Veganism

jamamafegan

11 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Mate of mine's wife is like that - any meal spent in her company is accompanied by the background drone of her attempts to proselytise her worldview.

For a quiet life, he's decided to go veggie too...or so she thinks. Any time he's out without her in tow he basically turns into Ted Nugent - couple of pints in and he's eating his bodyweight in doner meat.

Sounds like he just needs a less crap wife. Why stay with someone that ultimately harasses you that much?

A mate of mine once said he was going to Salsa dancing lessons. When we laughed at this and asked him why he was doing such a thing he said "happy wife, quiet life". I pointed out that in no universe ever, has anyone that is not already predisposed to attending such, ever thought that going to salsa dancing lessons remotely equated to a "quiet life".

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting to hear people say "there isn't anything wrong with eating meat." There defintely is.

Eating meat is worse for the environment than driving your car for example. Swaths of land are cleared for feeding animals. They are fed tons of food which takes tons of water. They produce tons of methane which contributes to climate change.

I'm no vegan but I can defintely understand why they have gone down that path. Gone are the days of hunting. Eating meat has reached unsustainable levels in the western world.

Weve been eating meat for 2 million years and farming for tens of thousands of years. Man made climate change started after the industrial revolution not when some primate set fire to a bit of meat. Besides the land cleared for farming of fruit vegetables n wheat crops is equally as bad environmentally as land set aside for grazing. If we werent eating animals there would still be animals creating methane. At least we made mammoths extinct.....a herd of them would be worse than the population of Dundee for methane emissions.( that may not be statistcally accurate ).

Weve been eating meat for 2 million years and farming for tens of thousands of years. Man made climate change started after the industrial revolution not when some primate set fire to a bit of meat.

You're missing the point. How much beef did humans consume only 100 years ago? I'd say our consumption of beef has exploded in this timescale. It is readily available in supermarkets and it is the main meat of choice in most fast food joints. It's a massive money maker and huge numbers of cows are required to meet our demands. Think how much they must eat in the US alone! To nurture the cows requires a monumental amount of resources such as land, feed and water. It's not doing the planet any good IMO.

You're missing the point. How much beef did humans consume only 100 years ago? I'd say our consumption of beef has exploded in this timescale. It is readily available in supermarkets and it is the main meat of choice in most fast food joints. It's a massive money maker and huge numbers of cows are required to meet our demands. Think how much they must eat in the US alone! To nurture the cows requires a monumental amount of resources such as land, feed and water. It's not doing the planet any good IMO.

And how much land is cleared and drained for crops? How many chemicals added to land to fertilise fields, how much pesticides used? How many natural habitats and species have been lost to non meat farming? Rice n wheat production is also enormous but noone is campaigning to see our consumption of that stopped. Eta theres also huge environmental impact from the farming vehicles the processing plants and the transport of these products to supermarkets. Vegans are every bit as damaging to the environment as carnivores.

1 minute ago, jamamafegan said:

My in laws live in Alabama in the deep south of the states.   The food quality is awful there because they don't enjoy the moderate climate which is essential for excellent meat. That's why they need to come up with glazes and pulled pork sauces.   The Indian Curry market was born out of making average meat more pleasurable. 

I took them to one of the many Perthshire restaurants and they utterly loved the food quality we have on our door step.   Beef, Chicken, Fish, Venison, Scallops.   

Scotland, and the climate here with ensure out top table position in the league of food exports.   

8 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Beef is fucking delicious. f**k the planet.

I actually forgot there was a vegan in my department until yesterday, she only went vegan last year but enjoys kopparberg's fruit cider. I don't have the heart to tell her the label says not suitable for vegetarians or vegans.

Calling French toast "eggy dip dip" is on a par with whoever it was on here that called tomato soup tommy soup.  

Agree, it's quite clearly eggy bread as its neither French nor toasted

I just love a veggie brekkie - eggs, beans, hash browns, grilled tomato, tattie scone, mushrooms...

Throw in a couple of Richmond sausages, a couple rashers of back bacon (unsmoked) bit of Speyside black pudding and hey presto - The Perfect Breakfast.

:)

Archived