Jump to content
AllyMonc

Old Firm Colts in L2

Recommended Posts

Five or six Lowland, zero or one Highland might persuade me.

Okay, I'll bite. Did you get dumped by a Highland lassie or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

I think its a great idea much needed funds for L2 teams and will open up the pyramid system for ambitious LL & HL teams, the current format is heavily in favour of L2 teams happy to cling on to their league status, which for me needs to change.

I follow the HL but ultimately it will be LL and some current WOSL teams who will come to the fore if this proposal gets the go-ahead in the long term

We can open up the league system without ruining the competition. Why do you have any desire to watch your HL team play Rangers Colts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:


Okay, I'll bite. Did you get dumped by a Highland lassie or something?

Population and numbers of teams in feeder structure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Population and numbers of teams in feeder structure. 

Population is always a bit of a false argument when looking at the non-league, since the national leagues already have most of the major population centres covered.

If you looked at the SPFL Playoff boundary, then population wise it favours the Lowland area about 4-1. When you look at the non-league first teams (pyramid leagues, NCL, and Juniors) its only a 2-1 advantage to the Lowland.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Population and numbers of teams in feeder structure. 
The way I see it the most important thing is the relative strength of the top teams in both leagues. Whether either area has 50 or 500 clubs is pretty irrelevant when you're talking about adding one or two of them to the national set up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Samsonite said:

I think its a great idea much needed funds for L2 teams and will open up the pyramid system for ambitious LL & HL teams, the current format is heavily in favour of L2 teams happy to cling on to their league status, which for me needs to change.

I follow the HL but ultimately it will be LL and some current WOSL teams who will come to the fore if this proposal gets the go-ahead in the long term

 

I always enjoy reading about these ambitious clubs, regardless of which division they're in.  There's been a number of 'ambitious' clubs in the leagues to date.  Below are a list of some which you may have heard of.

 

Glasgow Rangers (pre 2012)

Heart of Midlothian

Livingston FC x 2

Dundee FC x 2

Gretna (pre 2008)

Airdrieonionas FC (was it the SPL that fucked them with the 10k seating pish?)

Kelty (work in progress)

Queens Park (work in progress)

 

I'm sure there's others that can be named but they all pretty much have the same levels of 'ambition' or financial mismanagement as most others call it.  Chasing the dream with a rich backer will give a degree of short term success, yes success will bring fans in / back to the club they support / supported, but if it can't be sustained then what happens, the ambition runs out and you join the rest of the 'also rans'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, greendot said:

 

Airdrieonians FC (was it the SPL that fucked them with the 10k seating pish?)

SPL gets the blame, but the 10,000 seat rule came about following the Taylor Report's findings. There was a grace period to allow clubs to get up to standard. The first season it was a fixed requirement was the last season of the SFL Premier Division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

SPL gets the blame, but the 10,000 seat rule came about following the Taylor Report's findings. There was a grace period to allow clubs to get up to standard. The first season it was a fixed requirement was the last season of the SFL Premier Division.

Are you sure that is correct? I've read it suggested that Taylor Report applied only to the English Leagues, the SPL adopted a 10,000 seater rule for no valid reason other than false ambition. Certainly, the 1989 Football Spectators Act was not entered into Scottish Law.

My recall is that the Scottish football authorities felt they had to follow their English counterparts, but the 10,000 seater rule was one they drew out of thin air to apply to Scottish clubs, some of which are still suffering the consequences.

 

Sorry to follow off topic, as for the Colt sides, I too am finished with Scottish football should it ever be accepted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dundee Hibernian said:

Are you sure that is correct? I've read it suggested that Taylor Report applied only to the English Leagues, the SPL adopted a 10,000 seater rule for no valid reason other than false ambition. Certainly, the 1989 Football Spectators Act was not entered into Scottish Law.

My recall is that the Scottish football authorities felt they had to follow their English counterparts, but the 10,000 seater rule was one they drew out of thin air to apply to Scottish clubs, some of which are still suffering the consequences.

 

Sorry to follow off topic, as for the Colt sides, I too am finished with Scottish football should it ever be accepted.

It wasn't the Taylor Report itself, but following the findings Scotland had to be seen as doing something similar. It was more an agreement between the SFA and the Government (Westminster) at the time. Which is why it was so easily changed once they decided to do so, as it wasn't an actual law but something self imposed.

Certainly predates the SPL at any rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, greendot said:

 

Queens Park (work in progress)

 

I'm sure there's others that can be named but they all pretty much have the same levels of 'ambition' or financial mismanagement as most others call it.  

OK, I'll bite. 

Explain the financial mismanagement currently in progress at Queen's Park. Before you do, please bear in mind that as a member of the club ( ie one of its owners) I actually know how the club's operations - on and off the pitch- are run and funded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mick1867 said:

OK, I'll bite. 

Explain the financial mismanagement currently in progress at Queen's Park. Before you do, please bear in mind that as a member of the club ( ie one of its owners) I actually know how the club's operations - on and off the pitch- are run and funded.

I wasn't looking for bites.  As you've mentioned in the Queens topic agreeing with another member that its some year to become 'moneybags fc' Its no secret that the steps Queens have taken to step up to the professional outfit that they are and presumably significant investment which has assisted that.  The playing squad which i reckon has at least half of its players from the Championship level will be on wages far exceeding League 2 salaries for a lot of players.  How far in advance are Queens Park looking?  5 yrs, 10 yrs, and what are you trying to achieve?  Average attendances at matches (Covid excepting) are on a par with the majority in this league and the league above so the sustainability aspect isn't something which can be maintained over a long period.  It'll plateau eventually (maybe its already at its level considering the competition for fans amongst other glasgow based teams).  The last thing Queens want is a Gretna situation where there's a short term injection of cash, good times roll, then something happens, the funding isn't there and you're left with crippling debts (extreme i know) and I'm sure as a borad you wouldn't allow that to happen.

 

Football as a whole isn't sustainable though and the only thing that appears to show 'ambition' as is mentioned so often here is throwing money at the problem.  Fair play to the people who have that sort of money to band about on a football team, but to call it ambition is misguided to say the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mick1867 said:

OK, I'll bite. 

Explain the financial mismanagement currently in progress at Queen's Park. Before you do, please bear in mind that as a member of the club ( ie one of its owners) I actually know how the club's operations - on and off the pitch- are run and funded.

Ok, how is it done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the phrase “work I progress” suggests that queens park’s fortunes haven’t been on a different footing for long and where you end up is uncertain. world is waiting with bated breath to find out whether you will have to accept regular top 6 premier league finishes or can you look at champions league semi finals? I don’t think you will be able to win the champions league

mismanagement seems more likely to refer to Gretna - don’t you think? There is a little clue here - they imploded into oblivion. might also refer to rangers and livingston

Financial  mastermind and highly sensitive soul that you are - calm down dear !

Edited by true fan
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Ok, how is it done?

Win ten Scottish Cups, establish the game in your country, building a feckin massive stadium, and have a local rich guy take a liking to your club. It's that easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Win ten Scottish Cups, establish the game in your country, building a feckin massive stadium, and have a local rich guy take a liking to your club. It's that easy.

It's taken him a while. Hasn't he liked other clubs before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's taken him a while. Hasn't he liked other clubs before?

Better late than never. His other dalliances were only that. This is troo love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Better late than never. His other dalliances were only that. This is troo love.

You're stirring Livingston's porridge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Population is always a bit of a false argument when looking at the non-league, since the national leagues already have most of the major population centres covered.

If you looked at the SPFL Playoff boundary, then population wise it favours the Lowland area about 4-1. When you look at the non-league first teams (pyramid leagues, NCL, and Juniors) its only a 2-1 advantage to the Lowland.

147 teams in the Lowland League and its feeders vs 17 in the Highland. 12 of 42 SPFL are in the Highland catchment area in the event of relegation.  So the north already over-represented in the SPFL, whether you judge on population or on numbers of professional and semi-professional clubs.  
 

League  four would be a decent league with the likes of East Kilbride, Kelty, Bonnyrigg, Bo’ness and Spartans as members. And there are several ambitious clubs that will potentially match these in quality when promotions and relegations between the Lowland and its three feeders settle in.  IF a feeder structure is established in the Highlands which additional teams might challenge for the league?  Banks? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

147 teams in the Lowland League and its feeders vs 17 in the Highland. 12 of 42 SPFL are in the Highland catchment area in the event of relegation.  So the north already over-represented in the SPFL, whether you judge on population or on numbers of professional and semi-professional clubs.  
 

League  four would be a decent league with the likes of East Kilbride, Kelty, Bonnyrigg, Bo’ness and Spartans as members. And there are several ambitious clubs that will potentially match these in quality when promotions and relegations between the Lowland and its three feeders settle in.  IF a feeder structure is established in the Highlands which additional teams might challenge for the league?  Banks? 

League 4 isn’t happening.  The clubs you mentioned might be ambitious,  but they aren’t interested in playing national league at their current level with little prize money.  What they are interested in is entering the current structure and the reward that brings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

147 teams in the Lowland League and its feeders vs 17 in the Highland. 12 of 42 SPFL are in the Highland catchment area in the event of relegation.  So the north already over-represented in the SPFL, whether you judge on population or on numbers of professional and semi-professional clubs.  
 

League  four would be a decent league with the likes of East Kilbride, Kelty, Bonnyrigg, Bo’ness and Spartans as members. And there are several ambitious clubs that will potentially match these in quality when promotions and relegations between the Lowland and its three feeders settle in.  IF a feeder structure is established in the Highlands which additional teams might challenge for the league?  Banks? 

What a shame they have to actually play football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...