Old Firm Colts in L2

The Netherlands look to be implementing a Gentlemens agreement on youth players, stating that any club with an "elite" academy will not sign youth players from the rest.  Designed to stop Ajax/PSV hoovering up all young talent, giving other clubs the chance to develop good young players and potentially sell them on for good money. A progressive country getting together and coming to agreement and giving it time to work or fail.
What do we have here? Two teams frantically putting a new frock on the same old whore and sending her round the country in the hope someone will fling it up her, all the while ignoring the constant and unfaltering feedback of "we don't want to shag her m8".

They did already shoehorn Colts teams into their second tier, complete with a rule that they couldn't get relegated.

39 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They did already shoehorn Colts teams into their second tier, complete with a rule that they couldn't get relegated.

They're not perfect, but I believe discussions have started to end the colt teams over there (not sure if it was Marten on here who mentioned that). They don't seem to have a problem admitting when things don't work.

On 07/05/2019 at 11:24, The Moonster said:

Nice idea but completely unworkable to cover all teams.  The governing body have essentially removed all youth development funding for part time clubs, some part time clubs doing away with their youth teams altogether because funding it is extremely difficult/nigh on impossible.  If they want all clubs to produce players then funding needs to be provided to all clubs. I would also argue that with the above ruling would mean MORE players are swallowed up by the big teams - if they actually need to play these kids then they'll need to make sure they've got ones good enough, that means signing more and seeing who comes through IMO.

I didn't really like the 8-8-8 split, but I do support bigger leagues. Are there any workable solutions/alternatives to doing that 8-8-8 split?

Take the point it is not perfect however I would have it in transit with other rules and support like 

- prize money/ sponsorship/ support distributions given on the requirement youth is invested in with the smaller teams supported

- completely scrap and start again with project brave where youth development is incentivised 

- maximum squad sizes and outbound loan rules to prevent the big teams swallowing up talent. Man C and Chelsea are examples of what should never have been allowed to happen in any nation with bloated squads and practically abusing loan markets. Rules can easily be put in place to stop this. 

The reality is this will never happen though because of the warped rules in this country which allow for the previously called ‘Old firm veto’   

On 07/05/2019 at 11:24, The Moonster said:

Nice idea but completely unworkable to cover all teams.  The governing body have essentially removed all youth development funding for part time clubs, some part time clubs doing away with their youth teams altogether because funding it is extremely difficult/nigh on impossible.  If they want all clubs to produce players then funding needs to be provided to all clubs. I would also argue that with the above ruling would mean MORE players are swallowed up by the big teams - if they actually need to play these kids then they'll need to make sure they've got ones good enough, that means signing more and seeing who comes through IMO.

I didn't really like the 8-8-8 split, but I do support bigger leagues. Are there any workable solutions/alternatives to doing that 8-8-8 split?

I wasn’t a fan at all of the 8-8-8 either. I think it being tried twice and failed twice is a big alarm bell. For me it was also just a way to get new Rangers playing too flight teams quick as possible as well. 

I would love a bigger top flight but the SPFL are geared only to four Glasgow derby games a season 

• 5 months later...

Just had a quick look. So far in 4 matches the only spfl team rangers colts have beaten is Stranraer. Not saying they wouldn't have beaten them had they been drawn against any but impossible to measure. And as said, nobody wants them in league 2 or anywhere else in the senior set up

4 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-challenge-cup-scalps-prove-20869450

What about the last couple of seasons when they were getting pumped? 

From the opening line of the article:  "Rangers Colts already have the scalps of four senior clubs in the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup."

And this season they've beaten only ONE Scottish league side, Craig Mulholland is full of shit. Using that joke of a competition, where teams play weakened sides and tend to treat the games as a nuisance, is hardly justification for a full time colt side from a tribute act club gaining access to the Scottish league system.

16 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

The football arguments are tenuous at best but the basic question for league 2 fans is do we want Scottish Footballs sectarian shame brought to our grounds. ?

get them to f**k !

How many of the sectarian bigots have followed the colts up till now ?  I would take a guess and say none because these teams  are Rangers and Celtic by name only .  The only time they might muster a crowd is when they play each other and have a reason to spew their filth at each other. 

This is obviously Doncaster and Co's  yearly attempt to keep this contentious  issue on the table.  They will never give it up till they get their own way. 

5 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

How many of the sectarian bigots have followed the colts up till now ?  I would take a guess and say none because these teams  are Rangers and Celtic by name only .  The only time they might muster a crowd is when they play each other and have a reason to spew their filth at each other. 

This is obviously Doncaster and Co's  yearly attempt to keep this contentious  issue on the table.  They will never give it up till they get their own way. 

Had a look on-line and noted Rangers u-21 are really doing their bid to advance young Scottish players, among the line up against Solihull and other squad members there was 1 one from DRC, three from England, one from Portugal, a couple from Northern Ireland, and one over age Albanian. Our national team will really benefit from the blue bigots boys' team playing adults.

Edited by AlbionMan

42 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

Had a look on-line and noted Rangers u-21 are really doing their bid to advance young Scottish players, among the line up against Solihull and other squad members there was 1 one from DRC, three from England, one from Portugal, a couple from Northern Ireland, and one over age Albanian. Our national team will really benefit from the blue bigots boys' team playing adults.

Why does this not surprise me ?  Try explaining this to Cockwomble and you would just get that gleckit half smile to suggest that he has no idea what your point is . ;)

22 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Why does this not surprise me ?  Try explaining this to Cockwomble and you would just get that gleckit half smile to suggest that he has no idea what your point is . ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-doncaster-earns-mammoth-91k-20871504&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjR6ojn5OzlAhVyVBUIHVVHDVgQqOcBMAN6BAgBEAI&usg=AOvVaw2afG_xTGkuYM_6AwFrm98O