Old Firm Colts in L2

1 hour ago, The Spider said:

You are quite correct that I am keeping a close watch on what happens regarding the future of Hampden, but I would also suggest that also applies to almost every single P&B poster, yourself included?

I would also suggest that your expression of concern (or lack of it) for QP's future has more to do with diverting attention from the real issue that is being discussed at boardroom level on a daily basis at every club the length and breadth of the country.....................why are Cowden not participating in the new reserve league (surely not because they have major survival concerns of their own?)?

The reason for us not taking part in the Reserve League was mentioned on our official site a few months ago. It is because it is a mostly west based league, only teams from last seasons DLE taking part are Berwick, Raith,  Stirling and Livingston. Most of last seasons players were still/are at school and it was felt unfair having them travel to the other side of the country on school nights which seems fair enough.

If the East league ever returns i'm sure the situation will be re evaluated. 

Nothing against QP and hope you do get something sorted out in the future if the SFA are going to buy Hampden they should bring Lesser up to L2 standard and give QP a long term lease on the place.

Edited by cowdenbeath

47 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Nothing against QP and hope you do get something sorted out in the future if the SFA are going to buy Hampden they should bring Lesser up to L2 standard and give QP a long term lease on the place.

Cheers for those sentiments mate, and likewise hope Cowden's well documented financial issues improve over time allowing you to fully concentrate on the on-field side of things. The reasoning is sound, but I think the lack of competitive reserve fixtures places your youngsters at a disadvantage if they have to come straight into the 1st team from youth football once injuries and suspensions start to kick in.

27 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Cheers for those sentiments mate, and likewise hope Cowden's well documented financial issues improve over time allowing you to fully concentrate on the on-field side of things. The reasoning is sound, but I think the lack of competitive reserve fixtures places your youngsters at a disadvantage if they have to come straight into the 1st team from youth football once injuries and suspensions start to kick in.

We still have quite a few playing in the Fife Elite and the older ones who were kept on are on the bench although one has a long term injury. Don't know if we will go down the road of farming them out to junior sides like we did in the past (not much juniors teams left around here mind you).

Forfar and Alloa will be in the same boat as us as they pulled out as well. I would imagine we will have midweek closed door games at some point for young guys and boys on the bench for the 1st team.

Maybe one day enough East sides will want to get back into reserve football and we will have a separate league once more. I used to love the Reserve League East back in the late 80s early 90s was a really good league.

As I said a refurbished Lesser could be a really good ground for QP you already have the new club house there and the dressing rooms in the wee hoose just need to terrace the bankings and maybe a better seated stand?

Edited by cowdenbeath

I imagine CC will put you straight here but a wild guess at why Cowden aren't running a reserve team would be finances. As far as I'm aware nobody gets funding for fielding reserve teams, so you're effectively funding 2 full squads from the same pot of money. Dumbarton aren't participating (and scrapped our youth development programme) for pretty much the same reasons - the money we'd need to put into a reserve team just isn't worth the impact it would have on the performance of the club. That's not to say Cowden are on the verge of collapse, I know Dumbarton aren't, but both boards have clearly looked at the pros of entering a reserve team and found that the cons far outweigh them.

Cowden expressed interest in participating in what was originally proposed an East Reserve League. The SPFL then advised there weren't enough teams for East and West Divisions so they proposed one League across the country with games v Stranraer, Ayr, Berwick suggested. We felt the travelling involved would likely to be too much when and it would also increase costs and be less attractive to young players

In a week where Scotland's gone through a "new low" (oh Jim White, you crack me up), depsite a serious of cracking results for our European teams and by all accounts some great games in the League Cup over the past week, the arrogance of the English and the "Premier League iz da best leegue in da wurld m8" brigade, is it time to ask ourselves if a deal with Sky is worth the lack of respect our football gets?

Could Scottish football be sustained through our own "Network"? For talking sake, a membership at a rate of £9.99 per month, which airs each  & every game in Scottish professional football, from League 2 all the way to the Premiership. And every single season ticket holder of each club would receive a discount at £4.99 per month for their support each season, whilst helping fund our beautiful game. Thoughts? Obviously, not a lot of logistical thought has gone into it. It's a total spitball idea, but something that's been running through my head seeing Paul, the racist plumber from Barnsley telling me his nan with a fake hip could be a superstar in our leagues. 

And whilst we're at it, GET THE COLTS SO FAR TO F**K.

The English media keep banging on about how the English Premier League is the best in the world, particularly during the World Cup.

But how many Englishmen are in it? I've heard a figure of 33% but have no idea how accurate that is. But take away all the furriners and see how good the league is then.

The English media keep banging on about how the English Premier League is the best in the world, particularly during the World Cup.
But how many Englishmen are in it? I've heard a figure of 33% but have no idea how accurate that is. But take away all the furriners and see how good the league is then.

I'm not sure what relevance this has to the topic and I'm more than happy to put the boot in to the EPL and its marketing. But surely how we judge a league is by quality of the players and clubs in it, exciting matches, derbies and competitiveness rather than nationality of those involved?

Cowden expressed interest in participating in what was originally proposed an East Reserve League. The SPFL then advised there weren't enough teams for East and West Divisions so they proposed one League across the country with games v Stranraer, Ayr, Berwick suggested. We felt the travelling involved would likely to be too much when and it would also increase costs and be less attractive to young players

National mid-week football for clubs of your size is quite difficult to justify. Have you considered looking into the EoS/LL u20s? The league has done well over the last few years and with clubs joining the setup more interest is following. I can't see any logical reason for this to not be suitable for SPFL sides(correct me if I'm wrong)

If this were true then English clubs would be dominating the European competitions, winning trophies regularly.

The fact they aren’t tells us it’s not the best league in the world, in terms of quality anyway.

If this were true then English clubs would be dominating the European competitions, winning trophies regularly.

The fact they aren’t tells us it’s not the best league in the world, in terms of quality anyway.

You could make the argument that while the top end isn't the strongest, it does have more strength in depth than the likes of Spain and Italy. The quality of a league as a whole can't be judged solely by its best clubs.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely don’t need old Firm Colts in L2.
After watching the game last night between Annan Athletic and Celtic Colts. Annan won 4-0. Celtic Colts never came close to scoring.
This was the second year in a row Annan have beat Celtic Colts.

2 hours ago, marco44 said:

Definitely don’t need old Firm Colts in L2.
After watching the game last night between Annan Athletic and Celtic Colts. Annan won 4-0. Celtic Colts never came close to scoring.
This was the second year in a row Annan have beat Celtic Colts.

And it was also a heavy defeat if I remember correctly?