Old Firm Colts in L2

19 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm not - they're like Sinn Fein, they'll keep pushing with a slightly different approach until whatever it is their whinging about appears "mainstream" and gets accepted.

I would surmise that full time sides in the championship would like to add two teams to reduce the risk of relegation.  

Everyone can hum and haw about the detail but all you need to know is that the objective is to get the Old Firm a team each in the Championship. Their slavish puppets on the relevant SPFL committee ( and whoever might have to ok it at the SFA) will pass it through. You read it here first.

They can’t pass it through - the 42 clubs would have to vote it through by the various majorities required - and can’t see why clubs in L1L2 would support 2 clubs/sides coming in at levels above them

Edited by Cowden Cowboy
Amend

Seems to me that this proposal would be to get all the Championship full time sides in support. With a forty four game season it would be very difficult for a part time team to stay up. And with a twelve team division there would always be a couple of part time teams in it, so nice wee protection from relegation for the full time sides.

14 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Seems to me that this proposal would be to get all the Championship full time sides in support. With a forty four game season it would be very difficult for a part time team to stay up. And with a twelve team division there would always be a couple of part time teams in it, so nice wee protection from relegation for the full time sides.

They won’t have a 44 game season - easy to have a split just like the Premier to give you 38.  If they go to 12 we will need 2 new clubs - thus options are colts orHL/LL.  The L1/L2 clubs already confirmed that they did not support having colts clubs in the SPFL and can’t see that changing so one last go at flying a kite - that won’t be agreed so HL/LL option most likely.  The championship clubs are already trying to redistribute the prize money in their League so that champs who benefit from promotion get less and thus the others get more.  2 more teams in Championship also gives then a relegation cushion.  However voting rights, board representation, money distribution, etc are all complex areas if there is any change and difficult to get agreement.  Clubs in favour tend to want to spend extra tv/sponsor cash on funding payments to new clubs rather than them cutting their share thus the clubs not in favour also have to pay

I think the 12 team championship will be all geared towards bringing in the 8-8-8 split in premier and championship. Gives all teams 36 games and an even, fair split. If so a good idea for a change.

4 minutes ago, ftk said:

I think the 12 team championship will be all geared towards bringing in the 8-8-8 split in premier and championship. Gives all teams 36 games and an even, fair split. If so a good idea for a change.

It was a daft gimmicky idea before and still is to me

I see the usual “reasons” for supporting this plan are being trotted out – “It will help to develop youngsters and make our national team better”. f**k off. It’s not for the likes of Airdrie, Brechin or Peterhead to sacrifice their league games to help out Rangers and Celtic “develop” their young players. If Rangers and Celtic want to develop them either play them or let them go out on loan.

It was a daft gimmicky idea before and still is to me
Anything that helps keep Ayr out of league 1 is a good thing for me.

And they say the teams are selfish and only think of themselves [emoji23]

I can't speak for the clubs in the other three divisions, but I'm bored playing teams in our division 3/4 times a season plus whatever cup games on top of it. I'm aware that the milieu would mewl towards keeping the OF playing each other 4 times in the league at all costs, however if you were to fast track 6 clubs from the HL and LL (you'd imagine that the juniors will join the pyramid structure eventually to fill the vacuum) and merge the three divisions into two divisions of 18, it wouldn't be the worst compromise. However you take a title to play for out of the mix which considering the climate of this season and most them before it, nobody wants to lose.

Aside from looking at the playoffs at the bottom of the top and bottom tiers, everyone is quite happy with how things are and for that reason alone I see no reason to change it.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

1 hour ago, RiG said:

“It will help to develop youngsters and make our national team better”.

Neither of the arsecheeks have any interest in making the national team better. Rangers would prefer a UK side and Celtic would rather help develop the Irish one.

What specific reason(s) do you have thinking merging L1 and L2 would be benificial?

Personally, I think they have been great value with 10 teams; likely way too many meaningless games come March in an 18 team league.

We will play Edinburgh city 7 times this season and if we beat them in the play off semi potentially play Annan 6 times. We have also played Cowdenbeath 5 times. It’s absolutely monotonous.

An 18 team league playing home and away once would be much more appealing. Yes there might be some meaningless matches for the mid table sides but one automatic relegation place and playoffs at both ends would mitigate that to an extent.

6 hours ago, ftk said:

And those outside the 24 get lumbered with Celtic and Rangers reserves?

Fair play, they might have hit on a formula that allows the reserves in with the 30 pieces of silver being the expansion of the 2nd tier.

5 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

We will play Edinburgh city 7 times this season and if we beat them in the play off semi potentially play Annan 6 times. We have also played Cowdenbeath 5 times. It’s absolutely monotonous.

An 18 team league playing home and away once would be much more appealing. Yes there might be some meaningless matches for the mid table sides but one automatic relegation place and playoffs at both ends would mitigate that to an extent.

Cannot agree more. It is so boring some times. I cannot even remember much about a lot of the games I have been to over the years because we play each other that often.

The following quote from the Herald article tells you all you need to know...

The idea [Colts Teams in the SPFL] is unlikely to ever gain the required support within Hampden, however, and there seems little chance of the Old Firm being involved in the Reserve League in the long term.

At the last SPFL Competitions Working Group the outstanding action point on this topic was closed and marked “No further action”.

Above from the Albion's Rave On forum

All of this reminds me of University Challenge and how Oxford and Cambridge are allowed to enter multiple teams simply because they're different 'colleges'. They're either Oxford or they aren't, make up your minds.