The Paddies vs The Patricks. 20/12/16.

Nothing says "rebel" quite like shuffling into Scotland's largest stadium and dishing out monotonous beatings to teams with 1/20th of your budget. And continually pretending you are some sort of European footballing giant. What a cringeworthy mob.

You're hurting, I get it. Did you need the rant to show it though.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The opposition probably had a lot to do with it. 

I think it'd have only been marginally better if we played a Hearts or Aberdeen tbh. My own kids wanted to stay in cos it was too cold & I couldn't blame them. Wondered why I was going myself with the rain battering me on the way to the ground.

If we played the same opposition when we were originally meant to, I think you'd be looking at 56,000 tonight instead of the 40,000+ it appeared to look like.

Even Partick's usual travelling support looked about 2/3rds of what they usually bring.

We were very good in a few patches, a bit 'meh' the rest of it.

The fringe players havent really seized their chance to impress BR the last few games, Thistle had a few moments and chances they may regret, one of the better away performances at Celtic Park this season, couldnt have grudged them a point had one of their chances sneaked in and a decent footballing side, they pass well and dont just try to choke the life out of games the way Kilmarnock and others do, they do need a striker though, the big guy up front has shades of Amido Balde about him. Hope they stay up though.

28 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Nothing says "rebel" quite like shuffling into Scotland's largest stadium and dishing out monotonous beatings to teams with 1/20th of your budget. And continually pretending you are some sort of European footballing giant. What a cringeworthy mob.

Jack-Nicholson-gif.gif

I think it'd have only been marginally better if we played a Hearts or Aberdeen tbh. My own kids wanted to stay in cos it was too cold & I couldn't blame them. Wondered why I was going myself with the rain battering me on the way to the ground.

If we played the same opposition when we were originally meant to, I think you'd be looking at 56,000 tonight instead of the 40,000+ it appeared to look like.

Even Partick's usual travelling support looked about 2/3rds of what they usually bring.

Have to say despite the weather I thoroughly enjoyed tonight. My girls first match tonight, her only prior experience of football was at Holm Park watching Clydebank in the pissing rain. She had been asking me all week if the stadium would be like Clydebank's and her wee face when she finally seen Paradise, "Daddy it's not like that rubbish one, it's giant, I love it".

Walk into the stadium and immediately meet Hoopy who let us have some photos.

Also didn't need to sit behind my usual pillar in 411 and got a cracking view from 118 right next to a quiet but decent set of away fans.

Overall probably my most enjoyable night at Celtic Park seeing a new fan falling in love with it all just like I did back in the early 90s

Brendan quite complimentary of the Jags. Not a bad game overall and Sinclair's finish was excellent. 

Oh, well, at least he GD didn't take a pounding and we should get a few wins on board soon...

Good game from Tomas Cerny, overall not too many complaints.

7 hours ago, Tartantony said:

Have to say despite the weather I thoroughly enjoyed tonight. My girls first match tonight, her only prior experience of football was at Holm Park watching Clydebank in the pissing rain. She had been asking me all week if the stadium would be like Clydebank's and her wee face when she finally seen Paradise, "Daddy it's not like that rubbish one, it's giant, I love it".

Walk into the stadium and immediately meet Hoopy who let us have some photos.

Also didn't need to sit behind my usual pillar in 411 and got a cracking view from 118 right next to a quiet but decent set of away fans.

Overall probably my most enjoyable night at Celtic Park seeing a new fan falling in love with it all just like I did back in the early 90s

And you dare call Holm Park rubbish?

And you dare call Holm Park rubbish?

She called it rubbish, I like it haha if i get the chance I like to pop down and watch either Clydebank or Yoker.

I took her to a Bankies cup game a couple of years ago and it was pouring down and the shed was full so we had to stand on the concrete stairs at the side and she lasted until half time. Ever since then that's what she thought all football matches would be like.

Luckily I got to fall in love with the old dump Celtic Park and the new Celtic Park in the 90s [emoji1]

10 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

She called it rubbish, I like it haha if i get the chance I like to pop down and watch either Clydebank or Yoker.

I took her to a Bankies cup game a couple of years ago and it was pouring down and the shed was full so we had to stand on the concrete stairs at the side and she lasted until half time. Ever since then that's what she thought all football matches would be like.

Luckily I got to fall in love with the old dump Celtic Park and the new Celtic Park in the 90s emoji1.png

I was home at the weekend and took in the Bankies game. Pumped 4-1 by Kilsyth so your daughter might have had a point. Wasn't under the shed but it looked like a fair amount of work has been done over at the road side since my last visit, I think thanks to the college using it as a training ground for folk doing construction related courses.

