Old Firm Colts in L2

Not sure that this

Chris McCart, head of Celtic youth development, explained: “We wanted to create a colts team in the lower leagues but that was knocked back. So now we are looking at other opportunities.

means it's back on the agenda.

33 minutes ago, edinabear said:

It's so frustrating they keep pushing this idea when it has been shown there is little fan appetite for it outside the biggest clubs. If they want to improve the quality of young players then lobby for change that forces teams to develop, it would be so easy. 

Two/ three year grace period then put in a rule where 3-5 of all starting 11 need to be: 

- Under 23 at start of season 

- Trained at YOUR club for a minimum of three years before they're 17. (This would prevent bigger teams just swallowing up young talent and mean all the players would be Scotland eligible)

All clubs being bound by the same rules would soon force the youth issue. 

1 minute ago, Bazil85 said:

It's so frustrating they keep pushing this idea when it has been shown there is little fan appetite for it outside the biggest clubs. If they want to improve the quality of young players then lobby for change that forces teams to develop, it would be so easy. 

Two/ three year grace period then put in a rule where 3-5 of all starting 11 need to be: 

- Under 23 at start of season 

- Trained at YOUR club for a minimum of three years before they're 17. (This would prevent bigger teams just swallowing up young talent and mean all the players would be Scotland eligible)

All clubs being bound by the same rules would soon force the youth issue. 

Far too much logic here. 

What worries me here is that McCart is utterly irrepressible on the subject of "development" being key to this, way beyond his vested interest. These youth players will still be "coached" and "developed" by the same fucking delinquents who've churned out shite, James Forrest, and more shite for a decade. And by definition of being involved with the biggest clubs (he fails to specifically say which other ones want it), he and his "coaching" team will he beset by the same results-based KPIs as the 'senior' team- f**k development!!

Get it binned.

7 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Far too much logic here. 

What worries me here is that McCart is utterly irrepressible on the subject of "development" being key to this, way beyond his vested interest. These youth players will still be "coached" and "developed" by the same fucking delinquents who've churned out shite, James Forrest, and more shite for a decade. And by definition of being involved with the biggest clubs (he fails to specifically say which other ones want it), he and his "coaching" team will he beset by the same results-based KPIs as the 'senior' team- f**k development!!

Get it binned.

Celtic have three youth-team products as first team regulars (Tierney, McGregor, Forrest) and have several others who may be on the verge of breaking through (Ralston, Henderson, Johnston). Those six guys have had 177 first team appearances between them this season. Previously, the likes of McGeady and Maloney have made them big transfer fees, and the likes of McManus and Mulgrew were first team regulars for a while.

You can criticise them for a lot, but I think Celtic are actually doing a pretty good job of bringing through youngsters into their first team. All of which makes it even less necessary for them to have a Colt team.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Celtic have three youth-team products as first team regulars (Tierney, McGregor, Forrest) and have several others who may be on the verge of breaking through (Ralston, Henderson, Johnston). Those six guys have had 177 first team appearances between them this season. Previously, the likes of McGeady and Maloney have made them big transfer fees, and the likes of McManus and Mulgrew were first team regulars for a while.

You can criticise them for a lot, but I think Celtic are actually doing a pretty good job of bringing through youngsters into their first team. All of which makes it even less necessary for them to have a Colt team.

Fair enough, Craig. On a personal level, i'd accept Tierney but perhaps shaky on McGregor, as a particularly great product, and of course there's no doubt that the previous youth finds, coupled with several multiple-fold findings in the transfer market have made Celtic a very wealthy club in financial matters, but morally bankrupt when bleating about impedements to competing in Europe.

It's blindingly obvious that none of these proposals will increase a single aspect of Celtic's competitive sphere. The real question, which most of us already know the answer to, is what do they think will? 

I’ve been told that Robbie Deas wasn’t allowed the full game for Cowden on Saturday as Celtic wanted him for the Glasgow Cup Final on Tuesday against Rangers. (He scored the winner)

so let’s put this into context for the future world with Colts teams ?

second last game of the season and the Bigot brothers colts have the Glasgow Cup Final midweek. They could be playing the title or trapdoor contenders on the Saturday and so they rest their best Colts  players and play kids and totally f**k up the league 2 competition.

this should be a lesson and to tell these fucking arsholes including their rag the daily record to get the f**k away from the lower leagues.

rant over 

9 hours ago, edinabear said:

Celtic and 'Rangers' don't have U20 teams in the reserve league. They have reserve teams.

Same as U20 sides don't take place in the farcical Irn Bru Cup, although the press and even SPFL website says otherwise. These are reserve teams as well.

Scottish football is done for me if Colt sides get dumped on the lower leagues.

18 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Celtic and 'Rangers' don't have U20 teams in the reserve league. They have reserve teams.

Same as U20 sides don't take place in the farcical Irn Bru Cup, although the press and even SPFL website says otherwise. These are reserve teams as well.

They weren't reserve teams they were U21 teams

23 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

They're not reserve teams - they're U21 teams who are allowed two overage players.

How about a mutually beneficial deal, the main condition for permitting the U20 teams in the league set up being that they agree to strict liability for all senior clubs with a 3 point deduction every time the fucking bigots supporters spout their sectarian pish. Oh and the youngsters can go to the lowland league and fucking stay there.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

St Johnstone outing themselves as being in favour of this too.

Very disappointing and hopefully he'll come to realise the error of his ways. 

But have any Premiership club come out and said they aren't in favour? If a club like Saints who - and they'll strongly deny it - play themselves a bit at youth development are willing to back it, you can bet that more than Motherwell will join the big city teams in supporting it. 

It is a horrendous idea. 

2 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Fair enough, Craig. On a personal level, i'd accept Tierney but perhaps shaky on McGregor, as a particularly great product,

FWIW, McGregor is on a shortlist of four for the PFA player of the year alongside another Celtic graduate, James Forest. 

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

FWIW, McGregor is on a shortlist of four for the PFA player of the year alongside another Celtic graduate, James Forest. 

It was merely a personal opinion, when i posted regarding him. Jackie McNamara was quoted in the same category, twice, when competing with genuine top-drawer players in the 90s. "Unfulfilled" was mentioned regarding him, it's fair to say. 

With regard strictly to McGregor, as an example, McCart's sole tenet on this is that Colt teams will develop better players than him in the future. This is garbage. It's not something Celtic need to improve on, in the current climate. It's 40 of the 41 other clubs, who need to instead. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

They're not reserve teams - they're U21 teams who are allowed two overage players.

To all intents and purposes, reserve teams then.

That's a side issue in any case to the point made, that dumping Colt teams into the lower leagues will be the end of football in Scotland for fans, evidence for this being the pathetic crowds when such outfits have appeared in the Irn Bru competition.

I totally understand people's reaction to this. I would say though that there could be a argument made for putting colt teams in at the very bottom of the pyramid. Whether that is east of Scotland or a new West of Scotland league and having conditions on how high they can progress up the leagues.