Old Firm Colts in L2

15 minutes ago, EpicMike said:

The SFA and SPFL think they can grease teams up at the moment by offering them a financial package when money is tight so they brought the idea back.

They're doing nothing of the sort. This proposal is being pushed by two teams.

21 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Even though it was reported yesterday that the SPFL2 Play-off would remain the same, it only seems to have twigged today. So the LL catch up crew have changed their tune a little to get into the sea, let's see if fan pressure kills it off.

With 16 teams and no automatic relegation and only one automatic promotion place, I don't see the argument for player development in the division they're proposing. There would be a lot of meaningless games, which isn't really any better than colts v colts in terms of developing youngsters.

30 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

They're doing nothing of the sort. This proposal is being pushed by two teams.

Those two teams can't ask clubs to vote for it, the SPFL can. Them and the SFA have wanted this change for ages.

19 minutes ago, EpicMike said:

Those two teams can't ask clubs to vote for it, the SPFL can. 

You've missed the point, somewhat.

As far as I know...

If clubs go to the SPFL board with a proposal, the SPFL board are duty bound to then ask other clubs if they would have any interest in putting it to a vote. If enough clubs agree it then goes to an official vote.

Every time Rangers/Celtic approach the SPFL board to do this, they have to go around every club to see if there's enough interest for a vote. This is the stage we're at, while the OF clubs go straight to the papers to try and create a narrative that clubs are all desperate for it to go through, clearly trying to influence others into agreeing to hold a vote.

It's literally always killed at this stage, it goes quiet, then 2 years later they try again with the exact same proposal, get the media whipped into a frenzy, then the clubs reject it. 

Repeat forever.

It's not in the power of the SPFL board to reject proposals without consulting the clubs.

28 minutes ago, EpicMike said:

Those two teams can't ask clubs to vote for it, the SPFL can. Them and the SFA have wanted this change for ages.

Who makes up the SPFL?

Why are you suggesting that the SPFL is somehow independent of the clubs and is pushing this through? 

And what do the SFA have to do with it?!

Shame this nonsense continues, can't be workable coz the Colts teams wouldn't be allowed in the same division as the OF.  (SFA/spfl rules ?)  They're using the current climate to try and buy their way in , hopefully clubs won't fall for that. I am ringing my solicitor to demand entry for a women's team, should please the PC gang.

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Who makes up the SPFL?

Why are you suggesting that the SPFL is somehow independent of the clubs and is pushing this through? 

And what do the SFA have to do with it?!

I'll be more specific, the SPFL board which oversees the SPFL have their own view of how the Scottish league system should be run. The SPFL isn't just the chairmen of the 42 clubs getting together and deciding what do, there's a power structure that oversees the league system with at least 3 members not affiliated with any club. Remember the vote to end the league early last season? The clubs ultimately had the final say in terms of a vote, but it was very clear what Neil Doncaster wanted the clubs to do.

The SFA have wanted Colt teams in the league set up for years. They have no say in the matter, but they really, really want it and have been in talks with the SPFL.

2 hours ago, Oldster said:

I confess to not having followed all the detail over the years, but I'd thought the SPFL formed due to a darth of money in the SFL - second tier clubs struggling to stay full time, other clubs struggling to play nationwide. So that's where I'm coming from about funding coming down from the bigger clubs.

Think that's when the regionalisation trope originated. Talk at the time was of 12+12 with a funky split then regionalised below that.

But there were many issues to be resolved at all their meetings and cherry picking wasn't allowed.

(Except that it was. Because they dumped the big one. League restructuring.)

44 minutes ago, EpicMike said:

I'll be more specific, the SPFL board which oversees the SPFL have their own view of how the Scottish league system should be run. The SPFL isn't just the chairmen of the 42 clubs getting together and deciding what do, there's a power structure that oversees the league system with at least 3 members not affiliated with any club. Remember the vote to end the league early last season? The clubs ultimately had the final say in terms of a vote, but it was very clear what Neil Doncaster wanted the clubs to do.

The SFA have wanted Colt teams in the league set up for years. They have no say in the matter, but they really, really want it and have been in talks with the SPFL.

Why would the SPFL want it? Why would it make a difference to them?

Why do the SFA want it? Why would it make a difference to them?

When did these talks happen? How do you know?

Remember the vote to end the league early last year? It was the clubs who voted on that.

The SFA seem to want player development centred around the big clubs. I'm not quite cynical enough to say that they're in thrall of the usual suspects, but they're possibly glaikit enough to believe that this is genuinely the way to improve the standard of Scotland's players.

The SPFL board just follows the money. The money is Celtgers. Celtgers want something, so we must keep them happy and improve business for them so they can make even more money. Who doesn't want money? Celtgers makey money for diddies. Good Celtgers.

Thankfully the figures don't add up. It's like if someone offered you half your current salary never to work again, on the proviso that they can use your rug as a toilet. And it really tied the room together.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Remember the vote to end the league early last year? It was the clubs who voted on that.

