Old Firm Colts in L2

John Collins is either being dishonest about what this is really about or he is monumentally thick.

I actually think he is thick enough to believe that the real reason for this is to benefit the Scotland side.

The fact that both him and Levein resent the fact that the clubs even have a say in this matter is absolutely beyond me.

When was the decision made that the purpose of the lower leagues was to develop young players?

Because that's what we're saying here, it's not enough that the Premiership is a two horse race with 10 teams to make up the numbers, now the lower leagues teams are just extras in the cast of OF youth development.

How anyone, and supposedly 'experts', can't see that this is just a way for them to pursue immediate success/reap the benefits of Europe whilst stockpiling the best young players at the same time I find quite unbelievable.

I like how he keeps going on about the need to compromise, negotiate and so on, ignoring the fact that the Lowland League have exactly zero say in this proposal. Also the "they're getting into League 2 regardless". Not if the clubs don't want them, pal.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Lol

Does this proposal mean a 30 game league if it's 16 teams?  If it does then surely any extra money will be offset in lost revenue from 6 league games.  I would think that hardly makes it a slam dunk that league 2 clubs will vote for it.

Edited by Left Back

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Does this proposal mean a 30 game league if it's 16 teams?  If it does then surely any extra money will be offset in lost revenue from 6 league games.  I would think that hardly makes it a slam dunk that league 2 clubs will vote for it.

I haven't seen any type of split suggested for a 16 team league. Season Ticket wise I would be looking at that as going from 18 league games to 15 with 2 of them being against diddy colt teams. I'd be looking for a hefty discount or just buying for however many of the 13 proper games I could actually get to during the season.

Once this gets out of the committee room of people patting each other on the back, I fully expect it to get shot down. Just like the last 3-4 times.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Lol

He just looks at the point that this gives the chance for 2 LL teams to move up and possible open up relegation from L2. As you know, I'm a strong supporter of the pyramid and fully agree it needs improving, including automatic relegation from L2 (and more relegation from the LL) and I agree with him on quite a few pyramid-issues. But it shouldn't come at any cost and the cost of colt teams is too high to pay.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

John Collins is either being dishonest about what this is really about or he is monumentally thick.

I actually think he is thick enough to believe that the real reason for this is to benefit the Scotland side.

The fact that both him and Levein resent the fact that the clubs even have a say in this matter is absolutely beyond me.

When was the decision made that the purpose of the lower leagues was to develop young players?

Because that's what we're saying here, it's not enough that the Premiership is a two horse race with 10 teams to make up the numbers, now the lower leagues teams are just extras in the cast of OF youth development.

How anyone, and supposedly 'experts', can't see that this is just a way for them to pursue immediate success/reap the benefits of Europe whilst stockpiling the best young players at the same time I find quite unbelievable.

The problem with both is that they were both considered "intelligent" footballers. They were both successful Unfortunately, the media translate that into intelligence in other areas of life. It doesn't work like that. The ability to instinctively ping a 40 yard pass with your left foot on to a sixpence doesn't make you the Oracle.

Neither does speaking very slowly and deliberately in Collins case, or bluster in Levein's.

53 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I like how he keeps going on about the need to compromise, negotiate and so on, ignoring the fact that the Lowland League have exactly zero say in this proposal. Also the "they're getting into League 2 regardless". Not if the clubs don't want them, pal.

8k a year per team is a King's ransom right enough 

25 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The problem with both is that they were both considered "intelligent" footballers. They were both successful Unfortunately, the media translate that into intelligence in other areas of life. It doesn't work like that. The ability to instinctively ping a 40 yard pass with your left foot on to a sixpence doesn't make you the Oracle.

Neither does speaking very slowly and deliberately in Collins case, or bluster in Levein's.

My problem with this debate in the mainstream media is that it very much goes like:

"We have an issue in Scotland developing young players" - ok fine

"Youth football isn't working for them, they need more first team football" - ok yeah, that seems plausible

"right so we're agreed on colt teams then, we'll hold a vote and hell mend the clubs who vote it down" 

I'd be reasonably confident that Dumbarton will continue to vote against this trash, regardless of how many pieces of silver the Old Firm shysters place on the table.

No point in clubs grabbing short-term financial support now if a significant portion of your fans indicate they'll be burning their season tickets over the longer term. 

14 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

They were pushing it again on Sportsound tonight and surprisingly Peter Grant was the voice of reason

Mike Mulraney has wishy-washy on this, so that gives me a little hope. Absolute minter if we lent our support to this self-serving horseshit.

The press interviewing managers about this idea is awful journalism, as their opinion is worthless on this. They should be grilling the chairmen...but, if you were a cynic, you could say that would be putting pressure on them that those in favour don't want.

having colt teams is disrespectful on all levels to all teams. the integrity of the leagues would be gone   

rangers or celtic they could just purchase a WOS team who are on there arse financially and play there players through that team. i know its alot of paperwork blah blah blah but its do able. its more underhand tactics but not so blatant 

having colt teams is disrespectful on all levels to all teams. the integrity of the leagues would be gone   
rangers or celtic they could just purchase a WOS team who are on there arse financially and play there players through that team. i know its alot of paperwork blah blah blah but its do able. its more underhand tactics but not so blatant 

Exactly. I believe Inverness were doing something similar with Fort William. The team may effectively still be a colt side but it’s still a proper professional club you are playing against, and all the history that comes with that club. Fort William are absolutely gash anyway so I can’t imagine their fans were complaining much when the Inverness colts helped them get some results.

I just fucking hate it.

Why are they allowed to keep coming back with a 'new' proposal whenever they fancy?

Can't we have some sort of finality in this? It gets punted to f**k every two years or so and then they just come back again with a just as shit plan.

Why is this the way that things 'have' to be?

5 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

I just fucking hate it.

Why are they allowed to keep coming back with a 'new' proposal whenever they fancy?

Can't we have some sort of finality in this? It gets punted to f**k every two years or so and then they just come back again with a just as shit plan.

TBF any club can put a proposal to the SPFL Board to be put to a vote/rejected. Its only the OF who go the papers about it.

There should be a way to suspend certain proposals for ~5 years if its rejected by clubs. 

7 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

I just fucking hate it.

Hibs had their own colt side in pyramid only 4 years ago. Where was the outrage then? 

Just now, edinabear said:

Hibs had their own colt side in pyramid only 4 years ago. Where was the outrage then? 

Well given that I literally wrote to Hibs and told them I would never buy a season ticket from them again if that shitshow of a proposal got voted through, I'd say I expressed sufficient outrage at our board being c***s too.