Old Firm Colts in L2

1 hour ago, Brazilianlex said:

Mark Wotte wanted clubs academies scrapped and replaced by regional academies but the bigot brothers and others drove him out as it threatened their monopoly and funding. 
that’s why he was replaced by that useless c**t Malky Mackay who is a yes man for Celtic and Rangers.

He was replaced by Brian McClair, who was then later replaced by Mackay. And Wotte was a complete fantasist and bullshitter.

On 07/04/2020 at 08:42, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Pretty sure the WoSFL has already said they wont be accepting reserve teams

Well if it's good enough for the WoSFL, it's good enough for the SPFL. No Colts.

1 hour ago, McGarci said:

In spain every first team have his colt team, competing in structure league (even the first team is in the 3 mains division is compulsory)

points for: - youth players compete in real football, playing for something (promotion and drops), they improve mucho more than playing youth leagues like friendlies
- youth team can plays like first team, preparing youth players for first team (and maybe playing with 20 years although they are worse than others with 22 who now are better back wont develop to first team)

points against, - colts teams dwell places for other first team from smaller cities/towns
- some teams from la liga, sign players from other countries for millions of € and play in the colt team, adulteration the competition), for instance rodrygo or vinicius for real madrid "B", who are more expensive than the budget of the rest of the teams together
- others la liga teams, sign veteran players for the youth team (who will never play for the first team), the only porpuse is try to promote/save the colt team. a youth team should play only with players under 21/22 IMO

For that reason alone , the colt theory should be booted into touch. 

I remember my dad telling me about the old "c" league in Scotland when Brechin were up challenging to be promoted  and had a game with Celtic B team  near the end of the season. Celtic fielded quite a few first team players that day and beat Brechin quite convincingly . This knocked the momentum and we ended up losing out marginally on promotion. 

This colt idea is not a new thing by any means .  Just another regurgitated plan by cockwomble and co  ( like the league cup set  up ) under their premise of a bright new concept.  

3 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

For that reason alone , the colt theory should be booted into touch. 

I remember my dad telling me about the old "c" league in Scotland when Brechin were up challenging to be promoted  and had a game with Celtic B team  near the end of the season. Celtic fielded quite a few first team players that day and beat Brechin quite convincingly . This knocked the momentum and we ended up losing out marginally on promotion. 

This colt idea is not a new thing by any means .  Just another regurgitated plan by cockwomble and co  ( like the league cup set  up ) under their premise of a bright new concept.  

Celtic A were in a different division from Brechin, Brechin were in North & East, Celtic A were in South & West. Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs & Dundee reserves played in C Division N&E

ALL THE "COLTS / RESERVES THAT USED TO PLAY IN EAST OF SCOTLAND LEAGUE. FERRANTI THISTLE & HIBS COLTS USED TO SHARE CITY PARK & WHEN THEY MET THERE WAS ALWAYS A FRIENDLY " TONGUE in CHEEK "  ARGUMENT WHO GOT THE HOME DRESSING ROOM / " DUG OUT " . GOOD OLD DAYS ON THE SUN DRENCHED SLOPES of CITY PARK & ABLE 2 STAND / SIT ANY WHERE

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Celtic A were in a different division from Brechin, Brechin were in North & East, Celtic A were in South & West. Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs & Dundee reserves played in C Division N&E

Could it possibly have been a play off type scenario ?  My dad did seem quite adamant that it was Celtic who fielded ringers  when he told me  many years ago. 

9 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Could it possibly have been a play off type scenario ?  My dad did seem quite adamant that it was Celtic who fielded ringers  when he told me  many years ago. 

Celtic A never won C Division S&W

In 1953-54 we won the C division and we beat Celtic A to clinch the title.  The winning goal scored by Albert Juluissen.  

Now I am not that old but I always remember this was in the match programme every week when I was a youngster. They had a small history of the club on the opening pages.  I don’t have any old programmes now but if anybody has these from the early 80s I am sure you will see it there.

Celtic A played in the South and West section in the first season that Division C was regionalised (1949/50), but played in the North and East section in each of the following seasons until the league closed down (1950/51 to 1954/55).

Excerpt from an old Cowden programme - '

One match to go and how fitting that it was to be in such an arena as Celtic Park.  Brechin City asked British Rail to lay on a special train to Glasgow for the match but BR refused as Brechin station had been closed to passenger traffic in August 1952.  Instead over 400 fans made the journey in a fleet of buses.  The match though was in doubt and 2 inches of snow needed to be cleared from the Parkhead pitch to ensure the game would go on.  11,000 watched Brechin’s historic win and once again it was Julie who did the damage.  The Brechin side had lined up: Tidy; Paterson, Hodge; Philp, Smith, Aitken; Kiddie, Lawrence, Juliussen, McGeachie, & Peat.  Now Brechin were virtually champions.   Only Aberdeen ‘A’ could match them but they needed to win their last 3 games by an aggregate margin of 13-0 to do so.  Brechin were confident enough on the way back home to stop off in Forfar to shout ‘we’ll be seeing you next season!’.

Aberdeen though made a good start as they beat Montrose 5-0 albeit they had beaten the Gable Endies 13-1 when they had last met.  However, Aberdeen ultimately failed in their quest and at last it was true.  City were champions with 34 points from 24 games (Aberdeen ‘A’ finished with 33 points). 

36 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Celtic A played in the South and West section in the first season that Division C was regionalised (1949/50), but played in the North and East section in each of the following seasons until the league closed down (1950/51 to 1954/55).

I stand corrected. Always assumed Celtic A played in the S&w

2 hours ago, charlie king mvp said:

In 1953-54 we won the C division and we beat Celtic A to clinch the title.  The winning goal scored by Albert Juluissen.  

Now I am not that old but I always remember this was in the match programme every week when I was a youngster. They had a small history of the club on the opening pages.  I don’t have any old programmes now but if anybody has these from the early 80s I am sure you will see it there.

1 hour ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Excerpt from an old Cowden programme - '

One match to go and how fitting that it was to be in such an arena as Celtic Park.  Brechin City asked British Rail to lay on a special train to Glasgow for the match but BR refused as Brechin station had been closed to passenger traffic in August 1952.  Instead over 400 fans made the journey in a fleet of buses.  The match though was in doubt and 2 inches of snow needed to be cleared from the Parkhead pitch to ensure the game would go on.  11,000 watched Brechin’s historic win and once again it was Julie who did the damage.  The Brechin side had lined up: Tidy; Paterson, Hodge; Philp, Smith, Aitken; Kiddie, Lawrence, Juliussen, McGeachie, & Peat.  Now Brechin were virtually champions.   Only Aberdeen ‘A’ could match them but they needed to win their last 3 games by an aggregate margin of 13-0 to do so.  Brechin were confident enough on the way back home to stop off in Forfar to shout ‘we’ll be seeing you next season!’.

Aberdeen though made a good start as they beat Montrose 5-0 albeit they had beaten the Gable Endies 13-1 when they had last met.  However, Aberdeen ultimately failed in their quest and at last it was true.  City were champions with 34 points from 24 games (Aberdeen ‘A’ finished with 33 points). 

At least the Celtic part was right .😀

I was adamant he said we lost out . Possibly got mixed up with the previous season . Ach well at least that was cleared up. 

9 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

At least the Celtic part was right .😀

I was adamant he said we lost out . Possibly got mixed up with the previous season . Ach well at least that was cleared up. 

Apologies to you. And your dad.

(Quite possible our fathers knew each other - we lived in Brechin in those todays, although I can't remember 1953/54, and afaik, my father regularly attended Glebe Park.)

• 1 month later...

In among the shite of B teams which won't fly, I think this part of the idea is a good start in terms of bridging the gap between youth teams at 17 and first team football at 21:

"Alternatively, they could forge strategic partnerships with lower-league outfits that would allow up to six players, plus one coach to be loaned by the Premiership club;
Those partnerships would have a minimum three-year commitment and would cease if the lower-league club reaches the top flight."

It keeps B teams out the pyramid and addresses the problem of lack of first team football for elite younger players. The only problems are that it will put some part time players out of a league contract and whether fans of lower league clubs would accept players.

However I do like the idea of a bigger loan system to help aid development. It has to be done in a way that helps lower league clubs also, but it would help bridge the development gap. Done on a relatively local/regional level partnership wise, it could strengthen ties.

However I am just a big romantic, it won't happen.

On 18 December 2016 at 09:21, AllyMonc said:

The news this morning is full of stories about this being a big part of 'project brave'. You'd imagine this would end up with L2 a 12 team league with a split but then again will the colts teams be allowed promotion (or relegation) and how will it affect the highland and lowland playoff system......... lots of questions and very few answers for something that will help the OF and judging by the crowd numbers for colts games in the irn bru cup season, nobody else.

Four years later and the story is still rolling rolling rolling

"Other Premiership clubs can apply to have 'B' teams starting in the Highland and Lowland leagues - replacing Kelty and Brora - with a joining fee of £25,000"

Seems to have been written with a complete ignorance of the fact that there are three feeder leagues below the Lowland League.