Old Firm Colts in L2

Th HL who have been a closed shop for years with no feeder leagues? 

How is it a closed shop? I’m aware of two teams being turned down membership, ICT Colts and Banks O Dee, they’ve accepted every other club that’s shown interest. They had no feeder leagues as there were no leagues interested in feeding them now the NCL, NRJFA and ML are interested the HL are in talks with them

31 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

How is it a closed shop? I’m aware of two teams being turned down membership, ICT Colts and Banks O Dee, they’ve accepted every other club that’s shown interest. They had no feeder leagues as there were no leagues interested in feeding them now the NCL, NRJFA and ML are interested the HL are in talks with them

You have just described a closed shop. They haven’t taken anyone in since 2009 as far as I am aware, despite Banks O Dee applying.

1 hour ago, Big Dougie said:

You have just described a closed shop. They haven’t taken anyone in since 2009 as far as I am aware, despite Banks O Dee applying.

Banks o' Dee were one of four teams that applied back in 2009 and weren't successful. The other three were. When they were asked a couple of years ago if they wanted to join, they declined.

The closed shop was the SFL which for decades refused to admit a team from the Highland area until the early 90s when Ross County and the Inverness franchise were admitted. Since then, the league has lost another three teams and admitted five, yet you say they're a closed shop. Clubs have always been able to apply at the AGM.

Edited by Cyclizine

19 hours ago, Marten said:
23 hours ago, Big Dougie said:
Th HL who have been a closed shop for years with no feeder leagues? 

They will have feeder leagues from next season.

and there was me thinking that another relegation was completely off the cards.  <_<

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

and there was me thinking that another relegation was completely off the cards.  <_<

Even with what happened to Brechin in the last few years, I think you will easily finish ahead of Fort William. ;) 

No I haven’t the Colts aren’t allowed in the HL and as someone above posted BoD were invited to apply again and declined, no other team has tried to join and this is the first of the leagues not attached trying to join which the HL have never blocked. It’s always been open to applicants and have stated they’d increase to 20 before forming a new division.

57 minutes ago, Marten said:

Even with what happened to Brechin in the last few years, I think you will easily finish ahead of Fort William. ;) 

You'd imagine so.  Random fun fact: Latitudinally, Fort William is only 6 miles further north than Brechin.

Whilst I'm at it: as the crow flies, Brechin is closer to Grantown than it is to Turriff, yet it would take an hour longer to drive to Grantown.

Eta: from kick-off spot to kick-off spot, Harlaw Park (which would be the closest HL away ground) is only 250 metres closer to Glebe Park than the latter is to New Bayview.  More randomly, Glebe Park to Brora's Dudgeon Park is a greater straight-line distance than Glebe Park to the Buzzard oil field.  P&B truly is a treasure trove of information.

Edited by Hedgecutter

5 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

BOD were turned down in favour of the other three sides, they weren’t turned down on their own. They’ve not applied since, but won’t do so without being asked and the SHFL won’t ask.

IIRC it’s still unconfirmed if ICT Colts ever actually formally applied. It’s rumoured they did, but the league is openly against the idea. 

The SHFL is in no position to turn down a club that is eligible to be in it, in terms of licence, as the league isn’t full at the moment. Anyone asking would get in, I believe. 

4 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Banks o' Dee were one of four teams that applied back in 2009 and weren't successful. The other three were. When they were asked a couple of years ago if they wanted to join, they declined.

The closed shop was the SFL which for decades refused to admit a team from the Highland area until the early 90s when Ross County and the Inverness franchise were admitted. Since then, the league has lost another three teams and admitted five, yet you say they're a closed shop. Clubs have always been able to apply at the AGM.

Are you guys not just arguing over what type of 'closed' the shop was? Both the SFL and Highland League were closed shops.

Tbf, only 3 other clubs in the Highland League catchment area are even eligible to be in tier 5.

BoD: enough has already been said.

Golspie Sutherland: Not interest/big/good enough and only recently got planning for lights, which I think has always been a special requirement for the Highland League

Aberdeen Uni: well...

2 hours ago, Spyro said:

Tbf, only 3 other clubs in the Highland League catchment area are even eligible to be in tier 5.

BoD: enough has already been said.

Golspie Sutherland: Not interest/big/good enough and only recently got planning for lights, which I think has always been a special requirement for the Highland League

Aberdeen Uni: well...

Golspie have had lights for 6 months. No idea why you mentioned Aberdeen Uni as they aren't licensed (nor do they play in what will be tier 6). Montrose Roselea have a licensed ground but probably don't want to go up. Think Dyce have floodlight plans after joining the Aberdeenshire FA to play in their U20s league.

My point is that nobody (apart from BoD) have really been in a position to be “promoted” to the Highland League over the last few years. Therefore you can’t really call it a “closed shop”.

I thought Aberdeen Uni had a historic license, similar to Golspie, but that obviously isn’t the case any longer

Are you guys not just arguing over what type of 'closed' the shop was? Both the SFL and Highland League were closed shops.

It can't really be called a closed shop if clubs were (and still are) able to apply and join.

36 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It can't really be called a closed shop if clubs were (and still are) able to apply and join.

Depends on your definition. If there's minimum criteria set and any club who meet that can join then I'd say it isn't a closed shop. Hypothetically, if 10 junior clubs who all met any criteria that any HL club would had applied say 10 years ago, they could and probably would have been rejected. For me that's a closed shop, at least to some extent.

3 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Depends on your definition. If there's minimum criteria set and any club who meet that can join then I'd say it isn't a closed shop. Hypothetically, if 10 junior clubs who all met any criteria that any HL club would had applied say 10 years ago, they could and probably would have been rejected. For me that's a closed shop, at least to some extent.

If that had happened you more likely would have seen the creation of a Highland Second Division. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

What a surprise, never seen that coming eh?

Great that the LL gave them oxygen, shame on the Boards of clubs who supported this😡😡

Aye their poodles on the Lowland League committee kept it going, hopefully the lower league chairmen tell them where to go again.