Old Firm Colts in L2

Colts teams in lower league Scottish football can provide experience of 2 things for young players. How to handle getting kicked and how to play the ball around against less mobile or technically inferior opposition - neither of these will count for anything when/if they step back up. Get this pish in the sea!!

I totally understand people's reaction to this. I would say though that there could be a argument made for putting colt teams in at the very bottom of the pyramid. Whether that is east of Scotland or a new West of Scotland league and having conditions on how high they can progress up the leagues.

Theres restrictions of sort already in place as the 3 reserve teams in the pyramid (Annan, Stranraer & Stirling Uni) can't play higher than tier 6 hence why theres no EOS vs SOS promotion playoff this season as Stranraer won the SOS. However if colts get shoehorned in higher up the system that rule ofc goes out the window.

1 hour ago, Officer Barbrady said:

It was merely a personal opinion, when i posted regarding him. Jackie McNamara was quoted in the same category, twice, when competing with genuine top-drawer players in the 90s. "Unfulfilled" was mentioned regarding him, it's fair to say. 

With regard strictly to McGregor, as an example, McCart's sole tenet on this is that Colt teams will develop better players than him in the future. This is garbage. It's not something Celtic need to improve on, in the current climate. It's 40 of the 41 other clubs, who need to instead. 

Yup. I thought McNamara would win 50 caps and captain Scotland. I think he might not have had quite the right mindset for that level; he wanted to win, but the Rangers players he was up against needed to win. I think Callum McGregor is better than that, but the game's about opinions (Gerry). 

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

St Johnstone outing themselves as being in favour of this too.

16 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Delighted the St JohnSons relationship appears to have died off.

*bins St Johnstone top*

Dont leave :(

Chairmans a massive ***, who also wanted to vote Rangers into the Championship. Fan pressure helped sway him to vote against that, so hopefully fan pressure helps change his mind about the Colt idea.

15 hours ago, Radford said:

Very disappointing and hopefully he'll come to realise the error of his ways. 

But have any Premiership club come out and said they aren't in favour? If a club like Saints who - and they'll strongly deny it - play themselves a bit at youth development are willing to back it, you can bet that more than Motherwell will join the big city teams in supporting it. 

It is a horrendous idea. 

The original proposal was for just four Colt teams to take part, and there are eight clubs in the Elite tier of Project Brave, of which St Johnstone are not one. Therefore if Saints thought that they had a chance of getting selected for one, then that would suggest to me that none of the Elite sides outside of Celtic, Rangers and Motherwell were hugely keen. Because if Hearts or Hibs or Aberdeen were keen, then they would be picked ahead of Motherwell, let alone Saints.

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dont leave :(

Chairmans a massive ***, who also wanted to vote Rangers into the Championship. Fan pressure helped sway him to vote against that, so hopefully fan pressure helps change his mind about the Colt idea.

Aye the ten of you all emailing should get the job done.

53 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Aye the ten of you all emailing should get the job done.

Worth mentioning the chat of Colts goes up to League One level.

Scenes when St Johnstone Colts take on Falkirk competitively...

Edited by RandomGuy.

Worth mentioning the chat of Colts goes up to League One level.
Scenes when St Johnstone Colts take on Falkirk competitively...
So not going to email your club then?

(I can take the moral high ground here as I did email Falkirk about it)

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Therefore if Saints thought that they had a chance of getting selected for one, then that would suggest to me that none of the Elite sides outside of Celtic, Rangers and Motherwell were hugely keen. 

You are giving him far too much credit I fear. 

In reality, I suspect he wants to ditch the reserves for financial reasons (i.e. less full-time players) and has just come out with something, without giving it much thought. 

But I don't remember there being any evidence at all of what @RandomGuy. suggested about him wanting to vote Rangers into the Championship. Happy to be proven wrong. 

14 minutes ago, Radford said:

But I don't remember there being any evidence at all of what @RandomGuy. suggested about him wanting to vote Rangers into the Championship. Happy to be proven wrong. 

I'm sure we voted them into the bottom tier, but in the announcement about it he mentioned something along the lines of being worried financially by it but doing it due to fans assuring him theyd make up the shortfall.

Just found the article though and it's not what I thought, they say there will be a financial impact but "sporting integrity" meant theyd vote them into the bottom tier, and a "groundswell of fans opinion" simply backed up that point of view.

Edited by RandomGuy.

If they rate any of these players, give them game time in the first team. If not, stop being so greedy and they can be with teams where they are more likely to play.

Unless clubs are going to significantly strengthen their 2nd strings, this is pointless as the majority will never be top division standard anyway. All you do is offer teams in Championship-L2 and below players on frees with SPFL experience. The good players will be in and around the Celtic squad and will gain little from playing in L2.

Here's the current whereabouts of Celtic's non 1st team players five years ago, in 2014-15:

image.png.6a4390d16a7bc36fac2859ddbf9e3a13.png

Colour coding for highest level played at: if they played top flight, Green, Champ: Navy, L1: Sky, L2: Maroon. White: never played 1st team in top 4 divisions.

Edited by cmontheloknow

The old firm have moved on from colts in the lower leagues now.

Reading in the daily mail today they want to set up an Atlantic reserve league [emoji23]

22 minutes ago, ftk said:

The old firm have moved on from colts in the lower leagues now.

Reading in the daily mail today they want to set up an Atlantic reserve league emoji23.png

Good, there have been plenty folk suggesting to get them in the sea anyway.

Why do “journalists “ publish this shit without question? Neither team has won 7-0 in any of their games, Celtic won 1 match 6-0, no other game was decided by those margins, who the f**k allows them to imply this happens on a by-weekly basis?

7 hours ago, gogsy said:

McNamara didn't come through the system at Celtic either, was nearly twenty two when he signed forCeltic

I'll field this- i threw McNamara in as comparison to Callum McGregor being quoted as PFA PotY, of a player i felt could have it all, and in the late mid-90s, was doing it against truly quality opponents, and shortlisted for this himself against them. In my view, CMcG isn't a particularly special player, but then he doesn't need to be. That's not his fault, he's a professional doing his best, but i fail to see how Celtic could attain better than him, Forrest or Tierney from the proposals McCart puts forward.

The catalyst for this was the question, why would Celtic's players, or those of any elite club for that matter, including a young McNamara, have improved playing in L2 (or D3 at the time), more so now when they have produced players of a sufficient standard under the current format to help them remain dominant while pocketing gazillions from sell-ons of foreigners signed for peanuts. They can't have both these, then also demand to excel at lower league level with the standard of player montheloknow highlights above. The vested interest alone is against the nature of the sport.

Edited by Officer Barbrady

23 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Why do “journalists “ publish this shit without question? Neither team has won 7-0 in any of their games, Celtic won 1 match 6-0, no other game was decided by those margins, who the f**k allows them to imply this happens on a by-weekly basis?

The standard of journalism in Scotland is bloody awful.

The Jackshuns of this world pander to an ever decreasing readership.