• Announcements

• Div

Pie and Bovril Nostalgia Mobile Phone Cases!   12/09/18

We are delighted to have partnered up with Nostalgia Cases to offer a huge range of fantastic Scottish Football phone cases to our visitors. These high quality cases are available in a range of retro and up to date designs and there variations available for all Premiership, Championship and League 1 clubs as well as four of the League 2 teams. Within each club there are a range of choices. You'll find it difficult to choose! This is an Edinburgh based start-up, and they also provide a custom design service so if there is a kit you don't see that you'd love for your phone you can get in touch with them and they'll add it to their range. Naturally there is a HUGE support for all the major phone manufacturers and models and what's more delivery in the UK is completely FREE. What's even better is that Pie and Bovril users can get 10% off their order using the coupon code PIEANDBOV Take a look and browse the full range for your favourite club by clicking through to the website below. https://bit.ly/2M5laZs
AllyMonc

Old Firm Colts in L2

15 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Proof that Celtic have zero interest in benefiting Scottish football as a whole.

Good let them play around with someone elses league, in a roundabout way it might give them a chance to emulate the other cheek & win the Challenge Cup if we still have Irish entrants next year :whistle  Wonder if the next idea will be to get their full time womens team into the league system to boost our ladies national teams chance to win the World Cup.

5 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Good let them play around with someone elses league, in a roundabout way it might give them a chance to emulate the other cheek & win the Challenge Cup if we still have Irish entrants next year :whistle  Wonder if the next idea will be to get their full time womens team into the league system to boost our ladies national teams chance to win the World Cup.

David Goodwillie may stay longer at Clyde then......

That isn't even up for debate given the shenanigans of completely rewriting their own rules 6/7 years ago!
The result of which means that the bigger sides can do exactly as they like. There is effectively hee haw voting power for the bottom two divisions, so they will have whatever the big sides have in mind foisted upon them. As an aside, the rest of the teams can kiss their chances for loan signings goodbye. That's one for them to think about.

6 hours ago, GordonD said:

Proof that Celtic have zero interest in benefiting Scottish football as a whole.

And why should they? They're a team, a business, a global franchise all of their own. 

It's the shitebags they have in their pay at Hampden you want to be concerned with. 

2 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

And why should they? They're a team, a business, a global franchise all of their own. 

Wasn't that the whole point of the Colts thing?

8 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Wasn't that the whole point of the Colts thing?

Depending on which way you mean, yes and no. Leaving a footprint in Scotland of course was always likely to be a condition of any departure. But the SPFL have moved heaven and Earth to promote the benefits of both Colt teams and cross-border competition using the very guinea-pigs they plan to slice right up the middle, of course via the Irn Bru Cup. 

Celtic might be backing away from the idea as they are looking to buy a majority in Shamrock Rovers. Part of the deal would see players getting loaned out there. I might be wrong as LOI is a summer league

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-in-talks-over-investing-13811032

On 03/01/2019 at 10:16, cmontheloknow said:

Age sides and reserves exist to provide the one or two with genuine potential with team mates. The rest will find their level downwards. None of these proposals will significantly alter that as talent (and having the wherewithall to make the most of it) is IMO nature more than nurture. A player that is born a grafter will make more of limited talent than a born-lazy but slightly more gifted player. Better training and coaching will help players make the most of what they have but it won't turn the donkey into a racehorse.

I agree, but there are racehorses out there. They are generally ignored and the focus is on the donkeys who are stronger or bigger instead of encouraging the racehorses. Usually because the coaches cannot see what's obvious in front of them.

When you have the likes of Strachan saying we are too small in height and build, then what hope is there. 

Nothing has changed over the years. 

4 hours ago, PELE said:

I agree, but there are racehorses out there. They are generally ignored and the focus is on the donkeys who are stronger or bigger instead of encouraging the racehorses. Usually because the coaches cannot see what's obvious in front of them.

When you have the likes of Strachan saying we are too small in height and build, then what hope is there. 

Nothing has changed over the years. 

But the colts being shoved into L2/3 won't be fixing that as it's all about how the game is played here. The technically gifted ball players aren't going to flourish on heavy pitches in the lower leagues though they may learn how to ride a tackle! Big guys are good for set pieces at either end and they can win games. Win the physical battle and you're halfway to victory. I watched both legs of Aberdeen v Burnley at the start of the season and it was as clear as night and day the difference in size between the teams. Burnley had some good players but Aberdeen outshone them (IMO) in the technical department. The bigger, stronger team won through.

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

But the colts being shoved into L2/3 won't be fixing that as it's all about how the game is played here. The technically gifted ball players aren't going to flourish on heavy pitches in the lower leagues though they may learn how to ride a tackle! Big guys are good for set pieces at either end and they can win games. Win the physical battle and you're halfway to victory. I watched both legs of Aberdeen v Burnley at the start of the season and it was as clear as night and day the difference in size between the teams. Burnley had some good players but Aberdeen outshone them (IMO) in the technical department. The bigger, stronger team won through.

I think Burnley are just a better team than Aberdeen. My point was, coaches should stop obsessing about a players hieght and build. Skill is what matters, not height. English teams are the worst in the world for it. They pack their teams full of big lumps and rely mostly on foreign players for the skill.

17 minutes ago, PELE said:

I think Burnley are just a better team than Aberdeen. My point was, coaches should stop obsessing about a players hieght and build. Skill is what matters, not height. English teams are the worst in the world for it. They pack their teams full of big lumps and rely mostly on foreign players for the skill.

On the evidence of the two games, they were not better with a capital B. To my eyes though it looked at times like a men v boys game such was the difference in stature of the two sets of teams. Aberdeen gave a really good account of themselves.

The English lower leagues are packed full of hammer throwers. The skilful players, once marginalised, seem to drift up here.

12 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

I'M GONNA SAY IT, HOLD ME BACK BOYS!

f**k THE 'BIG TEAMS'

f**k THEIR MANAGERS

f**k COLT TEAMS IN THE PYRAMID

For a view that is much more nuanced yet just as condeming, give this a read; http://argyle.life/analysis/b-team-myth/

Angry swearing and capital letters, its all gone a bit brexity in here.

On 04/01/2019 at 12:45, Ross Forbes said:

One of two things going on here. Either this is dead, and Celtic are going to make Shamrock a proxy-Colt side - albeit one playing abroad. Or it's all a bluff to try and force the SPFL into shoehorning this through. 

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0104/1020258-celtic-eyeing-up-investment-in-shamrock-rovers/

Well, at least Rovers wouldn't need to supply the Celtic loanees with jerseys...

On 05/01/2019 at 22:27, cmontheloknow said:

On the evidence of the two games, they were not better with a capital B. To my eyes though it looked at times like a men v boys game such was the difference in stature of the two sets of teams. Aberdeen gave a really good account of themselves.

The English lower leagues are packed full of hammer throwers. The skilful players, once marginalised, seem to drift up here.

I’d say this is fair. I was at the game at Pittodrie and what struck me what the size of all the Burnley players. However, they tried to play more football than normal. They were arrogant as they assumed they could out football Aberdeen - they were wrong as they simply weren’t good enough. They then brought Vokes on and hit him long with everything and Aberdeen couldn’t deal with it. 

Reports today of another SPFL meeting with a view to setting up a national tier 5 which would include Colt teams.

Surely this can’t go ahead as the top 4 teams in the Lowland League, plus Cove in the Highland League, all play on artificial surfaces. The PFA & old firm wouldn’t risk the lives of their most talented young players by making them play on “dangerous” surfaces. You’ll be lucky if any of the youngsters are still able to walk by the time they’re 20…