If I weren't a ______ fan, I'd be a ______ fan (born/choice)

Probably the DABs. My old man was of the generation that would go to Dens one week and United the next, and took me to both Dens and Tannadice as a youngster. For reasons unknown I preferred Dens, and started going to all the home games and persuaded him to take me to a few of the aways. The game which swung it was a derby at Tannadice, with me a few mates getting crammed into the top corner near the fence of that steep fucker of an enclosure. Tommy Coyne scored after 2 minutes which resulted in utter bedlam and I was pretty much hooked. 

I had been to a couple of games a few years before that but was too young to remember much about them, one was the 5-1 scudding of Celtic in 1980, the other a 3-0 Aberdeen win at Tannadice (the season after they won the Prem at Dens I think) 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Family would have meant Celtic if i wasnt at Dens. I suppose the DABS should be mentioned but my dad was a Dees man and all my core pals at school. I have no emotional connection with the DABS even if from a purely fitba point of view i can recognise they had a great team in the 80s.

Thankfully I have no relations that support either half of the OF, so there was never going to be that kind of influence in my life.

Following any family tradition would have led me to either Hearts, Brechin or Newcastle.

3 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Inverness are my 'big team' because I've spent a decent amount of time up there and absolutely love it. In fact I had an ICT kit before I had a Sons one...Make of that what you will.

I'd no doubt be a Partick Thistle/Queens Park/Clyde supporter if Sons didn't exist in this parallel universe.

^ ^ ^ good c**t.

Papa and his dad were Thistle fans who stayed near St Georges Cross. He took me to my first game a 2-2 draw in a cup replay with Killie.  My mum took me to a quarter final with Aberdeen later in our cup run that year. So was in the blood from the outset.

Went to a school which was 95% Rangers and I used to go to Ibrox with a pal at school. Still went to Jags as well with a couple of the few Jags fans there.

Thankfully I really got into the Jags around 1990 when John Lambie set the club on an upward trajectory. 

Went right off Rangers when I discovered what their songs and shite were all about and I developed a wider interest in Scottish football.

Used to enjoy watching all the Scottish teams in Europe and my great Uncle who was a Rangers fan took me to a few big games. Also went to CP a few times with one of Thistle pals.

In terms of who I could have supported I could have been a *** or possibly a Killie fan as my dad stayed in Ayrshire. The only football connection I have in the formative process was him dropping me off at Rugby Park for my first Thistle away game.

A family friend got me interested in Leicester City and met up with a lad from Swansea and I've been down a few times since they moved to the Liberty stadium.

So if Thistle fucked off to a UEFA Superleague or extinction I'd probably not really have a Scottish team. I've been to St Mirren a few times during my college years and Albino Rovers but I'm no way a supporter. 

Old Firm? Not my cup of tea although I've got a few acquaintances who follow them but not many even go to games now. 

If I stayed outside Glasgow I could quite happily go along to watch the local team. In that case I'd follow Dundee quite readily although I'd be a bit torn if I stayed in Edinburgh as I enjoy a trip to Easter Road and Tynecastle. 

All of my uncles and cousins on both sides of my family are cream buns. I think though that my dad's utter hatred of the old firm's baggage would have seen me taken to Queens Park if Firhill wasn't an option. Thank f**k my dad's a good c**t.

My best mate as a kid used to support East Stirlingshire so probably them.

I reckon I could if they were at Firs, but now no chance. As a kid I used to love going to Gayfield, not for the football but for running about playing with my pals. Liked the football but it was a sideshow to start with. If I lived in Methil or Cumbernauld or Stirling I don't think I'd become hooked or go on to support they sides, watching football in these places is a terrible experience.

I did choose to be a Jags fan. We are the kind of family that chooses.

I went to Raith Rovers and Aberdeen games as a primary school kid just because we lived in Kirkcaldy and Aberdeen, but I was supporting Thistle by about a decade ago when my interest in rugby began to wane.

I guess if we'd stayed in Kirkcaldy I might have wound-up a Raith Rovers fan.

My dad never really followed football much but was tentatively a Thistle fan. My mum supports Dunfermline because she grew up there and my grandad on that side, who grew up on the south side, had always been a Celtic fan. No one else in my immediate family follows football especially closely. I've got a cousin whose fiancé supports ICT and my other cousins, being from Hampshire, all follow English football. From what I can remember there's an Arsenal, a Chelsea and a Spurs fan among them.

20 hours ago, KingBeastie said:

My Dad's a Leicester fan too.
He moved there when he was about 11 (I think), from Fife.  Met my Mum there.  They both moved to Inverness when they were 21.
I've still got family there, I don't give a sh1t about english football but I've probably seen Leicester City play more times than many of my Liverpool daft mates.

Yes, you probably have...

Choices, choices.

Without Eberdeeeen, I might have picked my local team Culter FC (pronounced kootar).  In an alternative world, I'd like to think I was harder than I am, so I would also have been a Young Culter Mental, so hud at ye Randal bassas!

Failing that, I might have supported the second best team I have seen at Pittodrie... Bayern Munich!

But let's face it, what would be the attraction of Brietner, Rummenigge and Beckenbauer once you've seen Simpson, Miller and Frank McDougall play!  So probably not Bayern, especially since Luca Toni is a knvt!

I tried a load of London clubs when I moved down before finally settling on Reading FC out west.  So I'll say Reading, just for the glory, we've won the Simod Cup dontchaknow!

URRRRRRRRRZZZZ!

aDONis

p47-Michael-Gilkes.jpg

Some players I never saw play, in Reading FCs traditional colours of er... Yellow?!

Archived