Old Firm Colts in L2

Apart from Motherwell colts scudding east Stirling I suppose?
The scoreline doesnt reflect how the game actually went. We switched off for 5 minutes in the first half and lost 3 goals. Matched them all over the park. We ended up picking up a few injuries and finished with 9 men. The only real difference was the fitness and pace they had up top.

Hardly, they may improve in either environment but 11 potentially can benefit playing v L2 teams every week whereas the numbers will be much less in 1st team.

How are they going to improve taking hammerings off league 2 sides as opposed to being loaned out and blended in with experienced players at other clubs (ie the current system).

And even if they do improve are they really going to be good enough to break into the first team at the old firm or at international level?

Is the biggest obstacle to our youth players developing missing out on a few seasons getting beasted off Annan or Cowdenbeath?

And so it all begins again.....which is exactly what Cowden Cowboy wanted thereby providing him with the opportunity to keep stirring the pot and maintaining his profile as the (seeming) most prolific poster on this thread. The vast majority of us know this was a pish idea from the start, so at what point will this dead horse stop being flogged?

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If you're against it, why do you feel the need to keep pointing out the apparent positives of the plan?

So that people look at things in the round rather than always knee jerk and parrot same thing ad Infinitum.  Reality is there may be benefits for young players but these are outweighed by the downsides for Scottish football as a whole

17 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

So that people look at things in the round rather than always knee jerk and parrot same thing ad Infinitum.  Reality is there may be benefits for young players but these are outweighed by the downsides for Scottish football as a whole

I can't say I see any real need for that when everyone seems to be in agreement that it's not good for Scottish football but okay.

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, The Spider said:

See the guys on here (and the lurkers) who are against this?

Write to your clubs. Get your family and friends to do the same. This can only happen if the clubs allow it - and alienating their fanbase is not a good business model.

Don't know if these talks involved all clubs or just a chosen few, when this was brought up before I made a point of talking to our chairman & sent a e-mail to the club  basically saying if the club were to support the inclusion of extra teams for some clubs into a system they already have involvement in then I would no longer require a season ticket & other cash payments would no longer be forthcoming from myself as I would be following  football in a different league. Have said throughout it should be one team per club in the system, if they cannot provide meaningful game time for their squad players via the reserve/development league then that is no reason to destroy  lower league football for the sake of a couple teams that have always said they wanted to leave the Scottish League System if anyone would take them.

Edited by peternapper

1 minute ago, The Minertaur said:

I'm certain that the meeting this week was all the lower league clubs.  Certainly League 1 + 2 anyway.

Ok, I remember previously when asking the club about their position was I was told they had never received anything official to vote on so could not comment on how they viewed it. Doncaster & his Celtic pal maybe should ask Mrs May on how to proceed.

The common sense answer to this, is simply the 'other' 40 clubs (or indeed anyone in the HL/LL) each register an interest in fielding a Colt team, drafted from the usual pool of "local young talent", and collectively hire speakers from the worlds of sport, business, entertainment, employment law (for explaining exactly how ie  Albion Rovers plan to have 38 players on their payroll) and lastly comedy to pitch it to the SPFL committee. 

It'll be dead before it gets to Doncaster in that case. 

Edited by Officer Barbrady

It may be a OF puff piece but actually reading the quotes they have it's far better news(from a football perspective) than they make out.

Reads like there was a meeting, everyone agreed it was a lot of shite and went home. The OF then tell the media it can happen as 'it's being talked about'.

Also explains why cowden cowboy is now taking about negatives as well. He has been put in his place once he realised nobody else is anywhere near as ready to suck OF cock for a pittance and 'the good of the game'

3 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Why all the fuss - nobody was interested in debating this a week or two ago!  Anyway a chance for folk to type Get in the Sea again

The fact this thread is 140 pages would suggest that people are quite interested in debating this.

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case I apologise. It's been a very long day.

7 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

The fact this thread is 140 pages would suggest that people are quite interested in debating this.

Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case I apologise. It's been a very long day.

I don't see 140 pages of debate, frankly. I barely see 140 words of it. 

This idea needed hammered into the ground like a fucking tent peg, or preferably, two tent pegs. 140 pages of strong opposition, with many wide ranging angles of resistance, and more was, is and will be required to consign it to the same bin as SPL2, SPLTV and the auld Rangers. 

The sad thing is, most clubs who vote for it or not, will somehow find a way to survive even if large swathes of their clientele do indeed bugger off. That would be a footballing equivalent of being dead behind the eyes. And the process has already begun. 

I was indeed being sarcastic as folks tried to close down chat on this on Trapdoorwatch as it seemingly wasn't the appropriate forum. This wouldn't seem to be the appropriate forum either by those standards. There isn't a proposal for Old Firm Colts in L2. There are discussions about a new L3/Division 5 and that involves a number of possibilities including colts teams/HL/LL teams thus suggest for the pedants a new thread entitled L3/Division 5 be set up for a proposal that remains subject to ongoing discussion and shaping.

8 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I was indeed being sarcastic as folks tried to close down chat on this on Trapdoorwatch as it seemingly wasn't the appropriate forum. This wouldn't seem to be the appropriate forum either by those standards. There isn't a proposal for Old Firm Colts in L2. There are discussions about a new L3/Division 5 and that involves a number of possibilities including colts teams/HL/LL teams thus suggest for the pedants a new thread entitled L3/Division 5 be set up for a proposal that remains subject to ongoing discussion and shaping.

Because that has no bearing on League 2 clubs? What a thoroughly dense response.