Old Firm Colts in L2

This fucking shite again and coming at a time when the clubs need money most. Bullying b*****ds. Get this idea in the bin permanently. It's repeatedly been made clear that the fans(outwith OF) don't want it.

Get this idea so far to f**k that it can't go any further because it has nowhere left to go, having gone as far to f**k as it's possible to go.

Lower league clubs don't want it.

Lower league fans don't want it.

The kind of kids who would be playing in a colts team in league 2 or 1 aren't going to go on to be regulars at Rangers or Celtic. The best old firm youngsters will be developing elsewhere. And there has been absolutely no indication from the old firm that they'd be willing to risk their youngsters in meaningful games unless they absolutely had no alternative. Patterson at Rangers may have got a chance in Europe recently, but it wasn't through choice. It was necessity and he wasn't getting much time on the park earlier in the season.

Its a non-starter. We need better youth coaching. If we want to give the best kids a proper chance then we need them playing at as high a level as possible. The kind of OF kids who would make up colt sides would be better playing for lower league clubs. 

If this goes through, I'm away to watch Peebles Rovers or Linton Hotspur every week, if I even bother with football anymore.

I only go to about 25 games or so a year in League One or League Two, they won't miss my money.

Genuinely post-covid seems like a very bad time for clubs to be testing the principles or their supporters. The football habit has already been dented for many.

This will be pushed and pushed and pushed until we eventually swallow it. It may not be next year or 5 year down the line but it's evident they're going to keep coming back to it until they get their own way,

Forgive me, I'm not a student of these things - why didn't clubs vote to change voting structures when rangers were in the lower leagues but it was obvious they were heading back to premier league?

Lower league clubs would always want more of a voice but moving from 11/1 to 10/2 or 9/3 wouldn't necessarily change things for them. Why didn't Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen want to avoid old firm cartel blocking changes?

8 minutes ago, true fan said:

Forgive me, I'm not a student of these things - why didn't clubs vote to change voting structures when rangers were in the lower leagues but it was obvious they were heading back to premier league?

Lower league clubs would always want more of a voice but moving from 11/1 to 10/2 or 9/3 wouldn't necessarily change things for them. Why didn't Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen want to avoid old firm cartel blocking changes?

Because Stewart Milne was and is, a fucking supper.

The last time this was supposed to going to a vote (it never actually got to that stage) caught up with our chairman & asked how he would be voting to which he obviously there had been no conformation pf a vote but he would not be doing anything to harm our club. I was up to renew my season ticket at the time and made it clear after years of contributing to the club through various means i would be walking away & looking elsewhere for my football.  He understood my concerns and that time it turned out it never reached a meeting stage. Like many i would walk away even if Colts appear not in our league but anywhere in the league system. ONE LEAGUE PLACE PER CLUB IS HOW IT SHOULD BE.

24 minutes ago, true fan said:

Aberdeen wanted to take Rangers role beside Celtic so sided with them.

Pure greed.

47 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

If this goes through, I'm away to watch Peebles Rovers or Linton Hotspur every week, if I even bother with football anymore.

I only go to about 25 games or so a year in League One or League Two, they won't miss my money.

Genuinely post-covid seems like a very bad time for clubs to be testing the principles or their supporters. The football habit has already been dented for many.

It is now blatantly obvious that the authorities, the media  and all the pundits don't give a flying f**k about the supporters of lower league clubs . No amount of lobbying from any fan  outwith the ugly sisters will be taken seriously by them. 

I totally support colt teams playing in League Two. 

It is not showing disrespect to the lower leagues to want the Old Firm to have colt teams in League Twp. 

Most Scottish League Two sides are happy to play the colt teams of foreign sides in testimonials, friendlies. Most League Two sides are happy to even play the second string sides of Celtic and Rangers in friendlies or in the cup. 

IT IS NOT SHOWING A LACK OF RESPECT TO ;LEAGUE TWO SIDES FOR THEM TO PLAY THE RANGERS OF CELTIC COLT SIDES. IT IS A MASSIVE SIGN OF RESPECT. 

It is a compliment. It shows the clubs that the bigger clubs respect them enough for them to be the perfect breeding grounds for developing young players. 

They do this in Croatia, Germany, Spain, France,. Belgium, Portugal, the Netherlands. Scotland even had a Division C in the olden day where proper sides played b sides. 

Croatia develop great players because of this system. 

Why is it suddenly showing a lack of respect for colt sides to play League Two sides? It is a compliment. It will increase interest in the lower leagues. 

We should do everything we can to ensure young players at all clubs develop while taking into account that most sides want experienced players in their first team. This will be the perfect way to develop young Scottish players. 

League Two sides are happy to loan Old Firm young players but suddenly it is the greatest insults in history to play a team of Old Firm youth players. HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? 

