Veganism

jamamafegan

I think it's fair to say that veganism is bigger than it's ever been before. More and more people are snubbing meats and animal products for veggies and plant products.

I've been away for the past year travelling and I've never met so many vegans in my life. I noticed that the first of those I met were drinking almond milk. "It's just like ordinary milk" they said.

No, it's not. It's shite, absolutely shite. Not a great start from those who want to persuade me to go vegan.

Why go vegan in the first place? To find out why, most vegans will tell you to watch the documentary "Cowspiracy." So I did just that and to be fair, it did change my perception of eating meat. The beef industry in particular is especially fucked up. It's certainly killing the planet. The documentary is worth a watch IMO. The guy in it is a bit of a sap though, he gets all upset when a farmer kills a duck. Thought that bit was stupid. Humans have been hunting since we walked the earth, so god help him if he's ever stuck in the wild and the thing between his life and death is an unfortunate Mallard.

Anyway, I love meat. Lots of people love meat. Vegans are constantly urging us to change. My Facebook feed is often littered with videos from the likes of PETA showing the horrors from inside slaughterhouses. They are very quick to show us scenes of animal cruelty - but never seem to provide any information on alternative plant diets to help people get started. I think the general consensus is that yeah, many animals are treated terribly before they end up in a packet - but what else am I going to eat?

What say you? Would you go vegan? Do we have any vegans on P&B? If so, what made you become one?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm vegetarian because I'm no too keen on the idea of animals being killed the way they are. The 'main' reason, however, is that I was brought up in a vegetarian family and when I ate meat for a few years, I eventually realised that it's shite and I don't even like it, so living without meat is no sacrifice for me.

I can't stand meat eaters who argue that we *need* to eat meat because it's something man has always done. In equal measures, I can't stand vegetarians/vegans who tell meat eaters they're murderous beats (keep pushing) and should change their sinful ways.

Some people eat meat, that's fine.

Some people don't eat meat, that is also fine.

I'd become a vegetarian/vegan as I think the way we treat animals is fucking horrific but I'm a fat b*****d and a shitey salad or meat substitute just doesn't fill me so that's that.

No problem with Veganism.   What offends me is the vast majority take absolutely no interest in their appearance, or changing clothes on a daily basis.  

Vegan and Thai restaurants are proving very popular in the major cities of the Europe, as people continue to turn away from Chinese fare.  

My ex burd wanted to pretend she was. She was one of those typical green party voting, art school attending, feminist weirdos who would use it it to claim some moral high ground, but struggled immensely to maintain it.

I could probably go vegetarian temporarily, never vegan though, not because of ethical reasons, but I've done it once or twice and I find my guts feel a lot better when I'm not eating red meat, especially since I've had a bowel operation before. If you do it right it can be not bad too, I could never just munch carrots or broccoli on their own.

I think the ethics of it are a bit daft given we all know that animals chomp each other and you are hard pressed to find anything without some sort of animal material as part of its production. I know the treatment of some animals is pretty shit, but if you want to live a life avoiding the use of any animal products then good luck wae that.

seems like a bit of a wanky hipster fad just now, wonder how many will still be vegan in 5 years time. no surprise to hear that someone whos been away traveling has met so many as they are exactly the kind of c***s I'd expect to be hearing this pish from. if you don't want to eat meat or animal products then fair enough that's up to you but what other group of people feels the need to tell everyone about their diet?

I think it's fair to say that veganism is bigger than it's ever been before. More and more people are snubbing meats and animal products for veggies and plant products.
I've been away for the past year travelling and I've never met so many vegans in my life. I noticed that the first of those I met were drinking almond milk. "It's just like ordinary milk" they said.
No, it's not. It's shite, absolutely shite. Not a great start from those who want to persuade me to go vegan.
Why go vegan in the first place? To find out why, most vegans will tell you to watch the documentary "Cowspiracy." So I did just that and to be fair, it did change my perception of eating meat. The beef industry in particular is especially fucked up. It's certainly killing the planet. The documentary is worth a watch IMO. The guy in it is a bit of a sap though, he gets all upset when a farmer kills a duck. Thought that bit was stupid. Humans have been hunting since we walked the earth, so god help him if he's ever stuck in the wild and the thing between his life and death is an unfortunate Mallard.
Anyway, I love meat. Lots of people love meat. Vegans are constantly urging us to change. My Facebook feed is often littered with videos from the likes of PETA showing the horrors from inside slaughterhouses. They are very quick to show us scenes of animal cruelty - but never seem to provide any information on alternative plant diets to help people get started. I think the general consensus is that yeah, many animals are treated terribly before they end up in a packet - but what else am I going to eat?
What say you? Would you go vegan? Do we have any vegans on P&B? If so, what made you become one?

I'm not vegan but I was genuinely moved when I watched the Gary Yurofsky video on YouTube.

Also, Cowspiracy is Earthlings for big jessies. Watch Earthlings, if you can.

10 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I love burgers, cheese, lasagne, chicken and milkshakes....but i have drastically lowered my animal product consumption and may lower it again further.... already using huel as my weekday daytime 'food'.

Unfortunately (IMO) environmental issues will not be resolved by cutting the human population by lowering the birthrate, so we are all (us in the north-west quarter of the world) going to have to change our lifestyles. 

No problem with veganism as such, they probably have a reasonably just cause for it.

Personally, I love meat too much to indulge but that's my choice.

Pet peeve though, my wife's best friend is vegan, lives in England. She came to visit us, I bought in loads of vegan food, cooked her a vegan breakfast and took her out to a vegan restaurant for dinner, because that's what you do for guests isn't it?

We go to visit her, we get served vegan food and taken to vegan restaurants. Not happy.

Vegans will be the first to turn to cannibalism in the coming apocalypse imo.

A few vegans in my fam who seem to get on with daily life no probs, and so fair play to them, though one of them spans Facebook with animal suffering stuff. A vegan friend goes further and is always posting alternatives to stuff using animals, so extra fair play to her, very commendable.

Have gone veggie for months at a time a few times (funnily enough while travelling, sans fridge), and didn't really miss meat.

Archived