Old Firm Colts in L2

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Maybe we could rebrand every team in Scotland as Rangers or Celtic.

Aberdeen Celtic v Cove Rangers

Dundee Celtic v Dundee Rangers

The local OF fans would pack the grounds every week and the main teams would have the pick of around 500 players each.

That Cove Rangers idea could work!  

Get them wearing blue shirts and buy their way up the leagues!

Could be just like 2012, 2013 all over again!

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Maybe we could rebrand every team in Scotland as Rangers or Celtic.

Aberdeen Celtic v Cove Rangers

Dundee Celtic v Dundee Rangers

East Strlingshire Celtic v Stenhousemuir Rangers

The local OF fans would pack the grounds every week and the main teams would have the pick of around 500 players each.

For the lesser lights franchising East of Scotland teams could work:

Kennoway Star Clyde v Thornton Airdriedonians

Arniston Edinburgh City v Tweedmouth Cowdenbeath

5 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Funnily enough I’d argue the decline in our National team and player pool has coincided with the duopoly domination of our league from around the 90s. Funnily I’ve never heard a peep out of Ibrox or Celtic Park with a plan to increase the competitiveness of our league to help produce better players for Scotland.

I think the abolition of the three foreigners rule for UEFA competitions in 1995 also played a part. Until then Rangers and Celtic had to develop Scottish youngsters and these players were regularly competing in the Champions League/UEFA Cup.

Once that was abolished they stuffed their team with foreign players and development of Scottish youngsters took a back seat. 

Why bother with developing youngsters when you can sign the likes of Rafael Scheit or Daniel Prodan?

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

Just Googling this at the moment, and it looks like UEFA and FIFA frown upon clubs having the same owner in domestic competitions, but can't actually do anything about it. It seems to have been considered OK in Spain fairly recently.

The SFA's Articles of Association forbid dual club ownership "without the prior written consent of the Board", which is a bit of a worrying loophole, but whatever. It's Article 13.1, if anyone's interested. If you break the rules, you can get fined up to...£10,000. Woo.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/1819/articles-of-association.pdf

5 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Maybe we should delete the posts in case it gives them ideas..........

I'm pretty sure the Articles of Association of the SPFL prohibit anyone from having a controlling interest in more than one member club.

https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/SPFL Articles of Association of 21-Dec-20 (MASTER COPY) CLEAN.pdf 

Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 00.58.01.png

12 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Norway also have colts and haven't qualified for anything since 2000. 

People who cite the Netherlands, Spain etc. are missing the point.  They have a different ethos to us and after the second tier (in both countries) the standard falls off a cliff.  In the summer of 2019, I saw Dutch third tier side Scheveningen struggle to get past North Kessock Hotel FC from the Inverness District League.  

But how many OF colt players did they have?

15 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

Hate the whole “these countries have Colt teams in their league and are successful” argument it’s so simplistic and fails to highlight the real reason these countries are successful which is far more than Colt teams. Wales and Ireland have shite leagues let alone Colt teams but are doing better than us in recent years.

Funnily enough I’d argue the decline in our National team and player pool has coincided with the duopoly domination of our league from around the 90s. Funnily I’ve never heard a peep out of Ibrox or Celtic Park with a plan to increase the competitiveness of our league to help produce better players for Scotland.

Neither gives a shit about the National team and would probably withdraw their players if they could.

Yup, completely agree. There are so many things that need to change. 'Colt' teams don't come close to addressing the issues.

15 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Yep.  We're also not trying to be Spain or Portugal, we're trying to be Iceland.  If we look at similar/smaller sized countries who've qualified since 1998, the Icelandic league doesn't have colts.  Wales don't have colts.  Ireland don't have colts.  Northern Ireland don't have colts.  I don't think Denmark or Finland do either.  As mentioned earlier, Croatia have colts and it's barely made any difference to their national team and the aforementioned Norway have colts in their leagues and haven't qualified in two decades. 

It's almost like it doesn't make any difference.

Iceland is a great model to aspire to, and a relatively simple one as well.

They basically massively upped their facilities, including indoor ones in most towns and pretty much every school having a pitch of sorts. 

They encouraged participation from everyone, and facilitated it. They didn't stop kids from playing for local teams and school teams at the same time.

