Old Firm Colts in L2

Can't work out the following : ALL spfl clubs have youth, academy, reserve set ups etc - to develop and bring on player's towards the 1st team. Why can't the OF do their coaching against similar sides/players ? Why aren't these games good enough ?  Do they want to see the colts progress through the spfl (can't have them in the same Lge/divisions anyway)  I'm led to believe.  Just vote NO 👎

3 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Can't work out the following : ALL spfl clubs have youth, academy, reserve set ups etc - to develop and bring on player's towards the 1st team. Why can't the OF do their coaching against similar sides/players ? Why aren't these games good enough ?  Do they want to see the colts progress through the spfl (can't have them in the same Lge/divisions anyway)  I'm led to believe.  Just vote NO 👎

Yeah, we had a reserve league which Rangers etc didn’t like so it was changed to a development league.

Rangers etc didn’t like that so it went back to a reserve league.

Rangers etc wouldn’t play senior players in that league so withdrew their teams.

I don’t understand where Rangers players like Greg Stewart for example get game time, wouldn’t it be better for Rangers etc to put some effort into a reserve league and play youngsters with senior players like they did in the old days ?

2 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

wouldn’t it be better for Rangers etc to put some effort into a reserve league and play youngsters with senior players like they did in the old days ?

Aye, it would be, if they (and the Ibrox side appears to be the main driver to this nonsense) were actually suggesting this for unselfish Scottish player development reasons.

But it's because they want a back up presence in the Scottish system in case their top side gets an opportunity to fuck off elsewhere.

This "wanting to have a back-up" argument has never held any water with me. If they were to leave to some European League or Atlantic League or something along those lines, and wanted to keep a team in Scottish football then they would simply use the place that their first team currently holds.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This "wanting to have a back-up" argument has never held any water with me. If they were to leave to some European League or Atlantic League or something along those lines, and wanted to keep a team in Scottish football then they would simply use the place that their first team currently holds.

Definition of leave?

20 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Definition of leave?

Atlantic League means Atlantic League!

Seriously though, I agree. This is for reasons of complete domination of the entire game in Scotland. Hoarding players and eliminating ever more chance of real competition. 

On 06/05/2021 at 09:38, The Moonster said:

Which of the arse cheeks are George Frasers big team?

He runs the team that has to move 30 miles away to play in front of family and friends as they haven't managed to find a home ground.  

If the Old Firm put their efforts behind a reserve league that played at their home ground at 3pm on a Saturday with no TV coverage and allowed season ticket holders in, they'd get 10,000 plus at home games no problem. And they might get themselves a competitive league that would tick loadsa boxes.

20 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
21 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:
He runs the team that has to move 30 miles away to play in front of family and friends as they haven't managed to find a home ground.  

So... Clyde?

In my clumsy way, I was suggesting Fraser concentrate on sorting his own club's issues out first and that, if he had, BSC could be building be something solid back where the B in BSC is.

As an aside, plenty of club bosses get themselves into a lather over a chance to pander to the Old Firm.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

In my clumsy way, I was suggesting Fraser concentrate on sorting his own club's issues out first and that, if he had, BSC could be building be something solid back where the B in BSC is.

As an aside, plenty of club bosses get themselves into a lather over a chance to pander to the Old Firm.

Being chairman of the Lowland league and MD of BSC are two complete different entities. He has a job to do as chairman of the Lowland league and is trying.

As far as I'm aware the clubs have to vote to see if they will let the Colts teams in or not for One Season only, brining in money for the association.  So the association clubs are the ones who will decide, I don't get all the moaning.  If the clubs say no then the colts don't get in, if the clubs say yes then they get in and LL receives money, badly needed money.  Its not rocket science and it isn't going to make a difference right now because no WOSFL, SOSFL or ESOFL team are going to the LL anyway as all leagues ended up null and void this season.

23 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

If the Old Firm put their efforts behind a reserve league that played at their home ground at 3pm on a Saturday with no TV coverage and allowed season ticket holders in, they'd get 10,000 plus at home games no problem. And they might get themselves a competitive league that would tick loadsa boxes.

they’d never get 10000 fans for reserve matches.  I know fans used to attend reserve games in decent numbers,  but that’s just not going to happen when you can watch games on tv every night and most of the weekend.  The market for reserve football is tiny.  

31 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Being chairman of the Lowland league and MD of BSC are two complete different entities. He has a job to do as chairman of the Lowland league and is trying.

As far as I'm aware the clubs have to vote to see if they will let the Colts teams in or not for One Season only, brining in money for the association.  So the association clubs are the ones who will decide, I don't get all the moaning.  If the clubs say no then the colts don't get in, if the clubs say yes then they get in and LL receives money, badly needed money.  Its not rocket science and it isn't going to make a difference right now because no WOSFL, SOSFL or ESOFL team are going to the LL anyway as all leagues ended up null and void this season.

Very few people are buying the one year idea.

a) A one year pilot will prove nothing.

b) It will be a foothold to establish the principle of inclusion of reserves.

c) The clubs hoping to enter the league aren't doing it for the betterment of anyone but themselves. Including other reasons is window dressing.

d) It's Rangers and Celtic and I fucking hate them.

56 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Its not rocket science and it isn't going to make a difference right now because no WOSFL, SOSFL or ESOFL team are going to the LL anyway as all leagues ended up null and void this season.

What a shame that the Lowland League have had no experience of expanding through application :whistle

Maybe if Edusport Academy threw some money at the LL Board back in the day. They could have gotten in at the first attempt instead of trying and failing for 3 years before getting promoted on the pitch.

If this does go through it's important that the rest of Scottish football treat BSC Glasgow as the pariahs that they are. It's unfortunate that Alloa are probably pro-colts, because it would be good to see them scrambling around trying to find a ground to play in when they've sold 80-90% of the clubs in the pyramid down the river.

Just now, craigkillie said:

If this does go through it's important that the rest of Scottish football treat BSC Glasgow as the pariahs that they are. It's unfortunate that Alloa are probably pro-colts, because it would be good to see them scrambling around trying to find a ground to play in when they've sold 80-90% of the clubs in the pyramid down the river.

Like a cold dagger through the heart.

You're probably not wrong. Mulraney's involvement with the SPFL/SFA and the general reluctance to adopt a public stance leads one to believe that we'd probably vote in favour if offered enough of a bung. I'm not the only one who wouldn't give the club another penny, however, so I hope they've done their sums.