I do not see how a part time team finishing 2 places higher in the League Two is more important an issue than Scotland developing great international players? 

I love all Scottish soccer sides, including the part time sides. I want a strong League Two, with strong sides, but the national team is the priority for me. We should do everything we can to create a system which encourages big clubs to develop great players. 

Before someone says why don't Celtic and Rangers just stick all their youth players in their first team. Well nobody does that if they want their club to do well. All clubs pack their squads with experienced often non-Scottish players,. It is not realistic to expect any full time team to just send out an entire team of youth players,. 

We need a system where all the top sides can continue to have experienced often foreign players in their first team but can still develop young Scottish players. 

What gets on my nerves is people who say it is an insult to play b sides yet are happy to have b side players loaned to them. 

What gets on my nerves is people who would rather their part time side finishes two places higher in the league than the Scottish team develop great players. 

What really gets on my nerves is people who want to chuck out all the part time team from the SPFL, then the next next minute claim it is an insult for those teams to play against B sides, 

I love all SPFL sides, I want them all to exist, and perform to their max ability. But the national team is the priority, . 

21 minutes ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

All clubs pack their squads with experienced often non-Scottish players,. It is not realistic to expect any full time team to just send out an entire team of youth players,. 

I mean, St Johnstone just a few weeks ago won the League Cup with only Scots playing, 5 of them through the youth system, with a further 5 signed before they turned 23.

Why is it unreasonable to expect Rangers/Celtic, who seemingly having a youth system bursting at the seams with young players who can improve the National team, to do similar?

The OF are just aware they're losing their youth players to England as there's a better coaching set up and pathway down there. Billy Gilmour just the highest profile example of what's become a recurring theme.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Say this gets the go ahead and they go straight into league 2 and they and up relegated can the be put down to the lower leagues or will they be safe and on the flip side, if they do a Salford and throw money at this can the be promoted to the premiership, and if the arnt allowed, due to the conflict of interest, does that mean no promotion for them teams that come 3rd via default and 4th 5th 6th via playoff  has a chance of promotion to the top tier

mental.

Edited by D TOTAL

47 minutes ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

Most Scottish League Two sides are happy to play the colt teams of foreign sides in testimonials, friendlies. Most League Two sides are happy to even play the second string sides of Celtic and Rangers in friendlies or in the cup. 

Why is it suddenly showing a lack of respect for colt sides to play League Two sides? It is a compliment. It will increase interest in the lower leagues. 

League Two sides are happy to loan Old Firm young players but suddenly it is the greatest insults in history to play a team of Old Firm youth players. HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? 

Are you being serious? I genuinely cannot figure out if you are or not. It is perfectly obvious why clubs would be happy to play friendlies against a Rangers XI or loan players from Celtic but not for them to be a league regular. I'm stunned that you cannot see this.

And the usual rubbish about increasing interest in the lower leagues falls flat on its face when you see how little it has done to boost the crowds in the Challenge Cup which the SPFL have effectively ruined.

The rest of your post basically reads as though everyone else should just roll over and let the lower leagues become reserve training sessions for top tier colt sides which is mind bogglingly idiotic and an insult to supporters of those sides. Why should Airdrie, Peterhead, Alloa or whoever just have meaningless kick abouts solely to benefit the Scotland national team? You're effectively arguing for complete dilution of the lower leagues all for the benefit of a select few clubs. Laughable!

Your post is easily one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on this site.

Edited by RiG

40 minutes ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

Croatia develop great players because of this system. 

Your whole post is appalling, but this is an especially bad take. By my count, of the current Croatia squad 2 of them have ever played in a ‘colt’ side. As per the Terrace (https://mobile.twitter.com/terracepodcast/status/1371590441120976899) the World Cup 2018 squad had one - a back up goalkeeper.

40 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

BBC radio reporting that clubs have now met for discussions on this and will probably vote next week... I have a really bad feeling about this folks!

•  
  •  

I think you may be right. 

It's what I feared, and is why I was suggesting, effectively, League 2 clubs offer to play against a non-pyramid division of elite colts, as part of their regular season.

Just saying "no" isn't enough to deter these people, but a counter-proposal that answers their arguments may do.

47 minutes ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

I totally support colt teams playing in League Two. 

[...LINES AND LINES OF PISH...]

I love all SPFL sides, I want them all to exist, and perform to their max ability. But the national team is the priority, . 

Right. There is no evidence that B teams make better players. I went into this in more detail here but, the tl;dr version, players are just as likely to become an elite player if they start playing in the lower leagues for a lower league team than they are if they turn out for a B or C team in the lower leagues. 

So, with all else being equal, there is a lot more egalitarianism in allowing young players to play in the lower leagues directly for the the lower league team than in a top flight club's B team.