Smithers, throw another corpse on the furnace. I don't want to wear a jumper for heavens sake"

After it was exposed that workers were sleeping outside Amazon in freezing conditions in tents rather than commute the Scottish government spoke to them today. 
Amazon will 'seriously consider' paying £8 an hour!
What a commitment to the workers. 
Yes, Smithers we will "seriously hahahaha seriously teehee, consider it" 
"stop it sir, my sides are hurting"
"no time for that nonsense now Smithers, throw another corpse on the furnace. I don't want to wear a jumper for heavens sake"

[emoji1]

The Government set the minimum wage. Why would a company pay more than that for what is about the most minimum wage type job imaginable?

Yes they also allowed amazon and gave them money to help them set up. Suddenly everyone is pretending it's a shock that it's a sweatshop that treats people like dirt.

2 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

The Government set the minimum wage. Why would a company pay more than that for what is about the most minimum wage type job imaginable?

True, they only made $250 million profit in the last quarter.

I'm sure they can't afford to pay the living wage.

Archived