Old Firm Colts in L2

I don't know if someone has already asked, but will the colt teams consist of only players who can represent Scotland? Will there be anything in place to make sure they can't qualify for other nations via the grandparent rule? Do they sign a contract forgoing any other international team?

How about L2 sides having youth teams in the Premiership? Obviously no relegation.

Fantastic idea. It'll improve crowds and bring in some more money for the diddy Premiership sides, like Ranjurs. Maybe we could bribe them see if that works?

Which we all know, based on some of the twisted "logic" of those behind this whole idea, means the following? :lol:
L2 youth teams in Premiership > L2 colt players in Premiership pumped 20-0 for half a season > L2 youths will be placed back in their first teams > L2 youths now brimming with confidence after weekly pastings to play the Colts in L2 > Premiership Colts now face better opposition > World Cup triumph we've all been craving.
Shows just how stupid the actual proposal is.

If only I had more chance of Charles I’d give you 2 greens. I think, looking back, Dave Larter could have lifted the WC, if only MFC colts had access to the SPL (as was at that time). We both know that both ideas are completely preposterous.

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Then the trickle down effect takes place with players going on to play at a decent level with other clubs.

2 hours ago, sjc said:

Why doesn't it happen enough at present then?

^^^^ Exactly this.

the numbers don't stack up.

Celtic or Rangers each with a 20 strong squad of youngsters will lose on average maybe 7 or 8 players each year due to their age. (20/21?)  The really good ones will already be in the first team squad by age 18/19 (the Tierney's and McCrorie's etc).

Can Rangers and Celtic keep those 7 or 8 every year?  They'll need to keep offering contracts at improved terms to those still under 23 or they could miss out on a potential transfer fee up until that age - so, they may have to bite the bullet, offer a deal and then put the player out on loan until they turn 23.   They'll also still sign the occasional rough diamonds that are uncovered by the likes of Hamilton or St Mirren etc.

Meanwhile the 7 or 8 leaving each club will be used to full-time football and will be on wages that many in L1 or L2 (even championship) won't be able to match.  So we've up 16 ex old firm youngsters to find a home for each year - on top of a similar amount of youngsters who have been deemed too old but not good enough at every other Premiership and Championship team who will continue to run youth teams.  

Meanwhile Anne Budge et al are still looking to reduce the number of "senior" clubs leaving even fewer homes to place these jobbing youngsters/future internationals.

Or they might all be shipped off to clubs that can afford them in the lower English leagues, enhancing the English game and leaving the Scottish leagues to limp on.  But hey, the Old Firm will manage to get their youngsters ready to play at a lower level and continue to demand transfer fees from England for them...and the Scottish National team can be selecting more players than ever from the lower leagues in England.  Everyone* wins.

*Everyone = Celtic and Rangers 

Exactly this.

Its like someone offering you money to sleep with your wife/ girlfriend.

Most  of us have an amount of money that if offered we couldn't turn down and wiuld be lifechanging  and secure financial stability in the future etc.

That amount of money offered doesn't change the fact that it is a grubby,  immoral and thoroughly unpleasant thing to propose.

You're going to have to make a decent offer if you want me to sleep with the wife...

2 hours ago, dee_62 said:

^^^^ Exactly this.

the numbers don't stack up.

Celtic or Rangers each with a 20 strong squad of youngsters will lose on average maybe 7 or 8 players each year due to their age. (20/21?)  The really good ones will already be in the first team squad by age 18/19 (the Tierney's and McCrorie's etc).

Can Rangers and Celtic keep those 7 or 8 every year?  They'll need to keep offering contracts at improved terms to those still under 23 or they could miss out on a potential transfer fee up until that age - so, they may have to bite the bullet, offer a deal and then put the player out on loan until they turn 23.   They'll also still sign the occasional rough diamonds that are uncovered by the likes of Hamilton or St Mirren etc.

Meanwhile the 7 or 8 leaving each club will be used to full-time football and will be on wages that many in L1 or L2 (even championship) won't be able to match.  So we've up 16 ex old firm youngsters to find a home for each year - on top of a similar amount of youngsters who have been deemed too old but not good enough at every other Premiership and Championship team who will continue to run youth teams.  

Meanwhile Anne Budge et al are still looking to reduce the number of "senior" clubs leaving even fewer homes to place these jobbing youngsters/future internationals.

Or they might all be shipped off to clubs that can afford them in the lower English leagues, enhancing the English game and leaving the Scottish leagues to limp on.  But hey, the Old Firm will manage to get their youngsters ready to play at a lower level and continue to demand transfer fees from England for them...and the Scottish National team can be selecting more players than ever from the lower leagues in England.  Everyone* wins.

*Everyone = Celtic and Rangers 

see page 95 for the answer. but good post

Edited by wastecoatwilly

23 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Or you can pretend you are a paragon of Corinthian values and sporting integrity.

Thinking a bribe should be rejected no matter the figure = paragon of Corinthian values and sporting integrity

22 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Clubs can readily understand that it will be a 1 or 2 year boost perhaps but with sound planning...

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

22 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Sorry - if you don't want a debate or any thought then just sit as nodding 'yes men' agreeing with each other and shouting about the Old Firm.  I am afraid I have become bored with the kneejerk knockers

If you agree with someone then it's not a debate. If you're on the same side as the rest of us then why have you wasted so much time making arguments for the other side?

