Old Firm Colts in L2

Interesting to see the 'strategic partnership' stuff and the increase in U21 loans between clubs.

Between this and Project Brave, I hope nobody was planning to make money from homegrown youth players in the future.

13 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

That BBC article states that B teams provide a pathway to international football.

FFS 

It could pointed out that Sctland's failure to qualify for tournaments coincided with the creation of the SPL in 1998 and the retention of any wealth in the Scottish game by the 'big clubs'.

Those countries being cited as internationally successful by having B teams in their leagues have a top league of 18 or 20 teams. Perhaps that should be a route for Scotland to follow first to be successful internationally. The cheeks are looking at the wrong part of the template for Scotland to be successful.

Edited by AlbionMan

2 minutes ago, true fan said:

what do hibs, hearts, aberdeen etc think? don't they want to have colts teams? do they want to sit back and let old firm prosper; whole of scottish football to revolve round them? what's the basis for this - is it some sort of divine right?

The absence of a team called Rangers in the top flight proved that there will always be an Aberdeen who are happy just to pick up the crumbs.

The more I read about the proposal, the less convinced I am of its merits.

Firmly in the camp that more has to be done to reduce the massive inequality between the Old Firm and the other forty teams. That to me is simply a no-brainer - it results in a better standard of league competition and facilities, which recruits better players, which in turn helps to develop the young players. In my opinion, this would be far more beneficial.

Once you do this, you can start to look at additional helpful measures, such as requiring teams to give X number of minutes to Academy graduates under the age of 21.

With regards to the strategic partnerships, these things are effectively happening anyway. Rangers have something like four loan players at Queen of the South.

Above all though, it's clear that the fans in L1 and L2 don't want it. Therefore, it shouldn't happen. Scottish football fans need to learn to stick together and put our own interests first. There isn't much solidarity between the supporters of each club.

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

The more I read about the proposal, the less convinced I am of its merits.

Firmly in the camp that more has to be done to reduce the massive inequality between the Old Firm and the other forty teams. That to me is simply a no-brainer - it results in a better standard of league competition and facilities, which recruits better players, which in turn helps to develop the young players. In my opinion, this would be far more beneficial.

Once you do this, you can start to look at additional helpful measures, such as requiring teams to give X number of minutes to Academy graduates under the age of 21.

With regards to the strategic partnerships, these things are effectively happening anyway. Rangers have something like four loan players at Queen of the South.

Above all though, it's clear that the fans in L1 and L2 don't want it. Therefore, it shouldn't happen. Scottish football fans need to learn to stick together and put our own interests first. There isn't much solidarity between the supporters of each club.

This is by no means a dig at you, but Celtgers has no interest whatsoever in addressing inequality, only making it worse for their own benefit. That's business. Aberdeen and Hearts would do the same (for example).

You get the impression that, if you gave Scottish football's authorities a single wish, it would be that they weren't beholden to the money of the fans and could just lock the gates. Their goals for the game seem to be entirely at odds to the people who pay them to administrate it.

1 minute ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Wonder how long the enthusiasm for this will last if Celtic or Rangers* colts get relegated to the Lowland or even further?  Or will it be argued that they should be the only clubs spared relegation?

The colts struggling will be used as the excuse to include more and more "experienced" players to "help them learn".

If it's allowed, they'll eventually take up permanent residency in the Championship, with a majority of the team made up from out-of-favour first team players and foreign youths, and the odd young Scot thrown in.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

This is by no means a dig at you, but Celtgers has no interest whatsoever in addressing inequality, only making it worse for their own benefit. That's business. Aberdeen and Hearts would do the same (for example).

You get the impression that, if you gave Scottish football's authorities a single wish, it would be that they weren't beholden to the money of the fans and could just lock the gates. Their goals for the game seem to be entirely at odds to the people who pay them to administrate it.

It appears none of the other clubs have any interest in addressing inequality either, because AFAIK the number of resolutions tabled at SPFL/SFA meetings addressing this are very small/non-existent.

Fully agree that the leadership at the SPFL and SFA needs replaced. It has done for a long time. Again, there is no interest from any of the 42 clubs in effecting this, barring Rangers last year.

So the L2 teams would all lose the proceeds from 3 home games. And would probably lose some of the proceeds from another 2, as people wouldn't turn up to watch colts games. For 20k a year. BARGAIN. Oh and on the off chance that the colts are any good, they are less likely to get promoted.

If the colts were shit, as is likely, how long before they become under 23, or get to have 3 "experienced" players to "help them along"?

I would urge everyone to email their club to make their feelings on this shite known. Indeed I would urge folk to outright threaten their clubs with not giving them another penny again if they vote for this garbage.

13 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Wonder how long the enthusiasm for this will last if Celtic or Rangers* colts get relegated to the Lowland or even further?  Or will it be argued that they should be the only clubs spared relegation?

They wouldn't be allowed lower than League Two, I'm absolutely certain of that.

Within a year their colt sides would be filled with foreign youths, within two there would be overage players, within 4 it would a reserve side.

Celtic were spooked by Andy Robertson leaving, playing League Two, then becoming a major player. This proposal is to minimise the risk of that repeating. Rangers are just joining Celtic, as, as always, the goals of these two sides are 100% aligned.

Keeping the duopoly is vital to both clubs.

7 minutes ago, G51 said:

It appears none of the other clubs have any interest in addressing inequality either, because AFAIK the number of resolutions tabled at SPFL/SFA meetings addressing this are very small/non-existent.

What do you expect them to do?

Prize money can't be changed without 11 top flight clubs agreeing.

Celtic/Rangers will never disagree with each other over the distribution of money, so nothing will ever get past them.

Clubs tried to change this in 2012, to then allow fairer changes, and Aberdeen snaked the entire country by siding with Celtic.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

Fully agree that the leadership at the SPFL and SFA needs replaced. It has done for a long time. Again, there is no interest from any of the 42 clubs in effecting this, barring Rangers last year.

it was all just a show for the fans. They don’t really have any ambitions for change.

Have they followed up on any of their original concerns. Will they follow up on any of their concerns? Not while they are sitting on top and winning trophies/getting access to cl money...