Old Firm Colts in L2

If Celtgers think lower league football is the place for youth development, what is to stop them loaning out their youth players to league teams? 

They could pick one team as a “feeder “ team and loan them several players at once. 

9 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

If Celtgers think lower league football is the place for youth development, what is to stop them loaning out their youth players to league teams? 

They could pick one team as a “feeder “ team and loan them several players at once. 

I don't think that's much better.

6 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

Stenny - Hibs might disagree.

Probably, but that doesn't make it right. The big club will have too much influence over the wee one. I understand it's a solution to filling the squad on a very limited budget but I'm not a supporter of it.

7 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

Queen of the South are giving that a fair trial run at the moment. 4 Gers at Palmerston currently, 3 started today, the other came on and scored.

9 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

They already do loan out a load of their players (we have one from Sevco and one from Celtic; almost certainly neither will make it in the first team of their parent club).

As for your second part, they did propose that but almost all clubs (rightly) told them to bolt.

Edited by DA Baracus

Reserve League doesn't work in the way it used to as regards senior pros being involved.  Premier Clubs often have 20 players on first team duty nowadays and their senior pros just don't want to play in reserve games nowadays.  SPFL don't as far as I know have a prohibition on colt teams or B teams but member clubs can only own 1 share in the SPFL each

11 minutes ago, edinabear said:

I think especially with the feelgood factor of 55, Rangers colts would take huge crowds around League 2 which can only be good for the game

Past experience is that clubs lose money on cup games against the Rangers* colts because of extra policing costs.

... and what is this 55 nonsense 😂😂😂

48 minutes ago, edinabear said:

I think especially with the feelgood factor of 55, Rangers colts would take huge crowds around League 2 which can only be good for the game

Just what we need another excuse for your "fans" to get pissed and smash places up.  No thanks.  The hatred we have to put up from The Rangers and Celtic is bad enough, why would we want another 2 of you.

As an aside, am I the only one who thinks the bribe you are attempting is basically the money you took off the other clubs youth set ups and keep for project brave?

11 hours ago, edinabear said:

Ajax got to the semi finals of the Champions League and were very close to the final only to be denied by a late Spurs goal, they reached the final of the Europa League, both quite recent. Yet even then their colts even struggled getting double figure away crowds in the second tier. There is no reason to assume it will be any different for the OF, regardless of how their first teams perform on the pitch.

Edited by Marten

10 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Past experience is that clubs lose money on cup games against the Rangers* colts because of extra policing costs.

... and what is this 55 nonsense 😂😂😂

Extra policing in attendance = the huge crowds

They're not talking about actual fans boosting the attendances, that's why they're offering to pay for a certain number of tickets.

19 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Extra policing in attendance = the huge crowds

They're not talking about actual fans boosting the attendances, that's why they're offering to pay for a certain number of tickets.

No. Extra policing because of the trouble that they cause everywhere they go.

14 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

No. Extra policing because of the trouble that they cause everywhere they go.

That's the joke. The huge crowds that OF/Colt fans bring up are the extra police turning up not actual fans. Which even Rangers and Celtic know since these bribes also include a minimum number of tickets sold.

Rangers and Celtic fans are mostly utter glory hunters from outside Glasgow who support a team they’ve no connection to because they win things. Unless the Colt teams are dominating the leagues they play in interest will very quickly wain. The only time the Challenge Cup has seen a decent crowd for a Colt game was when Rangers came close to getting to the final and suddenly the Glory Hunters appeared in Inverness.

As Marten says it’ll be exactly the same as the Netherlands, for the first couple of seasons it’ll be a novelty and attract fans and then it’ll wear off and the away end will be empty as there’s no interest in watching Rangers Colts drawing with Stenhousemuir.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

That's the joke. The huge crowds that OF/Colt fans bring up are the extra police turning up not actual fans. Which even Rangers and Celtic know since these bribes also include a minimum number of tickets sold.

If there's very few actual fans there why would there need to be substantial policing?