Old Firm Colts in L2

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Elgin just said that somebody had contacted them from Celtic three weeks ago? How do you know there wasn’t an invitation to this supposed meeting in that email?

On the bottom of that proposal that was sent to Elgin three weeks ago it says that the next steps are for a Rangers rep Craig Mullholland and a Celtic rep Chris McCart were to meet with all League 2 clubs and the SPFL, this is what the Daily Record are reporting happened last weekend.

Not sure why you’re arguing over this anyway.

To be factual - there is a proposal document (you see it on Elgin site) and it says at the bottom next step is Celtic & Rangers guy meet with League 2 clubs and feedback to SPFL.  Then what happens in most cases is one of those guys arranges to meet or speak to you and provides this document for you too look at.  You chat about it, give some initial thoughts and reaction, and take document away (probably consulting your board) then give your club feedback by e-mail or phone or perhaps f2f depending on location.  There is no big all players in a smoky room style sit down other than in the imagination of some parties. 

To be factual - there is a proposal document (you see it on Elgin site) and it says at the bottom next step is Celtic & Rangers guy meet with League 2 clubs and feedback to SPFL.  Then what happens in most cases is one of those guys arranges to meet or speak to you and provides this document for you too look at.  You chat about it, give some initial thoughts and reaction, and take document away (probably consulting your board) then give your club feedback by e-mail or phone or perhaps f2f depending on location.  There is no big all players in a smoky room style sit down other than in the imagination of some parties. 

You start your post off with a to be factual and then in the 2nd paragraph you’re just having a complete guess at what has happened here on this occasion.

I’m not one for believing rags like the Daily Record but they’re certainly just as credible as you.

You start your post off with a to be factual and then in the 2nd paragraph you’re just having a complete guess at what has happened here on this occasion.

I’m not one for believing rags like the Daily Record but they’re certainly just as credible as you.

Well I know exactly what happened at several clubs I suspect you have no idea

On 23/01/2018 at 20:25, dee_62 said:

I still think playing *with* these seasoned pros would teach the youngsters much more than playing in a team of youngsters *against* the pros.

I'm only catching up on this thread but this is bang on. I'm fucked if I can remember who I was talking to last weekend but they'd come through the system at Hibs in the days when the reserve league was up and running. As youngsters, they were regularly playing alongside first team players who were getting game time under their belt as they came back from injury or suspension. Whoever it was, played alongside Gordon Hunter as a centre back. Now, big Hunter was never the most gifted but he was no mug either and the one thing I took from the conversation was how much they learned by playing alongside a guy who had made a decent career. And there was a genuine opportunity if you were good enough.

There is a chasm between most development squads and the standards Scotland needs at the top. You might get the odd late developer but most of the real potential is already kicking about the first team squad. And if they're not quite at that level, they're on loan in the Championship where they'll get a proper chance to develop. Punting a load of weans into the bottom league is a fucking joke if the expectation is they'll drive up standards. They won't. My club has had quite a few young lads through the door on loan from lower league development squads and a good number are just not physically ready to play and they've not been good enough - with very occasional exceptions - to get in the team. 

The answer is to be honest with these boys and let them find their level. It's not to kid on that League 2 is a panacea. It's ANOTHER example of rife self interest in Scottish football - in this case from those who already hoover up almost all of the cash. 

There's a statement on the City website 

"The Club has received a paper outlining initial proposals to admit Colt Teams into League 2 with a view to implementing a two year pilot in season 2018/19.  The Board of Directors discussed the contents of the paper at last night’s scheduled Board meeting and will continue to consider its position whilst it awaits receipt of a formal proposal on the matter

Any Edinburgh City FC supporters who wish to comment on the matter may do so by emailing admin@edinburghcityfc.com"

I would trust any City supporters e-mailing our Board will be polite and constructive in regard to what are just proposals at the moment.  

Elgin City have been good enough to provide the document for viewing on their website; 

http://www.elgincity.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Colt-teams-Jan-18.pdf

Edited by tamthebam
link to document added

2 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

They probably didn’t consult Cowdenbeath because you diddies will be in the lowland league next season. emoji41.png

It is interesting that the only club's fans who seem to be leaning in favour of this are Cowdenbeath, from the small P&B sample. You'd have thought they might expect to get promoted back in again at some point.

It is interesting that the only club's fans who seem to be leaning in favour of this are Cowdenbeath, from the small P&B sample. You'd have thought they might expect to get promoted back in again at some point.

Tbf it only seems to be Cowden Cowboy who's in favour of it. Although wouldn't be shocked if a couple more were in favour.

WELL DONE ANNAN ATHLETIC

COLT TEAMS IN LEAGUE 2.
No doubt supporters and members of Annan Athletic FC will have heard of the proposal to trial the inclusion of Rangers and Celtic Colts ...teams in SPFL Division 2.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42793072

The board at Annan have discussed this and at this time are not minded to support the proposal.

We would like the views of our supporters and members on this and you can give us your opinion by e-mail to annanathletic.enquiries@btconnect.com.

We will use any responses to aid our thinking should this come to a formal proposal which requires a vote at SPFL level.

Edited by Galabankie