Old Firm Colts in L2

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

But the colts being shoved into L2/3 won't be fixing that as it's all about how the game is played here. The technically gifted ball players aren't going to flourish on heavy pitches in the lower leagues though they may learn how to ride a tackle! Big guys are good for set pieces at either end and they can win games. Win the physical battle and you're halfway to victory. I watched both legs of Aberdeen v Burnley at the start of the season and it was as clear as night and day the difference in size between the teams. Burnley had some good players but Aberdeen outshone them (IMO) in the technical department. The bigger, stronger team won through.

I think Burnley are just a better team than Aberdeen. My point was, coaches should stop obsessing about a players hieght and build. Skill is what matters, not height. English teams are the worst in the world for it. They pack their teams full of big lumps and rely mostly on foreign players for the skill.

17 minutes ago, PELE said:

I think Burnley are just a better team than Aberdeen. My point was, coaches should stop obsessing about a players hieght and build. Skill is what matters, not height. English teams are the worst in the world for it. They pack their teams full of big lumps and rely mostly on foreign players for the skill.

On the evidence of the two games, they were not better with a capital B. To my eyes though it looked at times like a men v boys game such was the difference in stature of the two sets of teams. Aberdeen gave a really good account of themselves.

The English lower leagues are packed full of hammer throwers. The skilful players, once marginalised, seem to drift up here.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

I'M GONNA SAY IT, HOLD ME BACK BOYS!

f**k THE 'BIG TEAMS'

f**k THEIR MANAGERS

f**k COLT TEAMS IN THE PYRAMID

For a view that is much more nuanced yet just as condeming, give this a read; http://argyle.life/analysis/b-team-myth/

Angry swearing and capital letters, its all gone a bit brexity in here.

On 04/01/2019 at 12:45, Ross Forbes said:

One of two things going on here. Either this is dead, and Celtic are going to make Shamrock a proxy-Colt side - albeit one playing abroad. Or it's all a bluff to try and force the SPFL into shoehorning this through. 

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0104/1020258-celtic-eyeing-up-investment-in-shamrock-rovers/

Well, at least Rovers wouldn't need to supply the Celtic loanees with jerseys...

On 05/01/2019 at 22:27, cmontheloknow said:

On the evidence of the two games, they were not better with a capital B. To my eyes though it looked at times like a men v boys game such was the difference in stature of the two sets of teams. Aberdeen gave a really good account of themselves.

The English lower leagues are packed full of hammer throwers. The skilful players, once marginalised, seem to drift up here.

I’d say this is fair. I was at the game at Pittodrie and what struck me what the size of all the Burnley players. However, they tried to play more football than normal. They were arrogant as they assumed they could out football Aberdeen - they were wrong as they simply weren’t good enough. They then brought Vokes on and hit him long with everything and Aberdeen couldn’t deal with it. 

• 1 month later...

Surely this can’t go ahead as the top 4 teams in the Lowland League, plus Cove in the Highland League, all play on artificial surfaces. The PFA & old firm wouldn’t risk the lives of their most talented young players by making them play on “dangerous” surfaces. You’ll be lucky if any of the youngsters are still able to walk by the time they’re 20…

Life's not changed much...an excerpt from one of QP's recent digital programmes from the Forties. Clyde fans will go further back and tell you that their "home" of Shawfield was in fact their second stadium. the first sat on the north bank of the Clyde in what would now be Dalmarnock.  Formed in 1877, their local support had diminshed from 1888 when a club was formed  by a priest in nearby Barrowfield and the large Irish immigrant community decided to hitch up there. At the turn of the century, with the lease of their land up for renewal, they decided to migrate south over the newly built Rutherglen Bridge to relative safety. Money and power have been running the game for over a century. 

image.png.022cdd4f816de905a2c7ae48ceb88953.png

They would also be allowed to be promoted as high as the championship, I can see the Highland and Lowland teams going for it as they'd be in the SPFL ladder plus getting some extra gate money from the pseudo ugly sisters fans coming along to see the colt teams and they'll probably offer clubs monetary incentives to get it done but I hope it will be binned. 

Edited by Only one David Marsh

But other than that you are quite supportive of the idea?  [emoji38]
Just sick of the constant recycling of a concept that has been roundly rejected. And its is the concept thats important here.

This is ALWAYS going to rear its head as the same turd, just wrapped up in differemt clothing.

But other than that you are quite supportive of the idea?  [emoji38]
Just sick of the constant recycling of a concept that has been roundly rejected. And its is the concept thats important here.

This is ALWAYS going to rear its head as the same turd, just wrapped up in differemt clothing.