Old Firm Colts in L2

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If clubs are failing to bring through young talent why do you think Celtic feel the need for colt teams in league 2?
There is nothing better to see for fans than one of your own playing in the first team.

They don't feel the need for colt teams in League Two. 

They feel the need for a Celtic colt team in League Two. 

This has nothing to do with the Scotland national team and everything to with the development of young players at two teams. 

4 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

This has nothing to do with the Scotland national team and everything to with the development of young players at two teams. 

No i have already said if it was the jags colt team going into league 2 for the 2 year pilot scheme i would support it.

8 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Let me put this another way if clubs where producing enough young talent there wouldn't be a fecking proposal.
To say Celtic don't care about the national team is utter nonsense.
If Celtic win the league with games to spare you will see more game time for the youth players. 

depends what level of talent you deem as "change required". Queen of the south has produced 5 or 6 players capable of playing in the premier league/playing at larger clubs than our own. Other players obviously haven't been good enough to progress further. But that's life. A lot of people bleat on about the national team and how important it is but there will always be a national team. Our clubs are the ones that can die. And I actually care about the national team and hope they do well but equally if they finish last in every campaign oh well. The proposal is not needed and is about what I said earlier or to further stretch unfairly the gap between yourselves and the rest of Scottish football. 

17 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Plus it's a disgrace that Liam Lindsay didn't get a cap while playing with the jags.

11 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

No i have already said if it was the jags colt team going into league 2 for the 2 year pilot scheme i would support it.

Well good for you but your support for what would still be a bad idea has no relevance at all to my point. 

Celtic aren't interested in colt teams in League Two. They are interested in a Celtic colt side in League Two. That's why the proposal effectively places barriers in place of a colt side outside the old firm entering League Two. 

5 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

Well good for you but your support for what would still be a bad idea has no relevance at all to my point. 

Celtic aren't interested in colt teams in League Two. They are interested in a Celtic colt side in League Two. That's why the proposal effectively places barriers in place of a colt side outside the old firm entering League Two. 

Celtic have the resources to make it happen,there is a dearth of young talent in Scotland and it needs to get fixed.
The proposal also talks about future reconstruction to the leagues and the review of the loan system.
Fans say the money offered is a bribe,if it helps bring in one or two more players to the clubs i don't see it as a bribe but they could also piss that dosh up against the wall.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If clubs are failing to bring through young talent why do you think Celtic feel the need for colt teams in league 2?
There is nothing better to see for fans than one of your own playing in the first team.

To further their agenda and Rangers agenda. That's the only reason the Glasgow lovers feel the need to have Colts.

Was watching a game at the weekend cant remember if it was here or down south but it mentioned that a particular player was on a clubs books aged 8, don't think is particularly unusual now but could it be kids getting signed by clubs so early affects their development. Hibee Jibee may know but were the rules for signing kids changed a few years back meaning if they were signed to club they could not play games for their school etc, as I say not sure if this is the case but being put under the pressure of wanting a contract without being able to just play for the fun of it must stifle developing natural talent, producing robots with little skill is the result of clubs grabbing kids too early.

Celtic don't have the resources to make it happen, they just like to think they are gods gift to scottish football rather than the root cause of all its ills. Lets be perfectly honest, if all teams got the crowds that they historically got then all teams would have more wealth to potentially spend on youth development. However as scottish football has become more and more dominated by the old firm, the rest of scottish football has seen their crowds drop, the standard of football drop and the cost of the pleasure of going to games increase. Now we are getting told to accept more interference and dilution of standards so that the old firm can interfere more. Quite frankly doing so will see whats left of local supports wither and die and the old firm finally getting what they wanted all along, the chance to move to another league where they can play teams that match their "status" 

6 minutes ago, Bazil85 said:

Would probably say the same about big Chris though wouldn't you when he was a 23 year old playing for Cheltenham town? 

Well, aye. But IMO Iwelumo shouldn't have been anywhere near the Scotland team. 2 caps and one miss which will live in the memory of every Scotland fan would suggest that view is correct.

We may well appoint a numpty like Burley again in the future and someone who isn't good enough like Reilly might make it into a squad, I have very high doubts of that happening though.

5 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Let me put this another way if clubs where producing enough young talent there wouldn't be a fecking proposal.
To say Celtic don't care about the national team is utter nonsense.
If Celtic win the league with games to spare you will see more game time for the youth players. 

could you tell me when clubs at the lowest level of the national league set up have ever produced internationals regularly? It's a totally different discourse altogether.

Our last international played in the nineteenth century. We have a youth system that has produced, in recent times, Martin Boyle (Hibs) and Aaron Taylor-Sinclair (Partick Th, but never really made it down south).

This is not an argument for Colt teams, by the way. No one can be bothered taking you seriously and the thread has degenerated into a boring game of whack-a-mole. The proposal is shit, fan opposition has -for now- sunk it- come back with something better, preferably not involving parachuting in your youth team just because "we're the Old Firm".

Or, alternatively, let everyone sit down and come up with a plan, overseen by, well, y'know, the game's ruling authorities, not this back-of-a-fag-packet-bollocks punted by your under-18 coaches, or whoever they are, designed to benefit the gruesome twosome at everyone else's expense.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 14:09, percyboy said:

Elgin City chairman wrote in yesterday's programme "it would seem that the majority of the league 2 clubs (including Elgin City) are not supporting the idea.

Unfortunately I missed Saturday's match. The Cowden programme was due to provide a comment on the Colt's proposal: can Cowdenbeath or CC oblige please?

3 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I have already asked you once what fecking agenda?
Celtic have been at the top of Scottish football since 19 oatcake.

It's an agenda to improve their youth players without using the loan market. a team full of young players they can monitor developing that bit easier and train the way they want. A few might make the first team the others can be sold on for money. That won't turn 20 year olds playing league 2 players into world cup stars but it will certainly be financially profitable even if two or three end up good enough either for Celtic or to be sold to lower level English clubs.

It's a clear agenda to improve and streamline the Glasgow lovers youth structure. What other possible reason do they have for it? Just because they're such nice people at these clubs they want to help everyone else out?  Please if that was the case where is the rule that all players have to be Scottish?

It's the sudden touching concern for the "state of the national team" that annoys me the most. Blatant hypocrisy. The national team went down the grubber, coincidentally, with the intorduction of the "SPL"- designed to concentrate much more money in the hands of fewer clubs.

Scottish football has yet to recover from that and has since spent its time implementing shit ideas from down south a few years after the fact.

Just now, Ivo den Bieman said:

It's the sudden touching concern for the "state of the national team" that annoys me the most. Blatant hypocrisy. The national team went down the grubber, coincidentally, with the intorduction of the "SPL"- designed to concentrate much more money in the hands of fewer clubs.

Scottish football has yet to recover from that and has since spent its time implementing shit ideas from down south a few years after the fact.

Spot on. Sudden concern about not qualifying for World Cups & the like, even when we did qualify when did we ever last more than 3 group games before heading for home. Would love to see Scotland do well but in reality  we are there to make up the numbers & the only thing we would be able to provide in a tournament is the long suffering Tartan Army for some fun & that one golden Archie Gemmill moment.  As for the Self Preservation League they are well named.