Old Firm Colts in L2

4 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

The top division clubs had the chance to blood young players in the first team some years ago and took the piss out of the requirement to do so by throwing them on with a minute to go. The rule was quickly scrapped.

I'll add that any arrangement to put cash in would be subject to change at some point in the future and voted out by pliant Quislings.

Trust no one.

There's the answer - stick them in the Norwegian pyramid!

Edited by Jacksgranda
Typo

28 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I get there's a big difference and a dearth of leagues for Stranraer reserves to play in but it's a loophole that could be exploited.

There's a few others that need to go as well.

Totally agree, no club should have two teams in the same league system. Accepting colt sides into the pyramid isn't the same situation though, so when folk point to it as an example it's a straw man.

6 hours ago, The Phoenix said:

After 183 pages we finally get a well thought out constructive post. 

Substantially better trolling than Edna Bear has ever managed. She needs to up her game.

3 hours ago, Oldster said:

Ofcourse.

If I was a supporter of a League 2 club, I wonder if I could just ignore the colt teams in the league, dodge the games against them, but continue to support my team as usual. Might manage that if the money on offer helped my club long-term.

How is any of this of concern to a "Forth Wanderers" fan?

😕

Why league 2 ? 

It isn’t the bottom of the pyramid.

If you are going to parachute teams in willy nilly in the middle without starting from the bottom, why not aim higher for better “youth development”

Having them play in league 1 of the championship makes about as much sense.

Its almost as if those proposing this don’t have the faintest knowledge or care for lower league football in this country. 

5 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

Why league 2 ? 

It isn’t the bottom of the pyramid.

If you are going to parachute teams in willy nilly in the middle without starting from the bottom, why not aim higher for better “youth development”

Having them play in league 1 of the championship makes about as much sense.

Its almost as if those proposing this don’t have the faintest knowledge or care for lower league football in this country. 

Because those two teams have a sense of entitlement that no one else has. 

Don't have the answers but.... promotion and relegation IS part of the spfl I believe, so there must be a ruling that you cannot have two teams of the same club in the same division ?  Only just read of the OF bribes on offer to other clubs, dear oh dear. Wish the SFA would announce that the colts thing is a non starter once and for all.

1 hour ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Don't have the answers but.... promotion and relegation IS part of the spfl I believe, so there must be a ruling that you cannot have two teams of the same club in the same division ?  Only just read of the OF bribes on offer to other clubs, dear oh dear. Wish the SFA would announce that the colts thing is a non starter once and for all.

You can’t have 2 sides within the leagues covered by professional game board.  (Tier 5 and up)

What the old firm would want is to get rules like that changed(and ones that would allow them to skip the queue and get expanded spfl slots ahead of tier 5 clubs)

2 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

That has always  been my view as well .The other thing they used to argue was it would bring on young Scottish players up to international standard, not sure how the old firm squads line now but it would seem there are an awful of foreign players with them. 

13 hours ago, parsforlife said:

You can’t have 2 sides within the leagues covered by professional game board.  (Tier 5 and up)

What the old firm would want is to get rules like that changed(and ones that would allow them to skip the queue and get expanded spfl slots ahead of tier 5 clubs)

It's also worth noting that the LL has it in their constitution that they don't accept any colt sides in their league. This means that even if the OF manage to convince the SPFL & PGB to change their rules on colt teams, but the SPFL decline to shoehorn these teams into League 2, it's still not possible to get colt teams into the SPFL from the tier 6 (& lower) leagues unless the LL change their constitution.

Edited by Marten

It's also worth noting that the LL has it in their constitution that they don't accept any colt sides in their league. This means that even if the OF manage to convince the SPFL & PGB to change their rules on colt teams, but the SPFL decline to shoehorn these teams into League 2, it's still not possible to get colt teams into the SPFL from the tier 6 (& lower) leagues unless the LL change their constitution.
Is it the same in the Highland League? A Sevco Colts playing out of Inverness might well get more fans than one based in West Central Scotland.

10 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
2 hours ago, Marten said:

Is it the same in the Highland League? A Sevco Colts playing out of Inverness might well get more fans than one based in West Central Scotland.

As far as I'm aware, no, it's not the same in the Highland League. And I indeed wouldn't put it past them to try it through the HL. Whether or not the clubs would vote them in is a second, then again, they'd probably need less money to bribe enough HL clubs... 

I take it this issue will just keep returning unless Scotland consistently qualify for the major championships.

So maybe find a better way to bring on youth development, then there would be no argument for the colts (even if youth development isn't their genuine reason for wanting colts in the league).

Project Brave, reserves leagues - something must work.

7 minutes ago, St-ow! said:

I take it this issue will just keep returning unless Scotland consistently qualify for the major championships.

So maybe find a better way to bring on youth development, then there would be no argument for the colts (even if youth development isn't their genuine reason for wanting colts in the league).

Project Brave, reserves leagues - something must work.

Project Brave literally removes funding from smaller clubs and hands it to the Old Firm and other "elite" clubs. You can stand there and say it's on the smaller clubs to then do better at youth development when they've had their funding removed. The onus is on elite clubs now to produce young players, if the OF want to argue the only way they can do that is by adding colts to the league then I suggest we give their funding to clubs who actually ken what they're doing. 

I was keen on reserve leagues with a set quota of youths in each team's XI, as a way to progress their development alongside senior pros. Don't know where we are with that now.

Then again, maybe that didn't ever produce very many really good players in the past, who would actually improve the national team.

Maybe the best development comes from good young players actually signing permanent contracts with clubs down the leagues, and being fully part of that club's efforts for a couple of seasons - because my impression is that loans don't really do much for player development.

Edited by St-ow!
Scrubbing American slang.

19 hours ago, St-ow! said:

I was keen on reserve leagues with a set quota of youths in each team's XI, as a way to progress their development alongside senior pros. Don't know where we are with that now.

They had the big rebrand in 2018-19. An 18 team league involving most of the full time teams in the country...only to play a 17 game schedule and before the season was a decent number of the clubs said they were not going to be back in 2019-20. The second season was down to just 10 teams.

image.png.cc62086cdb7e1b6c36135f0557b5e998.png

For some reason Livingston Reserves were playing in the Reserve League 2 last year. Reserve League 2 is cobbled together with a few Lowland League teams to keep it afloat.

Brechin fans are worried they won't be able to wash the strips on time to fulfill fixtures so maybe they could be replaced by Celtic or Rangers Colts for the rest of the season as a trial. 

Old Firm Colts can play a televised play-off with the winner getting the sought after spot. 

3 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Brechin fans are worried they won't be able to wash the strips on time to fulfill fixtures so maybe they could be replaced by Celtic or Rangers Colts for the rest of the season as a trial. 

Old Firm Colts can play a televised play-off with the winner getting the sought after spot. 

But to be fair the opportunity should also be extended to other colts teams. Might make a good local derby if we had Stranraer v Stranraer in the league 😉

6 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Trying too hard.