On last nights game, Celtic deserved it over the 90 minutes but Thistle were very good. You'd never have guessed it was top versus bottom. Both sides really should have scored a few more.

First got to give the jags credit for making a game of it,Edwards,Osman and lawless will cause other teams problems but need a striker to put the ball in the net,from a Celtic point of view we just couldn't get that second goal maybe bad finishing or good defending,good to see Henderson get a start and young Calvin miller with his debut all-in another 3 points closer to the title.

Looked pretty decent at times, looked pretty average at times.  December seems to be taking it out of us.

Given certain recent revelations, it's rather odd to see Thistle fans using a certain subject to try point score with.  Regardless, it's horrific chat in any form. 

I doubt whether we'll ever have a better chance to take something from Parkhead. Woeful finishing yet again - Edwards, Azeez, Ziggy and Erskine all with criminal misses.

Despite his inability to convert the many chances that he creates, I like Azeez. He does a lot of things well, in my opinion - he's a great out-ball, he's a pain to play against due to his strength and pace, and he holds the ball in well. If he could finish, he wouldn't be at Firhill - but that doesn't excuse some of his misses this season. Just put your laces through it, man!

I find Edwards quite a naive player at times. We were pushing in the closing stages and had a throw-in on the Main Stand side; Edwards rushes over, takes a blatant foul throw that the referee missed and throws it straight to a Celtic player before charging in like a wind-up toy. He dispossessed Simunovic early in the first half and had a clear sight at goal, and served only to essentially pass the ball straight to Gordon. Again though, like Azeez, he does a number of things well and his energy is a great asset but we need a bit more than someone who is good at running about. That might seem harsh on a guy who has been quite a decent performer but I think he embodies the reason why we're in the situation we are - all fur coat and nae knickers.

I suspect we'd be at least a couple of points better off had Cerny been fit all season. Couple of cracking saves, particularly in the second half. I thought Ziggy had a fairly solid game and got caught in two minds whether to shoot or cross when he put his chance past the post. Welsh continued his decent recent form and I thought Lawless was handy enough at times.

We never exposed the boy Miller anywhere near enough - I thought he was struggling big time before being replaced. I always thought he was a striker but was informed he's been playing at left back for the U20's for most of the season. Rodgers must see something although I'd say he's got a fair way to go on last night's evidence.

Overall, I thought Celtic were quite a frustrating team to watch. Incisive up until a certain point and then total reluctance to shoot when the opportunity arose. That was more like the Dembele that I watched at Fulham; underwhelming to say the least. I thought McGregor was threatening in the first half but was the main culprit in Celtic's overplaying; makings of a right good player though, I reckon. Defensively, they were shaky - Simunovic looked very casual and I don't think Lustig is much of a centre half. Obviously, they've got a few big names to come back in but they'll make hard work of the Old Firm if they play like that.

Anyway, very frustrating to have played relatively well and have nought to show for it. Hope it doesn't impact too much on Friday's game as it's the start of an important trio of fixtures.

Much to my surprise I actually enjoyed last night's game. Thought Thistle did well against what is undoubtedly and by some distance the best side in Scotland.
Worth pointing out that our best players were kept till the end, obviously with the critical games coming up in mind. Celtic had similar motives in playing one or two youngsters-so it probably balanced itself out.
Comes as no surprise to any Jags fan that the only real problem we have is scoring! Still, I think that surely it's got to end sometime soon and I remain convinced that someone is going to be pumped hopefully County, Scumdee and silly Killie!
As for Celtic, you never know but I can't see the Accies putting a dent in your record and as for Warbutton's wanderers, only if you take them too lightly.

2 hours ago, Armand 2 said:

We never exposed the boy Miller anywhere near enough - I thought he was struggling big time before being replaced. I always thought he was a striker but was informed he's been playing at left back for the U20's for most of the season. Rodgers must see something although I'd say he's got a fair way to go on last night's evidence.

Miller usually plays as a forward. If he's being playing left-back for the U20s, Celtic may be short in that position. They have sent a few young defenders out on loan.

28 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Miller usually plays as a forward. If he's being playing left-back for the U20s, Celtic may be short in that position. They have sent a few young defenders out on loan.

Rodgers is quoted as saying he's moved him to left-back, even comparing him to Ryan Bertrand in today's chippy wrappers.

Archived