Old Firm Colts in L2

24 minutes ago, RiG said:

Seen that myself earlier, Ignoring the colt stuff If I was a supporter of a championship team I would be thinking  f**k that. Will be a shitload more of midweek games which fans don’t have a lot of appetite for as it is. A nightmare for the extra part time teams too. Ridiculous proposal.

Edited by gannonball

Seen that myself earlier, f**k that will be a shitload more of midweek games that fans cant be arsed with a lot of the time now as it is. A nightmare for the extra part time teams too. Ridiculous proposal.

Wouldn't they just do a split as in Premiership and play 38 games rather than 44?

Just now, Cowden Cowboy said:

Wouldn't they just do a split as in Premiership and play 38 games rather than 44?

Article says 44 games. Don’t know how great the split would work in the championship  but f**k those extra games . Would there then be play offs on top?

This is just another case of Doncaster and his cronies looking at England and thinking "Hey, their Championship teams play 44 games a season let's have our Championship league do the same!"

12 minutes ago, RiG said:

This is just another case of Doncaster and his cronies looking at England and thinking "Hey, their Championship teams play 44 games a season let's have our Championship league do the same!"

Thats the only thing I thought as I cant really think of any actual logical reason for this. Despite there being decent enough money in the English championship it’s seen as a bit of a clogger league due to the amount of games so clubs are inclined to go with hardy players over technical ones who can take knocks and play 2 games most weeks. Makes a lot of the games shite to watch.

Edited by gannonball

Was going to write logically about what is wrong with this and about,

It;s always 'two colt team', never say which two they will be, never suggest a chance for other Colt teams (even if you were for the idea - which I'm not), 

A plan designed for the benefit of the Bigot Brothers with extra mid week games for that unlike the English Championship won't have the promotion of Sky and live coverage when up against Champions League, and will more than likely hurt part time teams not help then. Can the Colts be relegated, or are they permanently locked into the Championship......

But cant' be bothered. It ridiculous and Doncaster needs in the sea

This again ffs.

Of course, officials at Celtic and Rangers will be telling the SPFL to get the colts in.  Let's not pretend this is all the SPFL's doing.

25 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Assuming the playoffs stay in the same format, is there even enough dates in the calendar for a 44 game season plus three cups?

There will be many, many more midweek fixtures. Teams in the Championship don't have the squads to deal with that number of league games.

32 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

They’re really not willing to let this die are they?

Almost have to admire their sheer perseverance. But then that can often be confused with desperation. 

I fail to believe that most clubs aren't in touch enough with their support to realise there is no appetite for colts and have always been confident it won't get the votes required. They (i.e. the Old Firm) clearly aren't taking no for an answer though. 

Just picturing the discussions by the head honchos over this.

"Right lads, we've tried to get the colts into the bottom of the pyramid time and time again, the club's keep rejecting it and have made it clear that aren't interested. Anyone any other ideas on how to improve our game?"

"........how about we try and trash the championship, the most entertaining league in the country, to try and fit in....now stick with me here....colt teams?"

"By jove I think he's got it!!"

On 02/05/2019 at 12:20, GNU_Linux said:

iirc Celtic were looking at buying a majority in St Pats of the Irish League then using them to farm out their players

League of Ireland.

Cliftonville or (newly relegated) Newry City would probably be the only Irish League teams Celtic would be looking at.

It's phrased in a way to sway the League One teams and set them against League Two, and to encourage Championship teams to accept in the short terms as there would be no relegation for a season: so in general 20 clubs could be opposing ten, then things can change again when Celtic and The Rangers get their Colt teams into the system.

Clubs are just stupid enough to go for this: a 20% chance of promotion for League One clubs, and preservation for any Championship sides who may feel vulnerable, in fear of relegation. 

Simpsons SPFL needs to create a gif of the Trash of the Titans episode with “Love Day”.

"Okay, people. We need to cook up a new way of getting Rangers and Celtic colt sides into the league." 
"How about one off payments to lower league clubs? We had great penetration with Sponsorship II."
"Ooh. I know. No Relegation. Like Relegation, but less relegation." 
"No, no, no! No. It's got to be warm and fuzzy- something like, um, League Revamp... but not so lame. "

"Happy League Revamp, everyone!"

giphy.gif

Edited by RiG

I wouldn't object to merging league 1 & 2 and expanding the Championship to 12 clubs, but the colt teams idea can get in the sea.

The previous restructuring plans of 12-12-18, with Premiership & Championship then splitting in 8-8-8, didn't seem a bad idea to me. Merging League 1 and 2 sounds fine to me too, that division could even be expanded to 20 if you add a HL & LL team, as long as automatic relegation (and #19 in PO) will be introduced.