This was hugely successful.

They massively increased the number of coaches, but crucially ones qualified to a high standard. They had structured coaching that got players more touches of the ball and worked on technique

They also had a standardised model of playing throughout all their levels of the national team.

Facilities and coaches are key. We are so laughably behind in these areas, among all others. 'Colt' teams would address approximately zero of these issues.

14 hours ago, BFTD said:

Just Googling this at the moment, and it looks like UEFA and FIFA frown upon clubs having the same owner in domestic competitions, but can't actually do anything about it. It seems to have been considered OK in Spain fairly recently.

The SFA's Articles of Association forbid dual club ownership "without the prior written consent of the Board", which is a bit of a worrying loophole, but whatever. It's Article 13.1, if anyone's interested. If you break the rules, you can get fined up to...£10,000. Woo.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/1819/articles-of-association.pdf

Colt teams wouldn't be a new club with the same owner so this is a red herring. There are already three senior clubs with a second team in the pyramid rather than a reserve or youth league, i.e. Stranraer, Stirling Uni and Caledonian Braves. Nairn County's U-20 team entered the North Caley league this season and may soon provide another example.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Colt teams wouldn't be a new club with the same owner so this is a red herring. There are already three senior clubs with a second team in the pyramid rather than a reserve or youth league, i.e. Stranraer, Stirling Uni and Caledonian Braves. Nairn County's U-20 team entered the North Caley league this season and may soon provide another example.

That's not what was being talked about. The question being asked was what's to stop the OF just buying another club and running it for their own benefit rather than trying to push the colt idea.

If memory serves, the working group had agreed a couple of years back that tier 5 was the right level for colts to be entering the pyramid. So maybe they should stick with that and have a colts league in parallel with the HL and LL, the winners of these three tier 5 leagues entering the pyramid playoffs with the bottom SPFL team.

I think it unlikely they would win through those playoffs, but at least that way the colts would have earned their place in the SPFL, would have a division to be relegated back to, would have a real goal during the season to focus their performances, and the top clubs who keep the rest of the SPFL commercially financially afloat would see some value for their input.

4 minutes ago, Oldster said:

If memory serves, the working group had agreed a couple of years back that tier 5 was the right level for colts to be entering the pyramid. So maybe they should stick with that and have a colts league in parallel with the HL and LL, the winners of these three tier 5 leagues entering the pyramid playoffs with the bottom SPFL team.

I think it unlikely they would win through those playoffs, but at least that way the colts would have earned their place in the SPFL, would have a division to be relegated back to, would have a real goal during the season to focus their performances, and the top clubs who keep the rest of the SPFL commercially financially afloat would see some value for their input.

Just tell them to fūck off. No entry at any level.

7 minutes ago, Oldster said:

Naw, they can just f**k off.

The SPFL owing Celtgers for the money they've drained out of the game; Jesus wept.

I could see how Colt teams would have an even bigger effect on club's finances than already mentioned -  at present if one of us "diddies" draws either of the OF in the cup at home, or indeed away, they stand to make a good profit.  If fans have been forced to put up with Colts in the league, it could well be when big brother comes calling fans just say "not them again - I won't bother"...

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Disappointing lack of an unambiguous "get this shite to f**k, now and forever".

I'm pretty certain that is what they mean.  But as they haven't even seen what is being proposed - or even told officially anything IS proposed it would be irresponsible for a club to say as much... yet.

On 17/03/2021 at 13:12, HibsFan said:

I just fucking hate it.

Why are they allowed to keep coming back with a 'new' proposal whenever they fancy?

Can't we have some sort of finality in this? It gets punted to f**k every two years or so and then they just come back again with a just as shit plan.

Why is this the way that things 'have' to be?

The SFA and SPFL think they can grease teams up at the moment by offering them a financial package when money is tight so they brought the idea back.

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

Naw, they can just f**k off.

The SPFL owing Celtgers for the money they've drained out of the game; Jesus wept.

I confess to not having followed all the detail over the years, but I'd thought the SPFL formed due to a darth of money in the SFL - second tier clubs struggling to stay full time, other clubs struggling to play nationwide. So that's where I'm coming from about funding coming down from the bigger clubs.