Wasn't it the SPFL Competition Committee that forced the inclusion of Premiership 'colts' into the Challenge Cup? They seem to think there's some benefit in 2nd XIs playing against lower division first teams.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

No idea exactly, I have a few guesses though.

They believe it will help develop young Scottish players. They've been backing the idea ever since Project Brave.

Whenever this is being considered, the SPFL and SFA meet each other for talks. I was wrong earlier, the SFA do have to approve the change.

Yes, my point is it was very clear which way the SPFL wanted the clubs to vote. The SPFL board doesn't merely exist to facilitate the voting, they have a direction they would like the clubs to follow.

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

I've just e-mailed this to Motherwell. I can't see this abomination of an idea gaining the number of votes required to pass, but don't want to leave anything to chance. Feel free to copy/paste/modify and send to your own club.

Hi there,

I'm writing about the ongoing proposal to expand SPFL League Two, specifically with the introduction of Colt teams, and Motherwell's stance on this.

Quite simply, this is possibly the worst idea I've ever heard presented in Scottish football, and that's saying something.

Celtic and Rangers are the epitome of everything wrong with Scottish football. These two clubs have destroyed any iota of competition in our game with their financial duopoly.

To improve the status quo in Scottish football, we need to reduce the gap between these two clubs and the rest of us. This proposal will do the exact opposite, using the lower leagues to strengthen and develop their youth players.

It is also extremely insulting to fans of clubs in League Two to suggest their clubs should be used as training fodder for Celtic and Rangers.

I'm not aware of Motherwell's stance on this, but I would hope we would see sense and see this idea for what it is - an abomination.

We did the right thing in 2012, when the equally absurd notion of the new Rangers being parachuted into the top flight was floated - leaving it up to the fans. Quite rightly, that notion was treated with the contempt it deserved. This deserves the exact same treatment.

I've been a Motherwell fan for as long as I can remember, going to home and away games regularly for over 20 years, but if we vote in favour of this proposal - irrespective of whether it gains enough support to pass - I will have no intention of stepping foot in Fir Park again. I don't want it to come to this, but at that point I could no longer associate with a club championing the polar opposite of what I believe is right for Scottish football.

This is not in any way supposed to come across as blackmail, but merely an attempt to convey my opinion and that of a lot of football fans. Obviously, I can't speak for every Scottish football fan, but a quick look on some of the most popular forums will show you a groundswell of opinion vehemently opposed to this absurd notion.

I remain optimistic that as a fan-owned club we will do the right thing again and do our bit to get this ridiculous notion in the sea where it belongs.

Thanks for your time.

1 hour ago, EpicMike said:

No idea exactly, I have a few guesses though.

They believe it will help develop young Scottish players. They've been backing the idea ever since Project Brave.

Whenever this is being considered, the SPFL and SFA meet each other for talks. I was wrong earlier, the SFA do have to approve the change.

Yes, my point is it was very clear which way the SPFL wanted the clubs to vote. The SPFL board doesn't merely exist to facilitate the voting, they have a direction they would like the clubs to follow.

What are your guesses?

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What are your guesses?

Off the top of my head, they like the idea of the Old Firm pumping more money in to the league system and feel it might raise the profile of league 2.

Personally I hope the idea gets scrapped and we never hear about it again but there's enough support for it that it will probably keep popping up.

12 minutes ago, EpicMike said:

Off the top of my head, they like the idea of the Old Firm pumping more money in to the league system and feel it might raise the profile of league 2.

Personally I hope the idea gets scrapped and we never hear about it again but there's enough support for it that it will probably keep popping up.

As pointed out a while ago, the proposal doesn't even include any money being paid out by Celtgers; it's supposed to be funded by a reduction in prize money for the top two places in the Premiership over five years.

The fact that it's just assumed by all concerned that Celtgers are guaranteed to be first and second in the Premiership for the foreseeable future demonstrates what a pathetic excuse for a competition our top division is, and tells you everything about how the game's administrators view our future.

Just think, Rangers might still be in the UEFA Cup if only their u21 players had been given the chance to put a couple of dodgy penalties past Edinburgh City in League 2 this season.... 😂

I remembered that the Scottish Women's League used to have the equivalent of Colts teams in their League. They got them in the sea 2 years ago.

It’s actually time the 40 clubs took back control of our leagues from the 2 clubs. Yes they’re the biggest clubs with the most support but a league system is meant to be run for all the clubs not just two. It pretty embarrassing that the SFA and SPFL bend over to accommodate two clubs who are fueled by bigotry and everything revolves around giving Sky their 4 bigotfests a season for the pittance they pay which mostly goes to those two clubs. Step one should definitely be to tell them to get this idea into the sea. It angers me our Chairmen were so short sighted in handing over the power when the SPL was formed, everyone of them happy to take the scraps as long as it locked out the smaller teams greed by a few clubs destroyed our league.