It's nice to see this page calm down a wee bit. Lots of fan pressure seems to have put Rangers and Celtic in their place in regards to the ridiculous Colt plan. Far too much of the tail wagging the dog in Scottish football with pandering to the Bigot Brothers. Hopefully they've taken the hint though and that's the deal dead forever more. 

Now how do we get the ugly sisters completely out of Scotland? lol 

It's nice to see this page calm down a wee bit. Lots of fan pressure seems to have put Rangers and Celtic in their place in regards to the ridiculous Colt plan. Far too much of the tail wagging the dog in Scottish football with pandering to the Bigot Brothers. Hopefully they've taken the hint though and that's the deal dead forever more. 

Get every club to resign from the spfl and start a new league...easy.

3 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

Know where you're coming from Baz, but that would be taking a lot of money out of our game if that were to happen (drastically reduced TV revenues, SPFL away fans income which trickles all the way down via transfers and loans) so I'd be careful what you wish for there mate; as attractive as the concept initially seems.

18 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Get every club to resign from the spfl and start a new league...easy.

15 hours ago, The Spider said:

Know where you're coming from Baz, but that would be taking a lot of money out of our game if that were to happen (drastically reduced TV revenues, SPFL away fans income which trickles all the way down via transfers and loans) so I'd be careful what you wish for there mate; as attractive as the concept initially seems.

What I'd say is that clubs would adapt. Wales and Northern Ireland maintain professional leagues (granted with part-time clubs) Wales as an example has 44 teams over two tiers. I personally don't care about the money, if players are good enough and apply themselves enough they will forge a career in football with or without Rangers and Celtic. Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, the Dundees plus a number of other teams would likely see attendance surges over the years when competition returns and ticket prices reflect the sport. That's what football is all about for me. I'd happily have every game on at 3pm on a Saturday with no TV money and clubs having to adjust to the financial picture. I also picture other benefits: 

• Less money will result in the need for the other bigger teams to play more Scottish youngsters
  • Those teams will still likely maintain good training and coaching systems to better support these players
  • Competition in itself will spark more interest with neutrals, a lot of people outside Scotland have lost all interest in our one horse race/ coin toss league 
  • That's reflected in current TV deals which will only likely get poorer given the competition from other leagues. Jump before we're pushed sort of thing 
  • Playing in EPL/ Atlantic league format will allow Rangers and Celtic to better reach their financial potential. Majority of youth players coming through will still be Scottish which would benefit international team 
  • Reverse the glory hunting trends potentially at a low level with maybe some fans adopting a Scottish team to support over Rangers and Celtic 
  • Shouldn't have an impact on good players, if you're good enough and put in the effort to improve then big clubs will be interested. 

I guess to summarize, the only concern I really see is a financial one. Unfortunately modern football is a corporate monster and that's all that's important for big leagues and big teams. In Scotland we're not a big league we just happen to have two teams with big club potential.  I'd take competition and sporting integrity over money everyday of the week. 

3 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

What I'd say is that clubs would adapt. Wales and Northern Ireland maintain professional leagues (granted with part-time clubs) Wales as an example has 44 teams over two tiers. I personally don't care about the money, if players are good enough and apply themselves enough they will forge a career in football with or without Rangers and Celtic. Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, the Dundees plus a number of other teams would likely see attendance surges over the years when competition returns and ticket prices reflect the sport. That's what football is all about for me. I'd happily have every game on at 3pm on a Saturday with no TV money and clubs having to adjust to the financial picture. I also picture other benefits: 

• Less money will result in the need for the other bigger teams to play more Scottish youngsters
  • Those teams will still likely maintain good training and coaching systems to better support these players
  • Competition in itself will spark more interest with neutrals, a lot of people outside Scotland have lost all interest in our one horse race/ coin toss league 
  • That's reflected in current TV deals which will only likely get poorer given the competition from other leagues. Jump before we're pushed sort of thing 
  • Playing in EPL/ Atlantic league format will allow Rangers and Celtic to better reach their financial potential. Majority of youth players coming through will still be Scottish which would benefit international team 
  • Reverse the glory hunting trends potentially at a low level with maybe some fans adopting a Scottish team to support over Rangers and Celtic 
  • Shouldn't have an impact on good players, if you're good enough and put in the effort to improve then big clubs will be interested. 

I guess to summarize, the only concern I really see is a financial one. Unfortunately modern football is a corporate monster and that's all that's important for big leagues and big teams. In Scotland we're not a big league we just happen to have two teams with big club potential.  I'd take competition and sporting integrity over money everyday of the week. 

Got to admire your idealism, but my fear would be that much less finance = less players per club (Scottish players or otherwise), a poorer spectacle for spectators, some fans missing the excitement of their eight Old Firm games and using their season ticket money to buy Sky subscriptions instead, and some clubs at the bottom of L2 going out of business. Can't believe I'm saying this, but even if that was just Clyde, it would still be a bad thing for our game.

Brendan Rodgers today saying its "irresponsible" to make "young players who aren't physically ready regularly play against grown men", while talking about Scott Brown crippling a 16yo.
Absolutely tremendous timing.  

:lol:

Think what a big old League 2 clogger could do. Death on the cards if this idea went through.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Brendan Rodgers today saying its "irresponsible" to make "young players who aren't physically ready regularly play against grown men", while talking about Scott Brown crippling a 16yo.

Absolutely tremendous timing.  

I mentioned that yesterday when I seen it on twitter. Can imagine Chris McCart wouldn’t have been too chuffed. :lol: