Old Firm Colts in L2

21 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

I totally support colt teams playing in League Two. 

It is not showing disrespect to the lower leagues to want the Old Firm to have colt teams in League Twp. 

Most Scottish League Two sides are happy to play the colt teams of foreign sides in testimonials, friendlies. Most League Two sides are happy to even play the second string sides of Celtic and Rangers in friendlies or in the cup. 

IT IS NOT SHOWING A LACK OF RESPECT TO ;LEAGUE TWO SIDES FOR THEM TO PLAY THE RANGERS OF CELTIC COLT SIDES. IT IS A MASSIVE SIGN OF RESPECT. 

It is a compliment. It shows the clubs that the bigger clubs respect them enough for them to be the perfect breeding grounds for developing young players. 

They do this in Croatia, Germany, Spain, France,. Belgium, Portugal, the Netherlands. Scotland even had a Division C in the olden day where proper sides played b sides. 

Croatia develop great players because of this system. 

Why is it suddenly showing a lack of respect for colt sides to play League Two sides? It is a compliment. It will increase interest in the lower leagues. 

We should do everything we can to ensure young players at all clubs develop while taking into account that most sides want experienced players in their first team. This will be the perfect way to develop young Scottish players. 

League Two sides are happy to loan Old Firm young players but suddenly it is the greatest insults in history to play a team of Old Firm youth players. HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? 

I do not see how a part time team finishing 2 places higher in the League Two is more important an issue than Scotland developing great international players? 

I love all Scottish soccer sides, including the part time sides. I want a strong League Two, with strong sides, but the national team is the priority for me. We should do everything we can to create a system which encourages big clubs to develop great players. 

Before someone says why don't Celtic and Rangers just stick all their youth players in their first team. Well nobody does that if they want their club to do well. All clubs pack their squads with experienced often non-Scottish players,. It is not realistic to expect any full time team to just send out an entire team of youth players,. 

We need a system where all the top sides can continue to have experienced often foreign players in their first team but can still develop young Scottish players. 

What gets on my nerves is people who say it is an insult to play b sides yet are happy to have b side players loaned to them. 

What gets on my nerves is people who would rather their part time side finishes two places higher in the league than the Scottish team develop great players. 

What really gets on my nerves is people who want to chuck out all the part time team from the SPFL, then the next next minute claim it is an insult for those teams to play against B sides, 

I love all SPFL sides, I want them all to exist, and perform to their max ability. But the national team is the priority, . 

Rangers have over thirty players out on loan right now.

So it clearly is possible.

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

If you're talking about their EoSFL team they folded after the 2013-14 season. The pyramid started in 2014-15.

OK, Stirling uni, Caledonian Braves, Stranraer all currently have reserve/colt sides in the league 

10 minutes ago, edinabear said:

OK, Stirling uni, Caledonian Braves, Stranraer all currently have reserve/colt sides in the league 

Stirling University only kept there place as they never resigned from the EoSFL after joining the Lowland League. The last club to apply to enter a 2nd XI to the EoSFL were rejected.

Stranraer and Caledonian Braves only play in the SoSFL and can't be promoted with nowhere to be relegated. They also don't play in any inter-league cups like the Colts do in the SPFL Challenge Cup. Does that really count as being in the pyramid?

I am totally against this but at the moment we are only talking about the bigot sisters. Okay let them in and we expand the league.  Next season Hearts and Hibs decide they want some of this, what happens?  Then the following year Aberdeen and Dundee United decide to join what happens then?

This has been a bad year for lower league football, letting the OF join would totally kill the game perhaps that is what they want.

Someone has said that Rangers have 30 players out on loan at the moment. Surely that cannot be the case but if it is then it is time to limit how many players these clowns can sign.

This better not get the go ahead. It's a piece of nonsense that is designed to give Celtic and Rangers an even bigger stranglehold on the whole of the Scottish game.

It's not enough that in the Premiership it's a two horse race with the other 10 making up the numbers, oh no, they need to ruin the bottom end of the game so they can stockpile youngsters that might have a slim chance of making it one day.

One of the main selling points for me going along to Meadowbank/Ainslie Park to watch Edinburgh City was that it was lower league football without the pair of them anywhere near it. Get this in the ocean where it belongs, otherwise, the appeal will be significantly reduced.

According to a tweet from Stuart Brown Chairman of Stirling Albion re these articles in paper re the Old Firm Colts in League 2 NO proposal to vote on this subject has been put in front of the Clubs. Clearly the Daily Ranger making up stories again.

Even if the Colts proposal doesn't succeed, some form of reconstruction has to happen for L2 the current set-up of the bottom team not being automatically relegated rewards failure, L2 & some L1 teams are happy with mediocracy, the lower leagues need refreshed one way or the other and now is an ideal time to do so. They at least need to change to the set-up of L1 & L2 10th automatically relegated and 9th in the play-off.

Can see this being voted through though as the power the OF have over the SPFL seems to be growing by the year especially now Rangers have won the league and the extra income that comes with it, they are both more powerful than ever with the smaller clubs seriously struggling after receiving very little in the way of income other than Gov grants over the last year.

15 minutes ago, rhliston said:

According to a tweet from Stuart Brown Chairman of Stirling Albion re these articles in paper re the Old Firm Colts in League 2 NO proposal to vote on this subject has been put in front of the Clubs. Clearly the Daily Ranger making up stories again.

Don't start me about him!

Why don’t we just put a Celtic and Rangers team in every division then they can ruin every level of the game with their shite.

1 club, 1 team from SPFL Premiership right down to the very bottom. Stranraer Reserves, Caledonian Braves Reserves and Stirling Uni Reserves can get to f**k too.

40 minutes ago, rhliston said:

Thats what happened the last time as well, papers got everyone wound up about it & when i challenged our chairman on how the club would be voting before buying my season ticket he told me there was no intention of a vote at the time but did not see any benefit to the club but he would be disappointed if i would leave following the club over it but understood my feelings. Hopefully this will die the death again never to rear its head again.

3 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Thats what happened the last time as well, papers got everyone wound up about it & when i challenged our chairman on how the club would be voting before buying my season ticket he told me there was no intention of a vote at the time but did not see any benefit to the club but he would be disappointed if i would leave following the club over it but understood my feelings. Hopefully this will die the death again never to rear its head again.

It'll never die a death. And It'll continue to be bullshit conjured up on a slow news day like it has been the last umpteen times 

TBF any club can put a proposal to the SPFL Board to be put to a vote/rejected. Its only the OF who go the papers about it.
There should be a way to suspend certain proposals for ~5 years if its rejected by clubs. 
Once in a generation, perhaps...

If this ever passes, the conversation is effectively this.

Rangers and Celtic:

"We have more money than everyone else, but we feel we have hit a glass ceiling in terms of how we can further use said money to ensure no one in Scottish can compete with us. Find a way to change yourself for us Scottish football"

Scottish football:

"Ok"

The fact that conversation is even happening repeatedly and nakedly for the benefit of two clubs is European footballs biggest minter. Even worse than the bullshit Champions League proposals

At the risk of seeming a troll.

Not in favour of colts in the league, but it's not a red line for me because I honestly don't know if it would improve players for the national team. And I'm excited at the prospect of league expansion, to bring through new  Lowland and Highland clubs into the national league, which I previously hadn't thought was affordable to the SPFL.

I thInk that distributing £3m over five years is not enough, and worry about what happens to League Two after that when the beeb article suggests that the working group will be looking at restructuring again in the future.

I realise that the Old Firm do bring in much of the commercial revenue to Scottish football, and certainly Ann Budge in the past has talked of downsizing the SPFL.

Maybe the OF see B teams as them attaining value for the money they contribute, which enables clubs to play nationwide who otherwise would not be able to do so.

The increase in loans of youngsters between clubs sounds like a positive step, and I wonder if that would be a better starting point for player development than inserting B teams into the league.

Sorry if that's a bit de'il's advocate. Still working through it all in me noggin.

On 16/03/2021 at 15:43, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

I love all SPFL sides, I want them all to exist, and perform to their max ability. But the national team is the priority, . 

If I had the choice of the lower leagues having colts and Scotland qualifying for the next ten World Cups or not including the colts and Scotland never qualifying for anything again - I'd unquestionably pick the latter. 

Hearing Celtic and Rangers aren’t actually funding this, the money will be paid from the top two prize pot for the next 5 years. Pretty arrogant to presume they’ll be top two for the next 5 years. Will this mean it’ll require a 11-1 vote to go through? If so their own duopoly voting system could backfire on them if say Hamilton and Ross Country don’t play ball.