Old Firm Colts in L2

20 hours ago, true fan said:

Lower league teams need to find a topic to go on and on and on about and ram it down their throats every 2 months for 3 years or so

I have been fortunate to have read the 'Making Scottish Football Better' document and I can see why it has not been publicly released and why it is provided to clubs with short notice before looking for responses. Anyway, one of the key objectives is to create a "complete pathway" for players to "transition from Academy to 1st team". However, if people think that Rangers and Celtic are going to suddenly start promoting 21 year old players from a B team playing 3rd tier football into the first team they need to give their head a wobble. Therefore, if these two genuinely want to develop the standard of player in Scotland all of the bullet points need to be implemented at Premiership level. Start with these then some sort of discussion can be had about colt teams. 

On 30/06/2021 at 08:36, 7 Eleven said:

Lower league club owners need to start getting tough with this continuous nonsense and call Rangers bluff. I say Rangers because they seem to be the main protagonists of this. If this is genuinely about improving the national team then there needs to be a clear pathway into the first team once they are too old for the B team. For that to happen Rangers and Celtic need to make some concessions at first team level (or these concessions should be Premiership wide). This could include all or a combination of the following:

• Nationality rules (e.g., can’t have more than x foreign players in squad or on the pitch at any time).
  • locally/club-trained player rule (similar to above)
  • Squad size limits (e.g., 18 or 20 first team players over the age of 21)
  • Loan limits  & removal intra-league loans (which is basically a form of league doping when the player can play against every other team except their parent club)

Lastly, across all four divisions the feedback from individual clubs was that the majority were generally supportive of the proposals, so I am a bit confused as to why it seems to have flunked so miserably at the indicative vote phase, other than maybe tell them what they want just to get them off the phone 😄 

Lastly, across all four divisions the feedback from individual clubs was that the majority were generally supportive of the proposals, so I am a bit confused as to why it seems to have flunked so miserably at the indicative vote phase, other than maybe tell them what they want just to get them off the phone [emoji1] 
They were probably supportive of some aspects of it but not necessarily the whole thing. It also takes far more than a majority to vote this through, it would need 11 of 12 Premiership clubs in favour for example.

26 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
1 hour ago, 7 Eleven said:
Lastly, across all four divisions the feedback from individual clubs was that the majority were generally supportive of the proposals, so I am a bit confused as to why it seems to have flunked so miserably at the indicative vote phase, other than maybe tell them what they want just to get them off the phone emoji1.png 

They were probably supportive of some aspects of it but not necessarily the whole thing. It also takes far more than a majority to vote this through, it would need 11 of 12 Premiership clubs in favour for example.

You are absolutely right. There in lies the first problem. The proposal has three different objectives: better players, better finances and better opportunity for positive change. Each of these objectives could be achieved independently of each other, but are all lumped into the one plan. Remember this is getting driven by one club in particular and very much behind the backs of (lower league) supporters. 

Seemingly some big clubs in the UK have a 'he's too young' attitude' We wouldn't have seen Pele until he was 25 In this country. World Cup winner ?  Nothing beats seeing young/local kids being given a chance, come on academies, earn your bloody money  now.If the OF can't do it, give these kids a chance somewhere else.

On 13/07/2021 at 18:02, Andy groundhopper said:

Thankfully common sense prevails, now all they have to do is send the Colts out on loan to 2 or 3 clubs = different  outcome but they're getting game time. Now bury the idea for good, and dig it up 100  years time. 

its not and never has been about the development of young players and getting them gametime

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-celtic-urged-keep-pushing-24536122

Brian Rice insists Rangers and Celtic must keep pushing for colts sides to be incorporated in the SPFL - warning that clubs who voted against their inclusion this week have set the Scottish game back.

Twat 

30 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

So regardless of the fact that 99% of the lower league clubs supporters don't want Colt teams anywhere near their leagues, and continue to make this point crystal clear to their respective clubs, Brian Rice thinks the bullies should keep trying to bully their way in, until the "diddy clubs" cave in?

What a truly twisted take on the future of the Scottish game which goes against the wishes of almost all the supporters it actually would effect. I can only assume Rice was a boyhood fan of one of these two dreadful clubs, both of whom seem to hop right into bed with each other as part of a 'package' when they want to throw their weight around.

Get an agreement in place ASAP stating this shit cannot be brought up again for at least a decade...

Edited by Pete83

13 minutes ago, Pete83 said:

So regardless of the fact that 99% of the lower league clubs supporters don't want Colt teams anywhere near their leagues, and continue to make this point crystal clear to their respective clubs, Brian Rice thinks the bullies should keep trying to bully their way in, until the "diddy clubs" cave in?

What a truly twisted take on the future of the Scottish game which goes against the wishes of almost all the supporters it actually would effect. I can only assume Rice was a boyhood fan of one of these two dreadful clubs, both of whom seem to hop right into bed with each other as part of a 'package' when they want to throw their weight around.

Get an agreement in place ASAP stating this shit cannot be brought up again for at least a decade...

Quick Google search reveals his dad was a "big Celtic fan" so yeah. The story really is "Celtic fan (who happens to be a mediocre football manager who isn't beneath mouth-piecing for a club in his own league) is upset the club he supports didn't get their way".

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Used to like Brian Rice.

I think his view will be shared among a lot of managers and coaches. The only reason boards reject it is the size of the bribe hasn't outweighed what clubs might lose from other sources.

34 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think his view will be shared among a lot of managers and coaches. The only reason boards reject it is the size of the bribe hasn't outweighed what clubs might lose from other sources.

Something in that for sure. If there was a moral objection like that of the fans, clubs would have spoken out, rather than silence, or wishy washy pish like I got in reply from Falkirk when it first came up. 

Just now, Cowden Cowboy said:

Not true in many cases 

I didn't say it was.

My point is there'll be quite a few professional coaches who support the idea, especially higher up the divisions. In my experience they look at football very differently from supporters and won't have the same moral objections.

Directors will be more inclined to think of the bottom line than morality as well.

Really can't see, in my simple mind, how the reserves etc doesn't work. Play with and against old pro's, along with similar youngsters, when they're ready, into the 1st team. The youngsters had a go in the Lge Cup and didn't set the world alight, seems that it's just the OF who don't understand.Hope the idea is dead in the water now.

25 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I didn't say it was.

My point is there'll be quite a few professional coaches who support the idea, especially higher up the divisions. In my experience they look at football very differently from supporters and won't have the same moral objections.

Directors will be more inclined to think of the bottom line than morality as well.

Supporters have morals and directors don’t - what nonsense!

3 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Really can't see, in my simple mind, how the reserves etc doesn't work. Play with and against old pro's, along with similar youngsters, when they're ready, into the 1st team. The youngsters had a go in the Lge Cup and didn't set the world alight, seems that it's just the OF who don't understand.Hope the idea is dead in the water now.

Because there are no old pros and 1st team players willing to play reserve football any more.  That’s what happens when you have all those subs they then see themselves as first team players - they are certainly paid as such.  In the past when there was one or two subs reserve games were played on the same day as the 1st team clash

8 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Supporters have morals and directors don’t - what nonsense!

Are you just being contrary for the sake of it? It's an opinion I'm expressing an opinion based on my experience of the coaches and directors I know. I didn't say all. 

Eta. There's a director on here who is morally opposed, good for him.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson