Virgin media

Cancelled the XL package a few weeks back and they cut it off right away, the Vbox in the room rebooted and has since come up with "thanks for inserting your newsmart card. We're just checking your details" every time I go onto another channel. Phoned up at about 10 to get the sports channels added to it and it's still coming up the same message with no sports channels activated yet. Turned the box on and off, took the card out, turned it off at the wall and still nothing. Went onto the settings and it was saying the "card never paired". What's this mean? Been nothing but a shambles since I got virgin in the house.

• 5 months later...
On 2017-5-31 at 19:41, Co.Down Hibee said:

Virgin are  cabling our area now, i'm tied in with Talk Talk until December and have a rolling contract with Sky,  is Virgin any good? after reading the above post it doesn't look good but any positive experiences?

I've got nothing but good things to say about them. My experience, especially moving into my own flat, was very positive. 

I still have Virgin until next February, albeit for a reduced rate, at which point I'll resort to dodgy box status. The novelty of having various channels has already faded, I mostly chose the package I have due to a. cashback on mortgage and b. unsureness over internet speed. 

Personally I believe Virgin have the best broadband going, depends what part of the package is most important to you.

I have a mobile, tablet, pc and ps4. Even with visitors, about 12 devices the broadband held its own. 

Our phone line hasn't worked for about 2 years though but have never got round to having an engineer come out to get that looked at.

Virgin are shite.

TV service doesnt have Sky Atlantic and won't get it. Their internet is fast - when it works. Right now they're experiencing pretty big issues across the whole country.

Have a read of the virgin media forums. I know they're likely to be harsh on Virgin since it's almost completely full of people complaining, but it gives you a fair idea of the problems customers are having.

• 1 month later...

I've had absolutely no issues with Virgin in the 5 years I've been with them. Things have stopped working in the past but they're always quick enough to fix it and, as mentioned above, don't charge for any repairs. 

Internet speed is incredible and we can be streaming three hd movies to three seperate devices with no lag issues or problems. No Sky Atlantic but I'm pretty confident I could find a stream to anything I wanted to watch from that channel. 

Guest bernardblack

Is it possibly to "downgrade" from the full sports package, to BT sports and the football only sky sports channel?

Was going to phone up, but the 45min wait would enrage me

Is it possibly to "downgrade" from the full sports package, to BT sports and the football only sky sports channel?

I'm having to do this next week. My deal ran out (the one you have to renew every year by threatening to quit) and my last bill was 110 (eye watering stuff).

I'm ditching sky sports altogether as it seems bt have them all ends up. Even the ashes cricket is on bt this winter (I know, I know).

I can't justify the price of sky sports anymore and will only add it for one month specials whenever there's something unmissable on.

My bill should be about 60 after that but no doubt I'll only get that when I threaten to leave and contact sky (again...).

5 hours ago, bernardblack said:

4 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I'm having to do this next week. My deal ran out (the one you have to renew every year by threatening to quit) and my last bill was 110 (eye watering stuff).

I'm ditching sky sports altogether as it seems bt have them all ends up. Even the ashes cricket is on bt this winter (I know, I know).

I can't justify the price of sky sports anymore and will only add it for one month specials whenever there's something unmissable on.

My bill should be about 60 after that but no doubt I'll only get that when I threaten to leave and contact sky (again...).

i suggest 2 things

1) go on the live chat, much easier and you dnt have to try understand a funny accent lol

2) if you arent a sports fanatic and only watch it at certain times, you should invest in an android box/stick etc and add sportsmania or one of its other products, you can pay for a day pass, week pass etc whenever you want, no auto renewals, no contracts and the streams are pretty damn good given the price,

i suggest 2 things
1) go on the live chat, much easier and you dnt have to try understand a funny accent lol
2) if you arent a sports fanatic and only watch it at certain times, you should invest in an android box/stick etc and add sportsmania or one of its other products, you can pay for a day pass, week pass etc whenever you want, no auto renewals, no contracts and the streams are pretty damn good given the price,

I do like sport and bt seems to have it covered.

I'll get a load of live football, and the ashes over the winter, as well as baseball, and the outstanding documentaries.

Sky Sports doesn't have enough to keep me paying through the nose. I like cricket but I'll watch this weekend's test match and then just rely on test match special.

They're even losing the golf majors. But I'll pick and choose any months I fancy (Ryder cup etc).

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I do like sport and bt seems to have it covered.

I'll get a load of live football, and the ashes over the winter, as well as baseball, and the outstanding documentaries.

Sky Sports doesn't have enough to keep me paying through the nose. I like cricket but I'll watch this weekend's test match and then just rely on test match special.

They're even losing the golf majors. But I'll pick and choose any months I fancy (Ryder cup etc).

if you are on virginmedia they might still do free BT sports if you have the XL package, again though if its only BT then drop it all and just add BT sports if the price is worthwhile

if you are on virginmedia they might still do free BT sports if you have the XL package, again though if its only BT then drop it all and just add BT sports if the price is worthwhile

I've got the xl. That's why I'm at 110 a month.

The broadband and phone too - I really can't be bothered with all the upheaval. Every time I call to renew the deal I'm happy with what I get. I just need to do that again this time but I've decided to ditch sky sports. It just doesn't offer enough for what I'm looking for.

2 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I've got the xl. That's why I'm at 110 a month.

The broadband and phone too - I really can't be bothered with all the upheaval. Every time I call to renew the deal I'm happy with what I get. I just need to do that again this time but I've decided to ditch sky sports. It just doesn't offer enough for what I'm looking for.

In your case mate bin the xl and sports etc and pay for sportsnation or mania, even if you take the 6month one for 26 quid and get two months out of it, it's two months for the price of sky sports for a month

Can anyone help me with a process question here...

I've just cancelled my virgin media deal. They made a decent offer but not quite good enough so I cancelled. It will take 30 days.

I'm hoping to not switch. But do I need to phone sky and get an offer from them or will virgin contact me to get me to stay?

Do they automatically try and keep people who have cancelled? Or do they wait until I've set up a new deal with a competitor?

12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Can anyone help me with a process question here...

I've just cancelled my virgin media deal. They made a decent offer but not quite good enough so I cancelled. It will take 30 days.

I'm hoping to not switch. But do I need to phone sky and get an offer from them or will virgin contact me to get me to stay?

Do they automatically try and keep people who have cancelled? Or do they wait until I've set up a new deal with a competitor?

its pure luck and nothing else mate, retentions might phone they might not, there is no way to guarantee they will phone and offer a better deal

its pure luck and nothing else mate, retentions might phone they might not, there is no way to guarantee they will phone and offer a better deal

Shit.

Oh well. I'll need to actually get my finger out then.

Are they not connected in an admin sense? Like when I agree to join sky will that not automatically create a contact with virgin to allow a switch over to happen? Or is that not a thing?