Old Firm Colts in L2

23 hours ago, Pete83 said:

This is genuinely getting f*****g embarrassing and I don't know where to start with this latest pile of utter drivel. Clearly the Old Firm are desperate for this but it seems the authorities are trying to help them despite the strongest resistance from the fans of all other clubs.

I contacted Edinburgh City when this garbage came up last time and stated flat out I won't be watching the club if they consider this nonsense now or in future, and was a bit disappointed they didn't bother to reply, but I meant it.

If this goes through, Scottish Football can get in the sea...

Like yourself the last time this was being spoke about made my feelings clear to the club by e-mail, got a reply that correctly said the club had not been shown anything official at that time so could not really comment, as it turned out dont think it ever went to a vote as they knew they would have been beat. I did catch up with the chairman when up for my season ticket and made it clear if the club ever supported the idea i would no longer follow the club

I'm in the minority but I just don't care that much about them. If I had the sole decision I'd say no as a hate the OF but if it goes through then it goes through. It won't stop me from supporting my team that's for sure.

A lot of fans are hiding behind the "it's bullshit it improves scottish football" it might not but from everything I read the vibe I get is most folk think their teams are above playing colt teams and the OF hate which I get but let's have it for what it is.

After not being at the football for so long i am just looking forward to going back. I doubt I'd go to the colt away games but who knows, Saturdays can be boring. Would certainly be at the home games.

3 hours ago, Vimto90 said:

I'm in the minority but I just don't care that much about them. If I had the sole decision I'd say no as a hate the OF but if it goes through then it goes through. It won't stop me from supporting my team that's for sure.

A lot of fans are hiding behind the "it's bullshit it improves scottish football" it might not but from everything I read the vibe I get is most folk think their teams are above playing colt teams and the OF hate which I get but let's have it for what it is.

After not being at the football for so long i am just looking forward to going back. I doubt I'd go to the colt away games but who knows, Saturdays can be boring. Would certainly be at the home games.

^^^Exactly what they are banking on.

Cant remember if anyone has ever given a reasonable as to why a reserve league that any team could enter a B team was deemed not worthy of olf firm participation  playing full time hopefuls must have been a better test than part time no hopers.

Think the OF and other big clubs need to be asked why the reserve/youth/academy structure seems to fail every season. Because there are loads of fans watching non league, are many of these players good enough to step up to spfl championship/1 level ? Clubs can't be bothered to put in 5-6 years work on a youngster anymore, preferring to buy over-priced foreigners, who usually fail. Bin the colts.

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

40 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Only rebellious ones.

Correct many Scots were entirely happy with the sentiment expressed and weren’t rebellious  - a common mistake to think the issue was a Scotland v England thing

2 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Correct many Scots were entirely happy with the sentiment expressed and weren’t rebellious  - a common mistake to think the issue was a Scotland v England thing

Except the English thought it was.

2 hours ago, HenryHill said:

Love the way this thread has gone. Proper mess. So there is a bit in the English National Anthem about crushing Scots? So f**k? We sing about beating them 700 years ago.

It isn't the English national anthem, it's the British national anthem.

30 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Excuse my ignorance. How are they going to decide if the reconstruction is to go ahead or not then?

Going by what CC said I can only presume that the story was leaked to their pet poodle in the media, but nothing has actually been put forward to the clubs and SPFL.

36 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Excuse my ignorance. How are they going to decide if the reconstruction is to go ahead or not then?

There's meant to be indicative votes in by July 7th.

If there's not enough support it won't go to a proper vote and the OF go back to tinkering till we hear about it again in 6 months time. 

On 30/06/2021 at 08:36, 7 Eleven said:

Lower league club owners need to start getting tough with this continuous nonsense and call Rangers bluff. I say Rangers because they seem to be the main protagonists of this. If this is genuinely about improving the national team then there needs to be a clear pathway into the first team once they are too old for the B team. For that to happen Rangers and Celtic need to make some concessions at first team level (or these concessions should be Premiership wide). This could include all or a combination of the following:

• Nationality rules (e.g., can’t have more than x foreign players in squad or on the pitch at any time).
  • locally/club-trained player rule (similar to above)
  • Squad size limits (e.g., 18 or 20 first team players over the age of 21)
  • Loan limits  & removal intra-league loans (which is basically a form of league doping when the player can play against every other team except their parent club)

I am 100% certain that each and every one of the proposals would be rejected by Rangers and Celtic based on the belief that it would limit their ability to compete at European level. However, I’d cite Athletic Bilbao’ s (Europa League finalists 2012)  self-imposed Basque policy or Celtic’s very own Lisbon Lions as counter arguments to that.

The cynic in me can’t help but think that Rangers are pushing this as a way of stockpiling players and creating an additional revenue stream by selling players to the English Championship, and/or a way of Rangers having a ready-made  SFA/SPFL licence/membership if they were ever to go into liquidation again. Also, they would likely want to replace the B team in whatever league they were occupying at that time, opposed to starting at the bottom of the pyramid.

Finally, I believe that SPFL should be investing all of their time and effort into trying to make the Premier League more competitive rather than turning three engaging already competitive leagues into glorified development leagues. To further help two teams who have dominated the top tier for the last  36 years is nonsensical. Maybe focus on Premiership reconstruction and a redistribution of playing talent. This would require an increase in the number of clubs in the top division and a more balanced sharing of prize money, which are another two suggestions that I believe would be immediately shot down.  This all starts to ask the question as to who are the ones actually holding the Scottish game back?

An excellent post. 
The top division is the worst of the 4, with the gap between 2 and the rest far too big to call it a competitive league. 
Make sorting this out a priority so the game can thrive in this country. 
Leave the other 3 divisions alone. They do pretty well as they are, except the obvious flaw of having to play each other too many times.

Instead of allowing the 2 clubs to have a B team, therefore hoovering up even more young talent, make it the bottom club gets first pick at the elite youth academies, 2nd bottom next pick , and so on. It works in other countries for sports, only greed and narrow minds prevent it here.

Edited by big al