Veganism

jamamafegan

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been vegetarian since January for health reasons solely. 

I read up on the amount of cholesterol, saturated fat and other acids like Methionine that promotes cancer meat has.  I've noticed I no longer get chest pains after I run, I'm leaner now and I have far more energy.  Meat used to make me bloated and stuffed and I lacked energy.

Each to their own as others have said.  I'd never tell someone what they should and shouldn't eat.

Veggies are sound but a lot of vegans are total c***s, well the vegans I have met and seen on twitter and facebook.

First of all they have to tell you about 100 times that they are vegan.

Then some compare you to the devil for continuing to eat meat after watching those videos.

Arseholes.

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Horrific patter.

In fairness, the moral argument against eating meat is bullshit. It's anthropomorphic arrogance. All living things must consume other living things to survive, whether that living thing has a face or not, looks cute or not makes no fundamental difference, vegans still live off of living matter as much as anyone.

The logistical argument for veganism, or at least eschewing red meat is increasingly unanswerable. Cows take up huge amounts of arable land to take care of and contribute to greenhouse gases. On the other hand, we waste vast tonnages of food every year, so I'm not totally convinced that we are in a place where we couldn't make far more efficient use of the food supply as it is, without resorting to a carrot and lentil diet.

I'd struggle to give up meat, but I think I'd cope; I'd just rather not. Giving up eggs or cheese would be impossible though.

Purely out of environmental concerns I try to eat less meat than I used to, cut back on beef quite a bit, but I do still eat a lot. In cases where the vegetarian substitute for meat is perfectly good I'll use that instead - for example I genuinely couldn't tell the difference if you put down a meal made with veggie mince rather than real mince, so I'll happily use the vegetarian stuff. If I'm having chicken though, there's no chance I'm going near some rubbery substitute.

I'm pretty sure if you traced many fruits and vegetables back to source, you'd find some kind of "unethical" treatment of animals.

Absolutely this. Do they really that arable farms don't protect their crops from rodents and wild animals? They probably need to ask how many small animals and their habitats are crushed by farm vehicles. Or if the rainforest clearing to grow soya is more moral than that cleared for cattle.

Am I the only one on this thread who has never met a vegan?

Are you just assuming you haven't met one because nobody has ever told you they were a vegan before? I suppose usually they never shut the f**k up about it.

Archived