Old Firm Colts in L2

Just now, Marten said:

I wouldn't object to merging league 1 & 2 and expanding the Championship to 12 clubs, but the colt teams idea can get in the sea.

The previous restructuring plans of 12-12-18, with Premiership & Championship then splitting in 8-8-8, didn't seem a bad idea to me. Merging League 1 and 2 sounds fine to me too, that division could even be expanded to 20 if you add a HL & LL team, as long as automatic relegation (and #19 in PO) will be introduced.

There's more chance of automatic relegation being introduced (out of the SPFL) if there are bigger divisions, imo.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

There's more chance of automatic relegation being introduced (out of the SPFL) if there are bigger divisions, imo.

Yep, that's why I said this indeed, also adding a HL & LL team to make it a 20 team league could make it easier for clubs to accept automatic relegation.

If, and it's a big if, they actually keep the rules so that colt teams are under 21 then they'll get utterly smashed every week in the championship. Of course if this happened I fully expect the SFA to alter the rules and essentially make them reserve teams instead.

8 minutes ago, edinabear said:

The article is quite badly worded. What division are they proposing putting the colts in?

That's what I was wondering it says 2 promoted automatically from League One and HL & LL champions automatically promoted. That's your 44.

The article isn't that badly worded - but people are reading things into it that maybe aren't actually proposed - it doesn't say 2 colt teams would go into the Championship. It also lists options thus some of these are alternatives so presumably 2 colt teams or one each from HL/LL would take you to 44

Not against a restructuring that bumps each league up to 12 teams. Fast tracking stronger clubs from the Lowland/Highland leagues would enhance the competition. Colt teams would do exactly the opposite and suck the life out of it. 

On 02/05/2019 at 12:01, Bazil85 said:

It's so frustrating they keep pushing this idea when it has been shown there is little fan appetite for it outside the biggest clubs. If they want to improve the quality of young players then lobby for change that forces teams to develop, it would be so easy. 

Two/ three year grace period then put in a rule where 3-5 of all starting 11 need to be: 

- Under 23 at start of season 

- Trained at YOUR club for a minimum of three years before they're 17. (This would prevent bigger teams just swallowing up young talent and mean all the players would be Scotland eligible)

All clubs being bound by the same rules would soon force the youth issue. 

Nice idea but completely unworkable to cover all teams.  The governing body have essentially removed all youth development funding for part time clubs, some part time clubs doing away with their youth teams altogether because funding it is extremely difficult/nigh on impossible.  If they want all clubs to produce players then funding needs to be provided to all clubs. I would also argue that with the above ruling would mean MORE players are swallowed up by the big teams - if they actually need to play these kids then they'll need to make sure they've got ones good enough, that means signing more and seeing who comes through IMO.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

I wouldn't object to merging league 1 & 2 and expanding the Championship to 12 clubs, but the colt teams idea can get in the sea.

The previous restructuring plans of 12-12-18, with Premiership & Championship then splitting in 8-8-8, didn't seem a bad idea to me. Merging League 1 and 2 sounds fine to me too, that division could even be expanded to 20 if you add a HL & LL team, as long as automatic relegation (and #19 in PO) will be introduced.

I didn't really like the 8-8-8 split, but I do support bigger leagues. Are there any workable solutions/alternatives to doing that 8-8-8 split?

25 minutes ago, an86 said:

Not against a restructuring that bumps each league up to 12 teams. Fast tracking stronger clubs from the Lowland/Highland leagues would enhance the competition. Colt teams would do exactly the opposite and suck the life out of it. 

Agree with your comments re the 2 extra teams from the Lowland/Highland League getting in. The clubs should make it plain to those in charge that NO WAY should Colt teams from the Ugly Sisters be involved in League 2. If that happens I for one will be boycotting games between the Albion and them. Lets hope common sense prevails and this idea of Colts teams is buried once and forever. 

2 minutes ago, rhliston said:

If that happens I for one will be boycotting games between the Albion and them. 

With all due respect, this will be useless.  Rangers/Celtic know that clubs will stand to lose money in these games, hence why a cash payment was included in the proposals, to make up for any shortfall in fans staying away for those games.  if your club think that they can get by on that payment and you'll still turn up for the other games, they could be tempted to take it.  Clubs need to think that fans will walk away for good, not just for a week or two.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

With all due respect, this will be useless.  Rangers/Celtic know that clubs will stand to lose money in these games, hence why a cash payment was included in the proposals, to make up for any shortfall in fans staying away for those games.  if your club think that they can get by on that payment and you'll still turn up for the other games, they could be tempted to take it.  Clubs need to think that fans will walk away for good, not just for a week or two.

Don't think the Albion are for the Colt teams getting in  but as you say the cash payment may sway certain clubs into agreeing to the Colt teams being let in. Lets hope enough supporters of other clubs let their feelings be known to those in charge of their respective clubs. 

What specific reason(s) do you have thinking merging L1 and L2 would be benificial?

Personally, I think they have been great value with 10 teams; likely way too many meaningless games come March in an 18 team league.

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Why on Earth are we seemingly so insistent on changing the current league structure?  The Championship has had it's most bonkers season in ages, League 1 saw most clubs with something to play for up until the last few weeks and League 2 saw the title decided on the final day while Berwick were only confirmed in 10th with a game to go.

It isn't broken so stop trying to fix it.  The Old Firm Colts can piss off as well.  The governing bodies actually need to take a long hard look at themselves and understand that they are looking out for Scottish Football and not 2 sides who would sooner be playing abroad than here.   It's utterly pathetic quite how badly ran Scottish football is.

For once can they focus their efforts on actually promoting the game up here?  There is so many great stories to focus on in Scotland but just days after the season is finished they're trying to push through a change that suits the Old Firm.  It's disgusting behaviour and I'm amazed that they have the cheek to actually try a different way to get to the same shitty result that was laughed at last time.

I'm not - they're like Sinn Fein, they'll keep pushing with a slightly different approach until whatever it is their whinging about appears "mainstream" and gets accepted.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Nice idea but completely unworkable to cover all teams.  The governing body have essentially removed all youth development funding for part time clubs, some part time clubs doing away with their youth teams altogether because funding it is extremely difficult/nigh on impossible.  If they want all clubs to produce players then funding needs to be provided to all clubs. I would also argue that with the above ruling would mean MORE players are swallowed up by the big teams - if they actually need to play these kids then they'll need to make sure they've got ones good enough, that means signing more and seeing who comes through IMO.

I didn't really like the 8-8-8 split, but I do support bigger leagues. Are there any workable solutions/alternatives to doing that 8-8-8 split?

The problem of 12 team leagues is that there aren't many good options, playing everyone 4 times would give 44 games, 3 times would mean an imbalance between home and away games. So you will have to have some kind of split.