Old Firm Colts in L2

Positive: will probably increase attendances and therefore the revenue in League Two. 

Negative: how would it affect promotion? What if Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs wanted to enter Colt sides, too? Potentially could that mean the side finishing sixth gets promoted, or would we allow the Colt teams to rise up to the Championship? Can they enter the cups - if not does that give them an advantage, due to less congested fixtures? Does it not cheapen the league? 

Positive: will probably increase attendances and therefore the revenue in League Two. 
Negative: how would it affect promotion? What if Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs wanted to enter Colt sides, too? Potentially could that mean the side finishing sixth gets promoted, or would we allow the Colt teams to rise up to the Championship? Can they enter the cups - if not does that give them an advantage, due to less congested fixtures? Does it not cheapen the league? 

It most certainly would not increase attendances, see the Challenge Cup attendances for evidence of that.

7 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:
24 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

It most certainly would not increase attendances, see the Challenge Cup attendances for evidence of that.

In that case there are no benefits at all. 

I asked myself if Colt teams should be allowed in League Two.

I'm not saying I'm totally against it, just giving an opinion based on FACTS and that's all, but from my research, done this morning, two minutes ago, 100% of Scottish football fans asked were against the idea.

Just in case anyone's wondering why I keep banging my head against this particular brick wall, Cowden Cowboy is apparently on the board at Cowdenbeath. It's unnerving to think that these are the kind of non-arguments that are put forward in the boardroom at an SPFL club.

In Germany, the lower league sides (who may still pull in 5000+) hate that under 23 sides are in their divisions. Generally, they bring no support and their home games are played at shitty wee grounds in front of 500 disinterested fans.

We, of course, would also have the benefit of every shell-suited mutant from miles around descending on Annan or wherever giving it their sectarian bile in the face of fairly relaxed stewarding.

I'm out.

I asked myself if Colt teams should be allowed in League Two.
I'm not saying I'm totally against it, just giving an opinion based on FACTS and that's all, but from my research, done this morning, two minutes ago, 100% of Scottish football fans asked were against the idea.
Make that 200%; I'm with you!

1 hour ago, Blootoon87 said:

As well as all the people on here who have said flat out that they would not attend any match their club played against a Colts team.

Thousands in favour, really? Where did you draw that conclusion from? I could see no information on sample size, merely 74% of old firm supporting morons who would reply to a daily record poll voted yes.

If 14 people out of 19 voted yes that would be 74%, hardly a groundswell of support.

Try actually looking - it tells you over 10,000 votes cast thus around 7500 scottish football fans support the proposal - a good deal more than any anti figures on P&B as far as I can see.

2 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Try actually looking - it tells you over 10,000 votes cast thus around 7500 scottish football fans support the proposal - a good deal more than any anti figures on P&B as far as I can see.

The idea was panned out at a meeting of members clubs just a few months ago. That says a good deal more than a poll on a Glasgow newspaper's website.

Now, obviously, the Old Firm clubs have loads of supporters, so if you think that their view should be considered more valuable than every League One and Two club then that's your opinion - but personally I'd rather Cowdenbeath and Dumbarton fans were represented equally with Rangers and Celtic fans.

Just in case anyone's wondering why I keep banging my head against this particular brick wall, Cowden Cowboy is apparently on the board at Cowdenbeath. It's unnerving to think that these are the kind of non-arguments that are put forward in the boardroom at an SPFL club.

No it's unnerving that folk like you don't like anyone not running with the herd and actually thinking about matters in the round rather than dog whistle knee jerk reactions. There are reasons why this could possibly be seen as having positive aspects - do they outweigh the negatives - no. Nothing controversial in taking a balanced view - I am not sure what non-arguments you suggest I am putting forward other than facts and pros and cons.

Guest The Phoenix
40 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

The idea was panned out at a meeting of members clubs just a few months ago. That says a good deal more than a poll on a Glasgow newspaper's website.

Now, obviously, the Old Firm clubs have loads of supporters, so if you think that their view should be considered more valuable than every League One and Two club then that's your opinion - but personally I'd rather Cowdenbeath and Dumbarton fans were represented equally with Rangers and Celtic fans.

This 100%  - and this is the case irrespective of what Waddell may say or think.  Of the 20 current SPFL1 & 2 Clubs not one was in favour of introducing Colts Teams to SPFL2 and only one showed an interest in further discussions re the introduction of SPFL3. That one Club may have changed its opinion since the meeting was held.  That said another one may have replaced them! 

Away and w**k dugs you lickspittle

No it's unnerving that folk like you don't like anyone not running with the herd and actually thinking about matters in the round rather than dog whistle knee jerk reactions. There are reasons why this could possibly be seen as having positive aspects - do they outweigh the negatives - no. Nothing controversial in taking a balanced view - I am not sure what non-arguments you suggest I am putting forward other than facts and pros and cons.
Your "balanced view" is exclusively in the pursuit of softening the stance agaisnt taking the Old Firm bribes IMO.

12 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I've been trying to provide a balanced and nuanced overview covering a range of perspectives as opposed to the standard anti-Old Firm knee jerk responses. I have often been told on here that fans don't want colt teams so I merely showed that a poll as valid as any on here shows thousands of fans in favour. Thus reality is quite a number of scottish football fans do back the idea and P&B posters don't = all Scottish football fans. I also suggested that some clubs might potentially be tempted to vote for this if a big enough incentive was on the table - a 3rd division and/or the money previously mooted have not been enough to overcome the very obvious downsides. What's the problem with making valid points as opposed to just all parroting the same views. Devils Advocate type approach isn't trolling rather its food for thought.

A "journalist" working for a paper that relies on the custom of Rangers and  Celtic supporters for its existence asks a deliberately loaded question of that customer group and gets the answer he wanted....EXCLUSIVE!

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

A "journalist" working for a paper that relies on the custom of Rangers and  Celtic supporters for its existence asks a deliberately loaded question of that customer group and gets the answer he wanted....EXCLUSIVE!

Am amazed that a paper that sold the country down the river just a few years ago has a readership of 10,000 to poll

3 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

In Germany, the lower league sides (who may still pull in 5000+) hate that under 23 sides are in their divisions. Generally, they bring no support and their home games are played at shitty wee grounds in front of 500 disinterested fans.

We, of course, would also have the benefit of every shell-suited mutant from miles around descending on Annan or wherever giving it their sectarian bile in the face of fairly relaxed stewarding.

I'm out.

I don't think we'd even get that. Their fans can't even be bothered turning up to watch the main team playing in the early rounds of cup competitions, so why would any substantial number go to watch a youth team playing in the fourth tier?

11 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't think we'd even get that. Their fans can't even be bothered turning up to watch the main team playing in the early rounds of cup competitions, so why would any substantial number go to watch a youth team playing in the fourth tier?

This, a million times. Cite the Irn Bru Cup, as being heralded the template upon which the whole idea was embryonic.

Edited by Officer Barbrady