Old Firm Colts in L2

2 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

So out of interest, what’s your opinion on the whole Colts in the senior set up?

To be honest I’m not entirely sure, it’s obvious why Rangers and Celtic are doing it, and it would probably be a far more convincing argument if other teams showed an interest. Overall, I would need to see evidence of it benefiting the lower leagues before I would get on board.

To be honest I’m not entirely sure, it’s obvious why Rangers and Celtic are doing it, and it would probably be a far more convincing argument if other teams showed an interest. Overall, I would need to see evidence of it benefiting the lower leagues before I would get on board.

Fair enough, I was just curious on your opinion as you were obviously looking for reasons why people are against it. I agree with you that Rangers and Celtic fronting any idea will be met with hostility from many fans of other clubs. As I said before I’m totally against it for the reasons I’ve listed. I’ve no issue if someone is for it as it’s not uncommon in other leagues but I’d definitely say if it ever happened any Colt or B team should have to start at the bottom of the pyramid and work their way up.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Maybe we could use a single post that everyone can link to: here's why this is a terrible idea, the proposal is very much not what it's purported to be anyway, and the people behind it do not have the general health of Scottish football at heart. The general noises in support have amounted to, "well, it's better than doing nothing," and "GIRUY, it's happening whether you like it or not because WATP," which is thankfully demonstrably not true.

Someone else can fill in the blanks, the fact that the press keep running propaganda for the people proposing it has just sickened me with the whole thing.

Other points against: competitive league structure with promotion/ relegation, cup ties  ( Hearts Colts drawn at home v Hearts anyone ? ), Precise definition of 'Colts'. Integrity of squad lists  and team selection  ie following exactly the same rules and regulations as all other teams.

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That doesn't explain the practicality of putting prominent second teams in the professional structure.

For instance, in Croatia football outside the top division is virtually amateur and has very little in terms of attendance.

Looked it up: most recent crowd figures I could find had:

GNK Dinamo Zagreb-2    260    
NK Osijek-2    213    
HNK Hajduk Split-2    185

in the FavBet Druga, the second tier. All these attendances were in the bottom five of overall average crowds in that league.

3 hours ago, Big Dougie said:

The bit underlined, why do you think they are attempting to enter the league system, in this case at level 4.

13 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Looked it up: most recent crowd figures I could find had:

GNK Dinamo Zagreb-2    260    
NK Osijek-2    213    
HNK Hajduk Split-2    185

in the FavBet Druga, the second tier. All these attendances were in the bottom five of overall average crowds in that league.

The bit underlined, why do you think they are attempting to enter the league system, in this case at level 4.

Because they have nowhere else for their players to play, and because they probably think that anything below tier 4 is not a suitable standard.

8 minutes ago, Big Dougie said:

Because they have nowhere else for their players to play, and because they probably think that anything below tier 4 is not a suitable standard.

Really? I disagree. They have, in normal circumstances, the reserve leagues, and they could do the same as other clubs, put players out on loan.

The actual reason they want to put second string sides into the league system is to retain a presence in Scottish football should they ever get the opportunity to enter into another league system.

16 minutes ago, Big Dougie said:

What, like the Reserve League they pulled out of? Or perhaps they could loan their youth players out if they want to give them game time.

Edited by Cyclizine

52 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

What, like the Reserve League they pulled out of? Or perhaps they could loan their youth players out if they want to give them game time.

No arguments from me. I was asked why I thought they were doing what they are doing, and that seems the most logical answer.

58 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Really? I disagree. They have, in normal circumstances, the reserve leagues, and they could do the same as other clubs, put players out on loan.

The actual reason they want to put second string sides into the league system is to retain a presence in Scottish football should they ever get the opportunity to enter into another league system.

Entirely your prerogative, it is a forum after all.

Or just not sign so many.
Quite why the rest of us should accept an arse cheek plan to ensure to do not have to operate within the same limitations of other clubs is still way, way beyond my brain.

Its honestly staggering that this hasnt been killed yet. I know it's the cheeks plus complicit media that keeps on bringing it back but surely, surely theres a way for the clubs to decisively kill the idea.

Pointing towards Spain is all well and good but the general feeling is that fans of Stirling, Airdrie, East Fife etc. aren't going to take solace in Scotland maybe being a bit better at international football if their leagues are diluted to squeeze in a load of Rangers, Celtic or Aberdeen U21s resulting in essentially meaningless games several times a season.

If teams in the top tier want their youngsters to develop then play them or let them go out on loan without any of the daft fees and clauses that are sometimes attached. It's not up to League 1 and League 2 teams to give these youngsters first team action if their own clubs won't do it.

8 minutes ago, RiG said:

Pointing towards Spain is all well and good but the general feeling is that fans of Stirling, Airdrie, East Fife etc. aren't going to take solace in Scotland maybe being a bit better at international football if their leagues are diluted to squeeze in a load of Rangers, Celtic or Aberdeen U21s resulting in essentially meaningless games several times a season.

If teams in the top tier want their youngsters to develop then play them or let them go out on loan without any of the daft fees and clauses that are sometimes attached. It's not up to League 1 and League 2 teams to give these youngsters first team action if their own clubs won't do it.

I never know why Celtic and Rangers are so hard for colt teams.  2,maybe 3 at a push ever get to make a first team appearance before they're released and sign for a League 1 or 2 club anyway.  

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I never know why Celtic and Rangers are so hard for colt teams.  2,maybe 3 at a push ever get to make a first team appearance before they're released and sign for a League 1 or 2 club anyway.  

That's the premise of all youth football. More than 90% of squads are makeweights to surround the real prospects and give them a structure to play in. The idea might improve that percentage ie those that will make Rangers or Celtic  first teams, but that would be a negative for other clubs as fewer makeweights will find their way to other clubs.