Old Firm Colts in L2

This will be a tricky one but the lower league clubs would have to vote in favour for this to happen as this is an SPFL matter. Money will then come into play as that will be the means of persuasion. If SPFL 1 & 2 teams don't come on board then danger is Lowland League clubs could be persuaded. Little downside for them and a big chance of increased media exposure and a slug of cash - result is they are strengthened and thus more likely to be able to get into SPFL at the expense of existing SPFL clubs who don't have this new 'subsidy'.

If LL were to accept them how easy would a no B teams rule to put in for the spfl? Require 11 premiership clubs to approve?

2 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

Exactly, Hearts Ann Budge says there are too many teams then her right hand man Levein is part of operation Brave and wants OF teams in. I suspect in time Hearts and Hibs will be added to the discussion. 

Coupled with the cull of academies proposed which will leave these 4 as the only top academies, it is obvious this is one of the greatest and corrupt operations ever mounted and will destroy Scottish football as we know it. Remember Regan has stated there will be no vote on this by member clubs.

we should get organised to fight this as there will be no support from the mainstream media.

A few years ago there was a lot of concern over throwing young players in too early against seasoned pros and semi pros as this can undermine the young players development if they are continually targeted as the weak link. I've seen evidence of this in the HL where talented young players are played far too early and the opposition target them as a weakness and they end up being bullied about the pitch. It makes little difference that the youngster has twice the talent than the older players at lower level there is less time on the ball and players tend to man mark tighter instead of closing down space which leads to a more physical game especially in midfield.

I really don't see how even Celtic or Rangers can benefit from having colt teams when the majority of these players will be freed to end up in the lower two SPFL or in the LL or Juniors as they do now. Maybe one or two might just be good enough but those two clubs once the arms race gets going again would rather buy players in instead of waiting for young players to mature. Its helping no one other than a feeble excuse by the blazers that they are being seen to do something about bringing the best young players through, as if our future Scotland Internationals only come from Celtic or Rangers.

Colt teams would do nothing for the other teams in the lower two league either and its unfair that colt teams are fast tracked into the SPFL when there are ambitious clubs in both HL and LL who have put in the hard work improving their ground standards and their squads to try and better themselves. Adding two more places in League 2 makes no difference, this is blatant favouritism. It sums up what is wrong with Scottish football in a nutshell when the Leagues can be dictated to and have no say in the matter after all the positive steps forward over the last 4 years it looks like its all going to be undone by SFA interference. Of course no one pays the blindest bit of notice to what the supporters want either.

3 minutes ago, CityDave said:

A few years ago there was a lot of concern over throwing young players in too early against seasoned pros and semi pros as this can undermine the young players development if they are continually targeted as the weak link. I've seen evidence of this in the HL where talented young players are played far too early and the opposition target them as a weakness and they end up being bullied about the pitch. It makes little difference that the youngster has twice the talent than the older players at lower level there is less time on the ball and players tend to man mark tighter instead of closing down space which leads to a more physical game especially in midfield.

you can't target 11 of them

14 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I see that the old firm offered to play all games away from home.

Good for them, passing on all match day expenditure onto the other clubs. Perhaps they already know that there is no appetite for colts in the lower leagues and will cost clubs money.

This idea was abandoned due to concerns about the integrity of the league emoji23.png

We played Celtic colts in Irn Bru cup

Crowd 449 - cash cow indeed !   Not worth it considering they spent the whole game moaning every time one of the precious darlings was tackled.

I don't think adding B teams into the mix would be the death of Scottish football as some doomongers have said. However, I would not put them into League 2. It should be below the LL level as part of a further restructure at Tier 6. Realistically we are talking 5-6 teams potentially spread across different leagues. There may even be financial benefits for the clubs in these leagues with increased sponsorship, crowds etc.

Many countries operate the B team system. I don't see why Scotland thinks its different!

10 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

We played Celtic colts in Irn Bru cup

Crowd 449 - cash cow indeed !   Not worth it considering they spent the whole game moaning every time one of the precious darlings was tackled.

about 25% more than you got for your next home match

17 minutes ago, edinabear said:

I don't think adding B teams into the mix would be the death of Scottish football as some doomongers have said. However, I would not put them into League 2. It should be below the LL level as part of a further restructure at Tier 6. Realistically we are talking 5-6 teams potentially spread across different leagues. There may even be financial benefits for the clubs in these leagues with increased sponsorship, crowds etc.

Many countries operate the B team system. I don't see why Scotland thinks its different!

Because it's designed to benefit 2/42 clubs in the country. No one else. 

1 hour ago, tescodave said:

Works abroad. More clubs have teams but in essence this is the idea. I'd suggest it's the fans backwardness and resistance to change that holds the nation back more than anything else.

You support berwick therefore your opinion is irrelevant.

They won't rest until this is forced through.

If it happens, game really is fucked. It's not about conservative resistance to change; it's about the whole game's infrastructure being skewed to benefit the two biggest clubs at everyone else's expense; it's about introducing a measure that demonstrably will have very little impact on improving Scotland's standing internationally or in European competition. It's a laughing stock idea, in fact.

I'm pretty estranged from the SPFL "product" these days; if this is forced through then it will be a full divorce. And I will be far from the only one in that position. I have no interest in watching glorified reserve team football as part of an allegedly "national" set up.

Did anyone look at the reaction to the colt teams playing in the cup?

Very few fans, if any, at that level were supportive. Many turned their backs on the games. It cost many teams money to host them.

Crowds were poor, very few old firm fans attended.

Lower league teams put out weaker squads (Clyde put up our U20s).

It basically ruined that cup tournament.

Well done to the Scottish football hierarchy.

Now they want to ruin lower league football for the benefit of two teams.

Anyone paying the slightest bit of attention knew this was coming. Some people said when they were drafted into the Challenge Cup that it was just for that competition but people with a lick of common sense could tell getting the 'Colt' sides into the league was the primary aim.

If this gets voted through then I'm done with Scottish football. Get this idea, Mackay, Regan, the SPFL and the SFA so far to f**k.

1 hour ago, CityDave said:

To think just a couple of months ago some all knowing mouth pieces were slavering on about there being too many teams in the Scottish Leagues.

Well they obviously meant holding companies, you can never have too many OF teams.