Old Firm Colts in L2

Listened to the arguments for the Colts on the Sportsound podcast, and three aspects struck me.

Collins stated as fact the success of colt sides in various European leagues, but there was little in the way of rebuttal. I'd have asked which of these leagues had the top sides play each other four times a season, the populations of the nations used as examples, and also pointed out the many nations which are successful in reaching tournament final stages in spite of not having colts in their league systems: England is an example. Also, why didn't anyone ask Collins which Colt sides are bringing success to their nations by playing in the fourth tier?

Secondly, we all get older, including young footballers: the ceiling for Colts isn't League Two, it may be League One or the Championship. It may even be the top league if the Twins/OF fck off to England or Europe to play. The players gaining promotion would be unlikely to further develop in higher league with their colts, as they've gone overage (I see the OF solution for this: change the age stipulations). 

But  the one which struck me most: Collins stated these players would be there to individually learn from playing against older guys, and their technique was the  key detail, results weren't important. Where's the fairness in using a league system, which can lead to the rewards of promotion or calamity of relegation for the majority of clubs, in order that the two biggest and most influential sides can test, trial and exercise players without being focussed on the competition? 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The OF are just aware they're losing their youth players to England as there's a better coaching set up and pathway down there. Billy Gilmour just the highest profile example of what's become a recurring theme.

Billy Gilmour would definitely have stayed if he had a chance of glory at winning league 2.

Somebody mentioned Andy Robertson earlier as a reason Celtic are wanting this. Anyone know the youth left back(s) that the Celtic staff preferred over him at the time? Since they would have likely been the ones playing League One/Two football while Robertson was would on the bench some depth to the squad.

A few years ago we played Dundee colts at Den's and I said hell no I'm not going to watch a reserve game. I have no interest watching colt teams in the senior divisions of Scottish football.

For me Colts are just an attempt to monopolise transfer fees. Oh, we've got a promising youth player look at him playing in our B team.

Can't break into the first team but we're such a #bigclub. Oh you would like him on loan? Here's the loan fee.

It's turning development into a closed shop so the big two or the big 5 in the end can make more money from their academies. It's not and never will be about the national team.

3 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

I totally support colt teams playing in League Two. 

It is not showing disrespect to the lower leagues to want the Old Firm to have colt teams in League Twp. 

Most Scottish League Two sides are happy to play the colt teams of foreign sides in testimonials, friendlies. Most League Two sides are happy to even play the second string sides of Celtic and Rangers in friendlies or in the cup. 

IT IS NOT SHOWING A LACK OF RESPECT TO ;LEAGUE TWO SIDES FOR THEM TO PLAY THE RANGERS OF CELTIC COLT SIDES. IT IS A MASSIVE SIGN OF RESPECT. 

It is a compliment. It shows the clubs that the bigger clubs respect them enough for them to be the perfect breeding grounds for developing young players. 

They do this in Croatia, Germany, Spain, France,. Belgium, Portugal, the Netherlands. Scotland even had a Division C in the olden day where proper sides played b sides. 

Croatia develop great players because of this system. 

Why is it suddenly showing a lack of respect for colt sides to play League Two sides? It is a compliment. It will increase interest in the lower leagues. 

We should do everything we can to ensure young players at all clubs develop while taking into account that most sides want experienced players in their first team. This will be the perfect way to develop young Scottish players. 

League Two sides are happy to loan Old Firm young players but suddenly it is the greatest insults in history to play a team of Old Firm youth players. HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? 

I do not see how a part time team finishing 2 places higher in the League Two is more important an issue than Scotland developing great international players? 

I love all Scottish soccer sides, including the part time sides. I want a strong League Two, with strong sides, but the national team is the priority for me. We should do everything we can to create a system which encourages big clubs to develop great players. 

Before someone says why don't Celtic and Rangers just stick all their youth players in their first team. Well nobody does that if they want their club to do well. All clubs pack their squads with experienced often non-Scottish players,. It is not realistic to expect any full time team to just send out an entire team of youth players,. 

We need a system where all the top sides can continue to have experienced often foreign players in their first team but can still develop young Scottish players. 

What gets on my nerves is people who say it is an insult to play b sides yet are happy to have b side players loaned to them. 

What gets on my nerves is people who would rather their part time side finishes two places higher in the league than the Scottish team develop great players. 

What really gets on my nerves is people who want to chuck out all the part time team from the SPFL, then the next next minute claim it is an insult for those teams to play against B sides, 

I love all SPFL sides, I want them all to exist, and perform to their max ability. But the national team is the priority, . 

^^^^^^^John Collins 

Really think the OF  shoot themselves in the foot when they don't push through an 18/19 year old Scottish lad - but are quite happy to spend £thousands/millions on Um Bongo from some unknown country. Reserves, Project Brave, Developments, etc etc  The big clubs get the money, make your scouting system work AND give kids a chance.

I totally support colt teams playing in League Two. 
It is not showing disrespect to the lower leagues to want the Old Firm to have colt teams in League Twp. 
Most Scottish League Two sides are happy to play the colt teams of foreign sides in testimonials, friendlies. Most League Two sides are happy to even play the second string sides of Celtic and Rangers in friendlies or in the cup. 
IT IS NOT SHOWING A LACK OF RESPECT TO ;LEAGUE TWO SIDES FOR THEM TO PLAY THE RANGERS OF CELTIC COLT SIDES. IT IS A MASSIVE SIGN OF RESPECT. 
It is a compliment. It shows the clubs that the bigger clubs respect them enough for them to be the perfect breeding grounds for developing young players. 
They do this in Croatia, Germany, Spain, France,. Belgium, Portugal, the Netherlands. Scotland even had a Division C in the olden day where proper sides played b sides. 
Croatia develop great players because of this system. 
Why is it suddenly showing a lack of respect for colt sides to play League Two sides? It is a compliment. It will increase interest in the lower leagues. 
We should do everything we can to ensure young players at all clubs develop while taking into account that most sides want experienced players in their first team. This will be the perfect way to develop young Scottish players. 
League Two sides are happy to loan Old Firm young players but suddenly it is the greatest insults in history to play a team of Old Firm youth players. HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? 
I do not see how a part time team finishing 2 places higher in the League Two is more important an issue than Scotland developing great international players? 
I love all Scottish soccer sides, including the part time sides. I want a strong League Two, with strong sides, but the national team is the priority for me. We should do everything we can to create a system which encourages big clubs to develop great players. 
Before someone says why don't Celtic and Rangers just stick all their youth players in their first team. Well nobody does that if they want their club to do well. All clubs pack their squads with experienced often non-Scottish players,. It is not realistic to expect any full time team to just send out an entire team of youth players,. 
We need a system where all the top sides can continue to have experienced often foreign players in their first team but can still develop young Scottish players. 
What gets on my nerves is people who say it is an insult to play b sides yet are happy to have b side players loaned to them. 
What gets on my nerves is people who would rather their part time side finishes two places higher in the league than the Scottish team develop great players. 
What really gets on my nerves is people who want to chuck out all the part time team from the SPFL, then the next next minute claim it is an insult for those teams to play against B sides, 

I love all SPFL sides, I want them all to exist, and perform to their max ability. But the national team is the priority, . 
.20210303_144828.jpeg

53 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Somebody mentioned Andy Robertson earlier as a reason Celtic are wanting this. Anyone know the youth left back(s) that the Celtic staff preferred over him at the time? Since they would have likely been the ones playing League One/Two football while Robertson was would on the bench some depth to the squad.

Joe Chalmers.

13 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

They were pushing it again on Sportsound tonight and surprisingly Peter Grant was the voice of reason

Not so surprising given he's the Alloa manager.

I look forward to the day Scotland lift the World Cup thanks to OF players youthful experience of being kicked up and down the Cliftonhill pitch by Albion Rovers' Wullie Mcbasturd.

Aye. Right.

And I trust we fans will be emulating what our English counterparts do and boycott any fixture involving Colts teams if this pish gets the go ahead 

Edited by tamthebam