If I weren't a ______ fan, I'd be a ______ fan (born/choice)

Myself and my da almost had to do this for real in the late 90s when Thistle were a bawhair from going out of business. We both agreed the OF were a no-no, as were Airdrie, Clyde and Accies (who are/were generally good guys but had annoyed a lot of Jags at the time by girning about the state of the Firhill pitch during their brief stay - a pitch that had been ruined by having Accies play on it!)

Hampden would have been a bugger to get to from where we were to the north of Glasgow, so if Save the Jags had failed then we'd have probably split our time between Motherwell and St.Mirren.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, KingBeastie said:

When I was a kid my Dad took me to Inverness Thistle games but I wasn't really into it.  It was always freezing and I had to wait outside the pub quite often, there's only so many "coke and a crisps for the boy" that one wee kid can stomach!  It was Grampian TV then, so Aberdeen seemed like the closest place to Inverness that had a big team so I had a soft spot for the Dons.  If the Premiership was a competitive league I'd still rather see the Dons win it if it wasn't Inverness.  (HA!  I know, I know!)
Dons fans used to have a soft spot for Inverness I think, as they wanted to see teams from the north do well rather than all the central belt teams, but I don't know if this is still the case, maybe some Dons can comment.

I have a liking for Hibs, it's a great away day, great stadium, their fans are good laugh and they are pretty sh*te so have never really been a threat on the pitch! :P;)

Certainly, we love having County and Caley Thistle in the League, far better away days than another trip down the A90 to drudgeries of towns in the Central Belt.

The soft spot may have gone a wee bit though given the transfer dealings recently and Kenny Cameron's comments. But nowhere near the extent of wanting Inverness or County relegated.

There is a very real danger I'd have been one of THEM or considerably better but still not great, a Killie fan. Some of my family are from Ayshire / the weeg although I grew up in Aberdeen and moved away in the late 80's.

In one of my least favourite childhood memories I had to wear a full Killie home strip that my gran had given me for my Christmas to a summer football day at Hazelhead park. Aberdeen primary age kids (and at least one of the grown ups running it) took the piss mercilessly. It goes without saying that I was utterly seething at my elder brother who received the classic 1987 JVC chequered strip, from the same gran.

Fortunately, my dimension jumping invention is still on the drawing board so it looks like I won't have to bludgeon to death my *** or *** alternate self with a well fired rowie or have the opportunity to torment my Killie alternate for some time. 

Its been Caledonian then Inverness Caledonian Thistle for me. My father wasn't that interested in football and there was little interest elsewhere in the family apart from an uncle who supported Aberdeen and Derby County, so it was entirely up to myself which team I would follow.

Plenty of Caley fans also supported Rangers, even so as a teenager this dual support thing never appealed to me.

17 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Probably no one.
My family isn't into football and neither was I. Me and a few Thistle supporting mates used to be into the NFL at school. They invited me along to see Thistle and I just kept going.

Mind an American Football team played at Firhill in the 80s? The Glasgow Diamonds. I mind we went to see them a couple of times.....WHAT A BORING SPORT!!

Unlike their music video.... http://glasgowdiamonds.blogspot.co.uk which is tremendous.

35 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

There is a very real danger I'd have been one of THEM or considerably better but still not great, a Killie fan. Some of my family are from Ayshire / the weeg although I grew up in Aberdeen and moved away in the late 80's.

In one of my least favourite childhood memories I had to wear a full Killie home strip that my gran had given me for my Christmas to a summer football day at Hazelhead park. Aberdeen primary age kids (and at least one of the grown ups running it) took the piss mercilessly. It goes without saying that I was utterly seething at my elder brother who received the classic 1987 JVC chequered strip, from the same gran.

Fortunately, my dimension jumping invention is still on the drawing board so it looks like I won't have to bludgeon to death my *** or *** alternate self with a well fired rowie or have the opportunity to torment my Killie alternate for some time. 

So Willie was nearly a Billy or a Liam? ;)

My dad was from glasgow and supported rangers as a boy, but he moved to Kilmarnock around 1986 when Killie were in the old second division. Next door neighbour was a die hard killie fan and they went to rugby park on a saturday. As a result I went to Killie games. 

Could easily have been a hibs fan as I was born/bred in Leith and used to go to watch them as we could walk to the games (actually it wsas usually reserve games as they were free I think). Anyway, thankfully my big brother took me to Tynecastle and that was me hooked. Nowadays, if Hearts ceased to be I would likely pack in watching but if I had to choose it would be Dunfermline as a few of my mates are Pars fans

3 hours ago, The Saintee said:

There are photos of me somewhere in a Hearts strip that my mum bought in a closing down sale :thumbsdown

3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

From the club shop aye?

ba-doom tiss

I think you'll find it was a GOING DOWN sale.

Never been to one myself, but I hear they are quite common in Edinburgh and Dundee.

Yours

aDONis

Almost certainly Hibs or Hearts. Grew up in Edinburgh but wasn't into football until I moved up north a few years ago and a mate invited me to a County match. Fell in love with the game and haven't looked back!

Old man is/was a Rangers fan although far more into his Jr football now. Mothers side are Celtic. Never influenced by either side to support their teams. I fell in love with the green & white Hoops of Celtic & being an east end kid, I loved seeing the big floodlights across the East End sky at night & the sound of the crowd cheering from my home 2 miles away from Celtic Park.

I can't think I'd have supported Rangers as I just feel nothing for them & never have.

My Granda stayed up of Queen Margaret Drive & was a 5 minute walk to Firhill. He wasn't into football himself but took me out for the day as a boy to a Thistle game. They were in the lower leagues, & I've no idea who they were playing but I remember my Granda chatting to a bloke working for Thistle around the Turnstiles & telling him it was my first time going to see Thistle. The bloke mentioned how Thistle were on an awful run & hadn't won in a long time. Anyway they won that day & as we left the same guy was saying I was a lucky charm & jokingly begging my Granda to bring me back again but I piped up I was a Celtic fan.

Years later on my return to Firhill to watch Celtic play, Thistle beat us there....damn bloody lucky mascot again. So possibly I'd be a Thistle fan. A Shettleston Jr's fan...or maybe even Hibs who I don't mind.

Archived